Fishing was so good they were jumping in the boat

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Fishing was so good they were jumping in the boat

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:19 pm

I've been out a few times for silver carp, but this past weekend was my first serious trip for the crazy flying fish.

If you don't know what I am talking about then search on youtube for bowfishing silver carp.

What an incredibly fun and crazy night fishing. We ended up with 32 silvers, mostly suicides. However, we managed to stick a good number of these crazy fish while they were sailing through the air.

This is combat fishing.

I actually caught one in my arms that hit me square in the chest.

One of them on a suicide mission, hit the guy driving the boat in the face giving him a nice rasberry under his eye, then went between the legs of the other guy slapping him where no man wants to be slapped, and then slammed in to my heels so hard it hurt.

They busted almost every light on my boat. We had to stop a couple times to make on the water repairs to the lights so we could keep fishing.

One crashed over the bow of the boat and manage to send my gaff flying into the river. It was hanging on the fish can in the middle of the boat and went sailing a good 10' over the side of the boat.

We spent most of the night laughing our asses off as we dodged fish, sometime successfully and sometime not, hearing and seeing them smash into the side and bottom of the boat, watch them land in the boat bouncing off of everything as the boat and all of us in it got covered in slime, scales, and blood, and especially on the occassions we picked one off as it sailed through the air.

If you have never seen these crazy fish in person it is definitely worth it. If you aren't afraid of beating up your boat and yourself, then I highly recommend that you do some combat with the crazy flying fish. They are likely to score more hits on you than you will on them, but damn it's fun.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:47 pm

The dreaded silvers. Im glad we dont have them here. Im heading up to indiana next month to get on some bigheads and hope to get in the silvers as well.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:23 am

Good luck.

They are a blast, but if we could wipe them out completely, I'd be 100% behind it. They are a nuisance beyond belief and they are just going to get worse. I've heard they are more than 50% of the biomass in most areas already and expected to get even worse.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:21 pm

Are you a member on bowfishingcountry if so whats your screenname. :huh:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby gadwall getter » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:25 pm

great pics! looks like you guys slayed em!!! :thumbsup:
DUCKS ARE GOOD EATS. EAT WHAT YOU KILL.
gadwall getter
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:17 pm

Not a member of bowfishing country.

We're just amateurs. We were actually fishing in a tournament. We only needed 250 more to win :eek: It was a pretty bad year because it usually takes over 500 to win this tournament.

I've gone a few other times where we chased them around a bit, but for my first serious outing for them, I was very happy, but 32 actually isn't a big number for the guys that are set up right and know what they are doing.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:25 pm

Where have the Silver Carp made it to? I'm sure they're gaining more and more territory each year. I hope they haven't made it to far up the Tennessee River. Have you noticed a change in your game fishing since these things took over?
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:08 am

I've only lived here 6 years, so I really can't say anything about how it was.

They sort of step up the river from lock to lock. It takes them awhile for enough of them to lock through with the barges to get a big population in the next pool upstream. They actually have an electric barrier on the canal that connects the Desplaines river (Illinois River) with Lake Michigan. The rivers without locks will stop the fish at the first impassible dam. This will keep a couple of our rivers clear of them, until some idiot catches minnows from downstream and dumps them upstream of the dam. We are seeing decent numbers of the bigheads and a few silvers at Channahon, IL. I believe they started in Arkansas, so that should give you an idea how far they have spread.

They tend to only jump in shallow water, so we try to find them in less than 10' and ideally trapped against a shoreline or something to really get them going. We were between a couple islands and shore off the main channel and it was around 10-12' in the center and less near shore and we just zig zagged back and forth all night and had fish going the whole evening.

The bigheads don't jump, but they hit the surface when they are ram feeding, if you have a big calm stretch of water, they are pretty easy to find in the evening.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:51 pm

I dont know if your running a genny and lights but to kill more big heads dont use the genny. Use a spotlight sparringly.

Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:32 am

I haven't tried to specifically target the bigheads yet. They are spooky. I don't have a genny yet. I actually like the DC lights and quiet when fishing for other things. Obviously, nothing quiet about fishing for silvers. The spotlight sounds like a good idea. I was also curious about a red filter on the lights.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Return to Fishing