Explain Me This...

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler

Explain Me This...

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:57 pm

Why would anybody choose mono over braid? Other than some mono lines are clear, what are the advantages of mono over braid? Braid has zero stretch and is way stronger than mono. The only thing I could see is for top water where braid can sink where mono will float a little better. I switched to braid and doubt I'll ever string up with mono again.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.


jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?


Image
User avatar
Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 8475
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:14 pm
Location: Blount County, TN


Postby water_swatter01 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:15 pm

I keep power pro on half my rods which are mainly for bass and pike. The other half I use 8 pound test trilene for panfish and walleyes. It just depends what your fishing for. I think once I get around to it I'm gonna rig my walleye rod up with 10 pound power pro to see if the fish care about visibility.
User avatar
water_swatter01
hunter
 
Posts: 642
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:03 am
Location: MN/WI

Postby LaRedneck » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:35 pm

Some people don't like the fraying that comes with braided line, me personally I'm with ya. The first time I used braided line I ripped a small bass right out the water and was like man that was awesome. I love the hook set that you get with braided line, I'm a hugh worm fisherman so I need a good line, sensitive yet strong. Braided line can be a pain with a bird nest, lol. You also need to learn how to tie it too. I used spider wire for a while and kept losing baits not understanding why found out there was a special way to tie which I didn't want to learn because I like the way I tie so I went to fire line and will never change a thing.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
User avatar
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 3671
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:52 am
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Postby #1wingnut » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:14 pm

I'll give you 3 reasons

1. Sometimes I want that stretch. when I'm spinning for trout in small waters and that 6 lb brown hits my spinner like a freight train.
I want that line to stretch a little bit. too much of a hook set sometimes will pull a lure right out of a fish.

2. Small clear water = small clear line

3. be careful with that braid, it'll put an end to a good rod real quick. I broke a shimono clarus this year setting a hook on a big striper. Broke it right above the handle. glad I buy good rods. lifetime warranty. BTW. that striper was pushing 35lbs :crying:

4. $$$$$$$ power pro at 25 buck for 300 yards.
about 3x's what an good mono cost.

5. braid will pick up more junk while trolling than mono.
I'm not real sure why that is but it seems to grab floating weeds,
grass and witches hair more than mono does. It prolly has to do with the fact that its not a smooth finish like mono, so the debre
sticks to it better? not real sure but that been my experience.

6. top water..... mono floats better.

With all that, braid does have it place. and I use it working swim baits or worms in heavy cover. I also like it for some of my cranks when I want that extra long cast. It cast great.

alright so I cant count. but I can catch fish. :thumbsup:
User avatar
#1wingnut
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 2353
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:36 am

Postby TommyW » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:57 pm

Preacher I had Power Pro on a rod for bay fishing. The sensitivity was great. The cost of it, is what made me use mono.
WHAT SAID IN THE BLIND STAYS IN THE BLIND
TommyW
hunter
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:54 pm
Location: Bear, Delaware

Postby LaRedneck » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:00 pm

#1wingnut wrote:I'll give you 3 reasons

1. Sometimes I want that stretch. when I'm spinning for trout in small waters and that 6 lb brown hits my spinner like a freight train.
I want that line to stretch a little bit. too much of a hook set sometimes will pull a lure right out of a fish.

2. Small clear water = small clear line

3. be careful with that braid, it'll put an end to a good rod real quick. I broke a shimono clarus this year setting a hook on a big striper. Broke it right above the handle. glad I buy good rods. lifetime warranty. BTW. that striper was pushing 35lbs :crying:

4. $$$$$$$ power pro at 25 buck for 300 yards.

1. I'll give that to ya, I've pulled hooks out of bass before too but if you have your drag set you won't have to worry about it

2. They make nearly invisible line for clear water

3. How can you say that the line caused the rod to break, it wouldn't have broken with mono, I've been using braided line for 10 years now and I can honestly say I've never broken a rod.

