Need Some Help...

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler

Need Some Help...

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:16 pm

So I just picked up bowfishing a few days ago and was wondering what types of areas you guys usually see gar in. I've got a pretty mean area to shoot at carp, but would like to pick up an alligator gar. I can go on both the river or the lake and I've got a canoe. Just curious where you see them. When we jug fish we get them alot, but they are too deep to shoot or see. Just seeing if you guys see them anywhere. Thanks.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:07 pm

Dont think you guys have alligator gar in tennessee. Youll need to come to louisiana or texas. Texas would be your best bet. For all you bowfishing interests go to bow.fishingcountry.com. And for all your supplies please check out www.cajunarchery.com :thumbsup:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby duck huntin mamou » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:50 pm

I have a couple gar fish at least 5' long in a pond by my house. You can have 'em if you want 'em.
Chuck Norris bites the hand that feeds him,and eats their entrails.
duck huntin mamou
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:53 pm

We've got gator gar in Tennessee, just not too many. We do have quite a few big longnose gar. And duck huntin thanks for the invite, but that drive would break my wallet.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DuckSlyer16 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:59 pm

we usually see them by docks and coves, but there not big or alligatorish so probley a differant kind, how have you been doing with carp

got any pics?
DuckSlyer16
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:27 pm

Nope I've got nothing for you yet. I'm going out again tomorrow night and hope to have some pictures for y'all. I missed about 15 times sunday night since it was my first time, then finally stuck one but it got off because of the type of head I was using. I'll get some wednesday though.

Those gar you're seeing are either longnose or shortnose gar.

Here's a pic of a nice longnose and some good cats and a nice bass, I'm not in that one. I didn't get to go jugging that night :thumbsdown: Anywho, that's my quarry.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Rooterduck » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:23 pm

Howdy Y'all...
Best time and place to find Big Gator Gar is at night in the shallows. They will be up there foraging for Bream and other food sources. With Bream on the beds about now, This would be a good place to look for them. Don't know about the canoe, though. A big Gar will tote you all over the lake in one of those. We use big flat bottoms w/generators and lights. You can also use a spot light, but you need a partner to shoot, or hold the light. And remember, shoot low. The fish is not where it apears to be, due to light refraction.
Good luck, and Good Hunting....
Howdy fron Deep East Texas.
Rooterduck
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:46 pm

Thats a nice longnose in the pic. If you think you have them in the rivers, go out during the day.This time of the year gar roll during the day. They are coming up for oxygen. The hotter the better. You will find a spot where there are some rolling. Just anchor down be quiet and be ready. What tips are you using.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:57 pm

It's the Muzzy tips that you unscrew the actual tip a little bit and the prongs can reverse. The actual tip is the Muzzy trokar (sp?). I love them, they are sooooo much better than those crappers that came with the bowfishing reel combo.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:16 pm

Here's a link to the pics from last night:

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/viewtopic.php?t=63647

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Fishing