Duck Hunting Forum banner

How much drag?

880 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  SUTHERNDUCKHUNTER 
#1 ·
How do you tell how much drag is the right amount of drag?

#3 ·
I also depends on line poundage too. But I think what your after is the biggest key. I fish for bass mostly so you don't need that much drag, I basically unscrew the drag until I can bump the rod and the bait falls no more than a few inches. Its also depends on how sensative your reel is and also how good you are with an open face. If your just starting off set is towards the stiff side till you get the hang of it. Less drag mean farther throws but also means your strip line when you set the hook if its too light.

#4 ·
For me it all depends - with a bait caster I tend to match the spool drag and magnetic drag to lure weight and other conditions such as wind.
Using spinning reels or trolling, I may modify the drag for the bite and conditions. Sometimes, early season while fishing lindy rigs or similar, I run the drag loose to buy some more time in order to set the hook.
On the fly rod, it's wide open. Nothing but palming for me!
-Erik

#5 ·
Hook your lure hook or what ever you have to something solid,
and pull. give your rod a good bend. adjust your drag so you can pull out line with your rod bend at its power point. :thumbsup:

If your fighten big fish. DONT CHANGE IT.
On my level winds I like it a bit softer than on a spin reel. for the simple reason that I can slow a big running fish down with my thumb if I feel I need to. (not recommended) but thats how I roll. There is nothing worse than breaking off that trophy you've been dreamin of.

wingnut

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.