I Mostly catch and release
62%
If its legal Ill keep it!
22%

Total votes : 37

Catch and release

Postby kiwismakebetterhunters » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:08 am

Wat do you reakon Guys .
When it comes to fresh water trout I mostly catch and release.
Its important to preserve our sport I reacon!
New Zealand

kiwismakebetterhunters
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:42 am

I mostly do the same as well.
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckdog » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:11 pm

I keep most of what I catch. But I dont keep little guy's, or wallhanger's either. Never pass up a chance to feed the family a nice batch of fish!!!
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby Snaph » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:41 pm

I fish for food. I don't really trout fish anymore, so if I catch one it goes back in. Bass fishing is fun, but I don't like the way they taste, they go back in. But if they are pearch, walleye, blue gill, crappie, rock bass or big sunnys...welcome to my plate.
Snaph
hunter

Postby kiwismakebetterhunters » Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:29 pm

Alot of our mountains tiny streams here have good quality fish without the quantity.By taking one fish your putting a huge dent in the rivers ecology.
Whereas some large lakes and the odd big river especialy ones that are stocked (which arnt many) it doesnt hurt to take one occasionally.Before americans came here with C&R 30 years ago, people when backcountry fishing used to just leave any trout they couldnt carry home on the stones gasping for breath!!!!!How people didnt think of putting them back is beyond me.

Happy independance :salude:
New Zealand

kiwismakebetterhunters
hunter

Postby Mike M. » Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:33 pm

I catch and release all of my freshwater fish except for trout.

The trout fishery is pretty stocked fish, much more put and take in the lakes and ponds so I keep a few trout for the table when I go trout fishing. Mass stocks some really nice sized trout 14-20 inches and even the occasional broodstock atlantic salmon into the lakes and ponds. I have not caught a salmon yet but more and more are caught every year as the state stocks more of them. Some of these salmon (non breeding fish) are close to and sometimes over 20lbs.

Saltwater fishing is a different story. I will take a home a keeper striped bass if I catch one. (min. size is 28 inches to be a keeper) The limit on stripers is 2 but one is more than enough for me. A 28-30 inch striper is close to 10lbs so that feeds quite a few people. I keep a few stripers a season as they are excellent tasting fish straight from the Atlantic. Flounder are also very good to eat.

Overall, I would say I release 95 + % of the fish I catch in a given season.
Mike M.
hunter

Postby frazier2209 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:50 pm

I keep all keeper (10") crappie. Anything else gets thrown back.
frazier2209
hunter

Postby gahunter » Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:59 pm

Depends on species, where I'm fishing, and if I feel like cleaning them. When bass fishing farm ponds, I usually keep 10 or so small ones for a feller that helps around the farm. He loves them and it also helps keep the pond from getting overpopulated. I keep all bream, catfish, and crappie. They are mmm, mmm good. :salude:
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:28 pm

Ill normally catch and release stuff from lakes.....

But if Im gunna go through the trouble of "combat fishing" as we call it up here...... I wanna keep it!!!

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:26 am

I tend to release the larger trout as they are the breeders and have the best genetics to be passed on. :salude:
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby take em' 77 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:34 pm

ARN "combat fishing"?? :toofunny: whats that?? sounds fun :thumbsup:
take em' 77
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:55 pm

i am in about the 75% range for C&R but have been known to make sure there is plenty trout, bass, catfish, bream, etc. if'n the need arises to have a fish fry.
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby kiwismakebetterhunters » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:40 pm

I always use as heavy a leader I can get away with and try to release the fish without removing them from the water or else they will probably die!!!!! :salude:
New Zealand

kiwismakebetterhunters
hunter

Postby take em' 77 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:49 pm

kiwi, why would the fish die if they are removed from the water?
take em' 77
hunter

Postby kiwismakebetterhunters » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:27 am

Damage to the gills through exposure to excess air which also adds additional stress causing lactic acid build up. If you have to take it from the water do it only for 10-15 seconds max. Although they may look fine as they swim away who knows.The longer its outta water the less chance it has to survive.
Sorry I should of said that they might well die! :salude: :thumbsup:
New Zealand

kiwismakebetterhunters
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:44 pm

I do quite a bit of tournament fishing on my home lake, so all my largemouths are catch and release. I caught a nice 5 or 6 over the holiday weekend that was released.

The only fish a keep regularly are crappie and flathead catfish.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby donell67 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:13 pm

i dont trout fish much. mostly for bass and dang they taste good. :thumbsup:
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Webfoot12 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:05 am

I release everything I catch. I'm not a big fish eater anyway. When I catch a fish worth mounting I take good measurements and get a few good pictures and take them to a place that can make me a replica (have yet to do) from my pics and other data. I let them go so someone else can catch them and hopefully they will do the same.
Rest in peace my friend... Mocha- Jan 20th, 2001-Feb 1st, 2009.
Webfoot12
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:23 am

Kiwi I told my wife I want to come to your island and catch BIG brown's. I saw some pics of the streams and the fish and was amazed by it.

Anyone hear of the last weekend bass tourney at Grand Lake in Oklahoma? Over 400 bass were found dead, dumped out after the tourney. They didn't have a good system to keep the fish alive at weigh in. To hot, warm water and not enough oxygen in the tanks and the fish all died. The tourney folks are in some deep sh** over this one. How damn stupid could you really be?
:hammering:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:42 pm

I hate that HuntMQ1. I fished a tournament like that on Lake of the Ozarks one year. It wasn't quite that bad at all, but we had about 20 dead fish between 120 boats or so. The next year my dad, my uncle, and I all stepped up and helped the people out, because my uncle has the aerator and tanks that they should've had.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:43 am

On the Great Lakes we have a put and take fishery. Every salmon that is on the end of one of my trolling rods goes into the box, unless it is a real small King Salmon. When bass fishing everything goes back in the water, I am still looking for that 10 lbs wall hanger to have a replica made. When I go down to Arkansas for the trout fishing I may keep one or two if we are grilling up some but most go back to grow up. Walleye and perch are another story, I love that meat.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:12 am

Depends if I'm going fishing to get dinner, or just to have fun. Bass taste pretty good to me, but I always throw them back. I just enjoy catching bass for fun. My friends and I will go have our own little tournaments. I've caught a couple 8,9, and 10 pounders that most people would probly have mounted, but I just throw em back.

Now, if I go crappie or bream fishing, it's cuz I plan on eating them. Man they are soooo good. As long as they are a good size and not too small, then they are goin in the cooler.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:06 am

Having a replica made of this one I caught Tuesday while fishing with my family. It was a real treat for me to get a nice Brown like this. Been fishing my whole life and finally got a nice Brown. 21 inches long with a 12 inch girth. Didn't get a weight though! Wanted to get him back in the water. I hate killing big fish like these.

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=310343&c=550&z=1"]Image[/url]
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Return to Fishing