Black Drum

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler

Black Drum

Postby commited » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:02 am

I live in the middle section of the chesapeake bay....catch lots of stripers, hardhead, perch, blues, some flonder. Mostly succsesfull with all, on a weekly day basis. The big deal going around now is the Black drum....These big old boys are being coaght regularly on a large rock reef...Drums from 50-70 lbs are being coaght with soft crab....

my qustion is whats the best way to locate these boys, or should it just be blind, and what the best method to catch them?...i havent ever went after drum but id love to pull a anything 70 pounds over the side of my boat, this late in the year. my other question is if they are any good to eat?..

Any help would be strongly appreciated

_COMMITED_
"a green head a day, keeps the gamewarden away"

Guns dont kill people, religions do...
commited
hunter

Postby Willie » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:36 pm

They catch them on the shoals drifting soft crabs, or fishing them off the bottom. They're not good to eat and all are being released...same thing with the large reds. You might get lucky and catch a cobia while you're at it...that'd be sweet! And you want to take him home with you...very tasty.
Willie
hunter

Postby SUTHERNDUCKHUNTER » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:57 pm

Shrimp on the bottom works well down here in florida..whether its on the flats or in the surf...
JIM
SUTHERNDUCKHUNTER
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:06 pm

I caught a hog of a black drum when we were in venice on an oyster reef. I was bottom fishing dead shrimp. We could see his back out of the water before he hammered down.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Wld Fowl » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:14 pm

Commited, They are good to eat very firm meat not very fishy. The fish eat clams and oysters allot. We catch them on clam and crab.

Black are best found in deep water or nice drop off holes. Reds are best found on sand bars and in shallow water at high tide looking for crabs and small bait fish.

I hope this helps,
Ryan
Wld Fowl
hunter

Postby backcast » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:59 am

Here in Tampa, the norm is to soak a half a blue crab on the bottom near bridges. They will use their incredible sense of smell and find the bait. 98% of the biggguns are released due to worms in the flesh, and being overall kind of tough. Smaller ones are ok, but there are too many other better eating fish around.
backcast
hunter

Postby forever draggin » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:47 pm

51 lbs is the biggest i have ever caught, but no they are not good to eat, if us cajuns dont eat it, u k now it aint worth eating....think about it :rofl:
<Severed Ties>
forever draggin
hunter

Postby blackduck119 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:05 pm

We catch drum all the time and they're really good to eat. I usually havde the best luck with black drum using sea clams. For red drum i like using a peeler/ clam rig.
blackduck119
hunter

Postby forever draggin » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:41 am

blackduck119 wrote:We catch drum all the time and they're really good to eat. I usually havde the best luck with black drum using sea clams. For red drum i like using a peeler/ clam rig.

let me explain a bit, you can eat a black drum, just not a really big one. the big ones are full of worms. but you can def eat black drum.
<Severed Ties>
forever draggin
hunter

Postby spoonerlab » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:44 am

you oughta sign up on the tidalfish forum, those guys know alot about everything on the bay and always seem to share alot of info, you just have to ask
spoonerlab
hunter

Postby 1*DUCK » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:02 pm

I fish the ICW down here in GA and always hit up the Drum, they are good eating contrary to what was previously stated in an earlier post. I normally deep fry them with house of autry fish fry or you can marinade as well.
1*DUCK
hunter

Return to Fishing