to all y'all who flyfish

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

to all y'all who flyfish

Postby Montanafowler » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:12 pm

hey, just been building some rods lately so i figured y'all might like to see some pictures of my artwork.

This is a 4 weight going to california in a week.

what do you guys think?
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby jehler » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:20 pm

seems awlful short for a fly rod :huh:
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby Montanafowler » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:34 pm

yeah i'm still working on it, i finished the second section today, might finish the 3rd tonight, 4th tomorrow and then clearing it. next saturday it will be in Southern California. The guy bought this one for his wife since he enjoyed his. he took his to alaska for see run salmon and steelhead. he took a picture for me too.

not a bad humpy salmon.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby montana bound » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:37 pm

Nice work :thumbsup:
You get out of a dog , what you put into a dog!
montana bound
hunter

Postby carsonr2 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:05 pm

Great job Idaho, haven't gotten into the rod building myself, too many flies to tie. :smile: I'm heading to Alaska at the end of the month, fly fishing paradise (Kenai and Russian Rivers). What type of blanks are you using for your rods? Something I definitely need to get into.
carsonr2
hunter

Postby steelslinger » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:11 pm

Hey Idaho,
I have never actually seen someone make a flyrod, do you actually MAKE the flyrod, if so what is the basic process. Don't think that I would ever do it but it looks like it would be one heck of an endeavor to do.
If you hunt WITH your children today, you won't hunt FOR them tomorrow
Put "em in the woods and keep 'em off the streets
gangrig25 wrote:SO YOU WANT A PAT ON THE BACK OR WHAT :huh:
steelslinger
Capt. Obvious

Postby Montanafowler » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:11 pm

carson, so far i build mostly on forecast blanks, they are very cheap, but very high quality. they are medium fast action with some ranging into fast action. the green rod is a step up in blanks, a rainforest. the next step up is a rain shadow, which is a graphite color. i liked the blue of the forecasts so i have done several with garnet wraps with silver trim. i have also built on g loomis and i rebuilt an old pflueger for my dad. i helped clear a baitcaster for a guy on the bassmaster tour as well.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby Montanafowler » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:14 pm

steelslinger wrote:Hey Idaho,
I have never actually seen someone make a flyrod, do you actually MAKE the flyrod, if so what is the basic process. Don't think that I would ever do it but it looks like it would be one heck of an endeavor to do.

you mean wrapping the graphite sheets into a blanks? no, i don't do that, but all the components you see on a rod i put on by hand, no machines whatsoever. naw, it ain't too hard, i can completely build a rod in 2 1/2 days but i've been doing it for 3 or 4 years now. it takes a detailed eye and a steady hand though. the basic process is to take measurements for the cork and reel seat, then set the spacers for the inside of the reel seat. next you shape the cork and bore out the center to fit the rod (if you make a custom cork you glue cork rings together, let them set then shape the cork.) then you prepare your epoxy for the cork and the reel seat and sand the bottom of the blank. apply the epoxy to the sanded area and carefully slide the reel seat up from the bottom, adding epoxy as you bring it over the spacers. slide the cork from the top and butt against the reel seat. next you set the winding check against the top of the cork. after that's all dry, you measure for the guides. then set the guides with tape and wrap. wrap the ferruls as well. then you straighten the guides and clear them with epoxy. then you epoxy the tip after the guides are dried.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby wingnutty » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:48 pm

I used to build rods. Haven't built one in about 4 years now. I've had an 8wt St. Croix ultra-legend blank sitting in my closet for 4 years now. :huh: I gotta do something with that thing.
wingnutty
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:14 pm

the legend ultra is a good blank, very fast rod.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby wackemstackem » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:49 pm

Nice job,I used to build rods myself.
It's my Island.
wackemstackem
muppet paster

Return to Fishing