Jon Boats

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Jon Boats

Postby Preacher1011 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:45 pm

Are jon's good for fishing out of? I've fished off of one with a trolling motor on the back and it seemed a little unstable when you stood up. Then again I see people standing and bowfishing out of them. So my question is, are they as stable as bass boats from side to side? Mine has a console so maybe it's more stable than that other one. It also has a platform on the bow and stern. I'll be reaching over the sides, so I'd like to know how stable they really are. Thanks again.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby blindretrieve » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:45 pm

depends on the width
My lab is smarter than your honor student
blindretrieve
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:54 pm

I believe it's 5 feet wide or so maybe just a bit more. It's also 15.5 feet long.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:16 pm

It really depends. There are so many varieties. Width is the key.

My boat is wider and I put plywood across the front seats and a trolling motor on the front and stand up and bowfish off of it. Although I did hit a log once while crusing along and ended up sprawled out on the deck hanging half way over the side with water coming over the side :oops: Everybody that bowfishes ends up in the water sooner or later and usually trying to find their bow burried in the muck.

My duck hunting buddy has a narrow one. My oar lock busted middle of the season and I borrowed his boat. That skinny jon boat scared the crap out of me. Every time I leaned over to grab a decoy, I thought I was going to flip the boat. Normally my dog rides in the back of the boat while I pickup decoys. I kicked her out of the boat after picking up about 2 decoys. I'm sure she would've lean to my side and we would both be swimming in the ice water. After I finished picking up the decoys, I made her swim back to the ramp every morning. Good exercise for her :smile:
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:19 pm

My dad and I fished out of a 12 jon boat for YEARS and never once had a problem. I've still got it stored away for when I get back home to fix up for hunting one day.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SUTHERNDUCKHUNTER » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:27 am

I have a 1648 polarkraft riveted with 1/2 inch marine treated plywood covered with brown outdoor carpet on the bottom of the boat over the ribs and it is fairly stable. Not as stable as a bass boat or other fishing boats but my buddie and I both over 250 and sometimes my g/f will fish out of it all day and not have a problem...ocassionally there will be a wake that knocks us around but that plywood and the width really helps stablize the boat.
JIM
SUTHERNDUCKHUNTER
hunter

Postby IlHunter » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:02 pm

it all depends on the boat. i have a 12 ft. v bottom extra wide extra deep and ive had three people fish standing up in it. ive also had four people in a 16ft flat bottom extra wide extra deep and we were fine.
IlHunter
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:08 pm

I bought the boat a few months back when it was still warm out and it's really good for fishing out of. I can walk down the sides and not tip it.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Fishing