Finally caught my first Sturgeon!

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Finally caught my first Sturgeon!

Postby Broozer5 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:50 am

After trying for about 6 months, I finally caught my first Sturgeon. I broke down and did a guided trip on the Colombia River. We hooked 12 and caught 10. Biggest was 9ft at 425lbs.
Here is a picture of mine.
You're still a sh*t Sandwich...Just not a soggy one.
Broozer5
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:14 pm

Congrats. That's awesome :thumbsup: I've always wanted to catch one of those big girls.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Silverwidgeon » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:10 pm

I've just recently started going after these monsters and have yet to land one. I hooked up with one and the damn thing was playin me like I had never held a fishing pole in my life. I had him on for about 10 minutes, never even saw him, he just kept running, then all of a sudden the hook poped out. Sure was fun though, can't wait till I land one. Do you eat them?? What were you using as bait? I had mine on a sardine.
"At times like these it's best to remember that there have always been times like these."
Silverwidgeon
hunter

Postby Broozer5 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:49 pm

I was definately supprised at how well they fight. My pole got its first hit in about 5 minutes of being out. I set the hook and it took off. I faught it for about 5 minutes then it jumped all the way out of the water straight up about 4 ft in the air. The fish was about 7 1/2 ft long. I could not beleive the size of it, and epecially to be jumping that far out of water. After about 25min of fighting it, it broke off. I cant even describe the feeling I had. IT SUCKED! Then it was slow for a while, but we ended up doing good.

We used whole shad, shad strips, and squid. The biggest fish all hit the whole shad, and the smaller fish hit the squid.
We did not keep any because we didnt catch any keepers, but I really am not even that interested in keeping any anyway... If I want fish to eat I can just catch something else or buy something. I figure they are so old, and takes them so long to mature I dont need to keep any. That is just me however... I have no problem with people keeping legal sized fish. I would really like to try them though, I hear they taste great.
Ryan
Broozer5
hunter

Postby drake14 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:24 pm

THAT IS SO SWEET
drake14
hunter

Postby gadwall getter » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:03 pm

great pic man!! never tried sturgeon fishing altho i might try it soon.....
DUCKS ARE GOOD EATS. EAT WHAT YOU KILL.
gadwall getter
hunter

Postby huntnful » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:32 pm

thats cool. They columbia river is the place to catch them. we have fished it three times and the biggest one to date is 10' 6 and I caught it on our last trip. They fight harder than any other fish that I have caught (to date). I'm pretty sure it is illegal to handle them at all, like bring them to bank for a picture, but don't worry we did the same thing :thumbsup:. And for a picture like that, it would prolly be worth paying the fine. Cool pic. How was the shad fishing by the way.
NOR*CAL WATERFOWLER
huntnful
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:53 pm

What a fish. Would be too much fun to get ahold of one of those!
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Broozer5 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:30 pm

huntnful, how long did it take you to get that one in? I thought its legal to handle them a little, but you cant take them out of the water, and you have to make it quick.
Broozer5
hunter

Postby huntnful » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:41 pm

It took prolly 35-45 min, but I was ready to go take a nap afterwards. our last trip was four days long and we landed 18 sturgeon over 8 feet. there was six of us in two boats. It was fun as hell.
NOR*CAL WATERFOWLER
huntnful
hunter

Return to Fishing