4. I think braided line last longer than mono which is why it cost more. If it was cheap and still as good the companies wouldn't make as much money since you don't need it as much

5. True, the frays pick up trash, I hate it when the dadgum cotton trees are blooming

6. Can't say that's true, for one I don't let my bait sit forever to let the line drop, fire line's diameter keeps it a float pretty good to me

I love talking fishing in the off season
about 3x's what an good mono cost.

5. braid will pick up more junk while trolling than mono.
I'm not real sure why that is but it seems to grab floating weeds,
grass and witches hair more than mono does. It prolly has to do with the fact that its not a smooth finish like mono, so the debre
sticks to it better? not real sure but that been my experience.

6. top water..... mono floats better.

With all that, braid does have it place. and I use it working swim baits or worms in heavy cover. I also like it for some of my cranks when I want that extra long cast. It cast great.

alright so I cant count. but I can catch fish. :thumbsup:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
User avatar
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 3671
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:52 am
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:24 pm

I don't mind the cost of braid. It doesn't get nicked up as easy, has more memory, and has great sensitivity. I agree with La, it does last longer because you're not always having to cut it everytime you run through cover because of nicks. I haven't lost anymore fish on braid than mono, I've probably kept more because of the sensitivity. The only thing I don't like is that it's a pain to cut and you have to use a palomar knot (which I really like because it is fast and strong) or a uni knot (pain in the butt to tie, I hate to tie it but it's really strong so I tie it anyway). What do you use on your fireline La? I used to have some fireline on my other baitcaster, but I stripped off the last 25 yds today and put 30lb power pro in it's place.


think you meant "LESS" memory. :thumbsup:
thats prolly what impressed me the most. when you bend it it stays
straighten it back out and it stays straight. coming off the spool it acts like it was never on a spool. good stuff.
unlike mono that will come outa your guides still curled up.

the other thing I forgot to mention is that it will ware out guides on "lesser quality rods" as it will cut into the guides.
if your using braids try and keep with ceramic inserts on your guides. plastic or metals will "cut" with braided lines.

as for cutting; Pick up a decent pair of small scissors. they cut it better than anything else I have found.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.


jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?


Image
User avatar
Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 8475
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:14 pm
Location: Blount County, TN

Postby Grouse » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:31 pm

I use the braid on my trolling rods but use a 20 or 15 # mono leader w/swivel.
On my jiggers or casters it mono all the way.
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.
User avatar
Grouse
hunter
 
Posts: 402
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:39 am
Location: Petenwell flowage Wisconsin

Postby greenster » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:36 pm

You wont catch me using braid. Just a personal preference..I hate the stuff.

Mono and carbon for me only.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
User avatar
greenster
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 4519
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: arkansas Green Timber

Postby Grouse » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:56 pm

AND WE SHOULD respect his athority...ya :hammer:
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.
User avatar
Grouse
hunter
 
Posts: 402
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:39 am
Location: Petenwell flowage Wisconsin

Postby LaRedneck » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:13 pm

Preacher1011 wrote:I don't mind the cost of braid. It doesn't get nicked up as easy, has more memory, and has great sensitivity. I agree with La, it does last longer because you're not always having to cut it everytime you run through cover because of nicks. I haven't lost anymore fish on braid than mono, I've probably kept more because of the sensitivity. The only thing I don't like is that it's a pain to cut and you have to use a palomar knot (which I really like because it is fast and strong) or a uni knot (pain in the butt to tie, I hate to tie it but it's really strong so I tie it anyway). What do you use on your fireline La? I used to have some fireline on my other baitcaster, but I stripped off the last 25 yds today and put 30lb power pro in it's place.


