Frog Giggin

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Frog Giggin

Postby duckhnter4life » Sun May 25, 2008 10:22 am

Hey guys Im thinkin about trying my hand at frog giggin but never done it and need some tips on where and when to go.
If any of yall have ever frog gigged tell some stories.
Justin

1-specklebelly
1-mallard
1-blue wing teal
1-grey duck
3-wood ducks
(only been out twice)
duckhnter4life
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Sun May 25, 2008 10:29 am

Best times of course are after the sun goes down. You will need some form of light preferably a spot light. Then you will need something to catch the frog wether it be a gig, spear, boat paddle or your hand. The most important thing is to keep the light in the frogs eyes and dont get in between the light and the frog then once you get close enough grab it or stab it or whatever you chose to use.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby bayouboy » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:38 pm

down here we use a froggin net or catch them w/ our hands if they're in the water or tough to reach. i don't like to gig them because it makes a mess pulling the frog off those big barbs. we generally head out around ten o'clock to midnight. also, if you use a regular spot light, make sure you run it from a battery.
bayouboy
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:13 pm

go at night. have someone drive the boat and someone at the front with the gig ready. use a flounder gig also. its alot easier to get the frog off with one of them. oh and make sure you put them in an ice chest with a lid that snaps down! yes frogs CAN jump out of an ice chest with a lid that sits on it.
agengo02
hunter

Postby huntnsac » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:44 am

I have gotten bullfrogs with a gig, hand, net , and fishing pole. At night we would use a gig with a flashlight and find the frogs by sight or sound. At night you can see the light reflecting off the frogs eyes. You need at least two people at night. One to hold the light steady on the frog and the other to gig, grab or net thr frog. I suppose you could go solo and use a headlamp. I have snagged frogs with a fishing lure during the daytime. The frogs see movement and will try to eat whatever you put in front of them. Good eating too.
huntnsac
hunter

Postby duckslayer82 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:33 am

Agreed with the nighttime theory. Use a spotlight if possible. Frogs eyes light up just like a deer in the headlights. Have someone hold the light and we always used a bamboo pole with heavy fishing line on it with a small treble hook tied to the line. move the treble hook in front of their face and 95% of the time they'll eat it. If they dont eat it put the treble hook just under their chin and with a quick flip of the wrist bring em to the boat.

GREAT TIMES AND GOOD EATS!!!!

MMMMMMMMMMMMM
"teach a kid to hunt and fish so they wont steal and deal"
duckslayer82
hunter

Postby dog walker » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:34 am

We will sometimes have just 2 people to a boat one running the boat with a spot light and the other on the bow with a hard hat light.We just grab them but we do have a pole with a grabber on the end for the hard to reach frogs.We just look for the eyes and as stated do not block the light.I throw mine in a fish basket,its keeps the number of escapees down.
dog walker
hunter

Postby floating redneck » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:45 pm

a canoe .22 and spotlight just make sure that you use good safety to avoid ricochets
"remember im pulling for you, we're all in this together" Red Green
floating redneck
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:52 pm

Cant use firepower here.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Original Al » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:49 pm

.22 out in the country, I got a 15' pole with a 3 prong gig for hitting the subdivision ponds in town.

Make sure to have plenty of beer on hand.
I ain't gone to bed with no ugly women, but I've sure woke up with a few

SEMO expert and hater of all things OOS

Duck hunters in the bootheel are the biggest violators in the Mississippi flyway

Take a kid golfing. My hunting spots are too crowded
Original Al
hunter

Postby clemaire2 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:27 pm

dog walker wrote:We will sometimes have just 2 people to a boat one running the boat with a spot light and the other on the bow with a hard hat light.We just grab them but we do have a pole with a grabber on the end for the hard to reach frogs.We just look for the eyes and as stated do not block the light.I throw mine in a fish basket,its keeps the number of escapees down.

that fish basket look like it works great i like to use a pyrimid crawfish trap with about a 2 foot peice of pipe on top they cant clime out and they can jump out eather and all you have to do is drop them in you dont have to worry if another one will jump out when you put the next frog in
clemaire2
hunter

Re: Frog Giggin

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:23 am

We have used a pole with fishing line,treble hook and red cloth in the day time.

The gig is the standard but we also have a fancy "Spring loaded" that grabs the frog and does not put any holes in it.
Sure is a lot better than all the blood and guts and the smell................

Never tried the boat to get close and hand grab them.

Haven't been able to use a .22 since 1956, here in Nevada ...................per the regulations.
Sagebrush
hunter

Re: Frog Giggin

Postby frogslayer » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:32 pm

i always use a four or five prong spear and 5/8" conduit or my favorite is my nice aluminum telescoping frog gig pole that i bought at a local bait shop. also i like my led head lamp. leaves my hands free for a cold coors and my gig pole. never been dissapointed.
frogslayer
Newb

Return to Fishing