Do you mean what sort of tie do I use? Its a cross between the improved clinch and the uni knot. My dad taught it to me from day one and I've never changed because it worked for him and I trusted him since I new he was in a lot of tourneys as a kid. Anyhow let me see if I can explain it. Run the line through the eye, have line from reel in left hand tag end in right with bait hanging. Bring tag line over to left hand while holding some of the tag end, create a loop with tag end while twisting around both lines underneath your hands, make about 7 or eight twist then run tag end through the loop up top, wet line with mouth and tighten all the way down to hook, trim line. I'd do a hole special deal but kinda hard in Iraq, lol. Anyhow always keep a set of finger nail clippers with you, that's what I use to cut my line with, quick and easy.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
User avatar
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 3671
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:52 am
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Postby #1wingnut » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:20 pm

This is a great site guys. Check it out. :thumbsup:

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishi ... animatedkn
User avatar
#1wingnut
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 2353
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:36 am

Postby orangefoot » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:31 pm

[quote="greenster"]You wont catch me using braid. quote]

Same here i hate that crap. :thumbsdown:
"Grind Em"
Image
User avatar
orangefoot
hunter
 
Posts: 1025
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:18 pm
Location: West Monroe Louisiana

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:22 pm

Why do you guys hate braid?

And I don't know who hit "edit" on my post instead of quote, I did mean less memory. Don't know who to thank though...
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.


jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?


Image
User avatar
Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 8475
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:14 pm
Location: Blount County, TN

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:32 pm

#1wingnut wrote:This is a great site guys. Check it out. :thumbsup:

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishi ... animatedkn


Nice site wingnut. :thumbsup: From what I saw on there, could your knot be the Rapala knot La?
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.


jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?


Image
User avatar
Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 8475
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:14 pm
Location: Blount County, TN

Postby #1wingnut » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:05 pm

What the......... :huh:
dont know how that happen preach? :huh:
that was my post with your name on it :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I must a hit the edit instead of quote :oops:
User avatar
#1wingnut
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 2353
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:36 am

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:02 am

No worries wingnut, I do that sometimes myself.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.


jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?


Image
User avatar
Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 8475
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:14 pm
Location: Blount County, TN

Postby LaRedneck » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:14 am

No preach it more favors the uni knot
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
User avatar
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 3671
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:52 am
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:50 pm

I've been thinking about putting some mono on the end of my mono with a uni to uni knot to give me that little bit of strech I might need. I have noticed that I do lose a fish every once in awhile, I guess that's because there isn't any stretch. Don't get me wrong I'm sure mono has gained me more fish than it's lost me, but I want them ALL. So the question is if you get a 10 lb test line and use a four or five foot section on it shouldn't it be higher than 10 lb test? If you shorten a piece of something it's strength rises. So, does the same apply to mono line?
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.


jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?


Image
User avatar
Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 8475
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:14 pm
Location: Blount County, TN

Postby pike_mazter » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:58 pm

I only use braided line for pike, salmon, catfish and carp. I always tip with either monofilament or flourocarbon though. I am a firm believer of using clear line if at all possible. I never use braided line (especially spiderwire) for any type of trout/steelhead.


The mono has a little give to it depending on what brand you use. I have been using either P-Line or Trilene Sensation for years and have yet to find anything I like better than the two.
User avatar
pike_mazter
hunter
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:49 am
Location: Lapeer County / Sanilac County Michigan

Postby LaRedneck » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:55 pm

Preacher1011 wrote:I've been thinking about putting some mono on the end of my mono with a uni to uni knot to give me that little bit of strech I might need. I have noticed that I do lose a fish every once in awhile, I guess that's because there isn't any stretch. Don't get me wrong I'm sure mono has gained me more fish than it's lost me, but I want them ALL. So the question is if you get a 10 lb test line and use a four or five foot section on it shouldn't it be higher than 10 lb test? If you shorten a piece of something it's strength rises. So, does the same apply to mono line?


Are you talking about attaching a mono leader to your braided line? That's cool but me personally I'd got with a swivel for my own confidence. Do you retie after every catch or at least after a few. That could be were your losing some fish. About the pounded question, I think your chain is only as strong as your weakest link so 10 lbs is 10 lbs but I could be wrong I'm not a physics major, lol.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
User avatar
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 3671
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:52 am
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Postby Kurt » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:50 am

Use mono when trolling for 10 pound walleyes on lake erie and some other places for big fish. But jigging and rigging in i prefer a braid. I let the situation dictate what i will use
Locked and Loaded
User avatar
Kurt
hunter
 
Posts: 361
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:46 am
Location: Mobridge,South Dakota


Return to Fishing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest