Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Fly fishing

Postby ksduckslayer » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:09 pm

How many guys on here fly fish?
Cant wait for it to get cold.....
ksduckslayer
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:17 pm

been flyfishing for 11 years, tying flies for 8 years and building rods for 4.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby Dogman » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:15 am

I started flyfishing when I was ten,37 years later I still love it.
I love all kinds of fishing but when I want to really get back in sync I take a flyrod out.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby spoonerlab » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:58 pm

yep. ive been doing it since i was ten, which makes it 5 years and i ended up getting a 19.5 inch brown this spring Image
I'll keep my guns, my money, my freedom and my religion. You can keep "the change."
spoonerlab
hunter

Postby gadwall getter » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:16 pm

very nice fish!
DUCKS ARE GOOD EATS. EAT WHAT YOU KILL.
gadwall getter
hunter

NICE

Postby ksduckslayer » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:32 pm

Thats a nice fish!!....what size and brand of rod do you guys use?
ksduckslayer
hunter

Re: NICE

Postby Montanafowler » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:47 pm

ksduckslayer wrote:Thats a nice fish!!....what size and brand of rod do you guys use?

i currently use a 9 foot, 4 piece 6wt and a 8.5 foot, 3 piece 4wt.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby Kiskadinna » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:28 pm

Been flyfishing for 20 years now - tying for 12 of those. Even my honeymoon included fly rods and the puget sound!
Nothing beats a trout rising to a dry, except maybe an early spring 'gill sipping in a copper john... or possibly a LMB taking a meat whistle.

-Tight Lines,
Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby hamernhonkers » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:21 pm

Kiskadinna wrote:Been flyfishing for 20 years now - tying for 12 of those. Even my honeymoon included fly rods and the puget sound!
Nothing beats a trout rising to a dry, except maybe an early spring 'gill sipping in a copper john... or possibly a LMB taking a meat whistle.

-Tight Lines,
Erik

Not bad :thumbsup:

My wife had our wedding announcements taken in our pond up the mountain in waders holding fly rods and our honeymoon was a week trekking the state fishing :yes:

Been whipping the stick now for about 25 years and guiding for the last 10 or so.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby spoonerlab » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:21 pm

I use a 7.5 foot white river 5 weight, i love it on small streams. Its around $70 at bass pro and last weekend i caught another 20 trout in PA :biggrin:
I'll keep my guns, my money, my freedom and my religion. You can keep "the change."
spoonerlab
hunter

i am currently on a loomis

Postby ksduckslayer » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:34 pm

I am currently on a g loomis streamdance 8.5 ft 4 weight. Perfection in a fly rod. But at over 500 dollars......thats what gift cards are for :yes:

I also have a scierra ic3 3 weight, that i use on little trout streams in missouri, and up in the appalachian areas. That is a discontinued line of rods....bummer....i picked it up at cabelas, right after they stopped making them for 50 dollars....

Love em both
ksduckslayer
hunter

fishpimp

Postby flyphishr » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:06 pm

I've been fly fishing since 1985 and haven't touched another rod since. I fish mainly in Montana, live in Utah but for the past few years I've had my MT and AK license before UT. I am a Sage/ Winston man. I know they are overpriced but I won't ever skimp again. I do still use a St. Croix Legend Ultra, have a couple of em'. I took a 9' 6wt to AK last year for combat fishing Reds on the Kenai...big mistake, almost got more than my heart broke with such a light rod for Reds but it worked out ok. Reels? Ross all the way. Will pay off my new Simms G-3 waders with next paycheck.
flyphishr
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:40 am

Started with an old split bamboo that my father passed on to me when I was ten, I am now 64.

and yes I still tie flies, just gets a little harder with those little #22's
at my age.

Fish mostly the Sierras for goldens and brookies and hit
Pyramid in Nevada, for the big 30" plus Lahontan Cutthroats.

Last year had 42 hook ups in 4 hours at Pyramid during the spawn. Smallest was 18" and the largest was just under 29.

Best trip, East of Everett Washington, hiking into lakes that I
never knew of and seeing Billy goats !!
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby ksduckslayer » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:28 am

flyphishr...you have good tastes.....I like Galvan over Ross though.

Im probably going to get the new z-axis soon from sage. Anybody have any luck with it? I know it cant be bad coming from sage.
ksduckslayer
hunter

Postby flyphishr » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:14 am

ksduckslayer
I bought a Z-Axis this year, 8 1/2 ft 5 wt. I love it, much better than the old XP's, a lot lighter. Galvan is an awesome reel, I used the OB-5 for my carp rod but sold it to afford the Z-axis and paired it with a Ross Cimmaron, though I wish I got the large arbor version. My next rod will probably be another stiffer 7 wt for carp, though I don't know if I'll drop that kinda' dough on a Sage for carp.
flyphishr
hunter

right

Postby ksduckslayer » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:24 pm

i would have trouble dropping 7 c-notes for a carp rod as well...

I got to go fishing this weekend, caught 9 trout, 8 rainbows and a brown. They ranges from 10 inches to about 20. The brown went right at 14.

Im trying to post up pics of the brown, but i cant seem to figure it out :huh: :huh:

I have a photobucket account, but im not sure what link to copy and paste and where to put it??
Any suggestions??
ksduckslayer
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:15 pm

copy the image code (bottom one), and paste it directly into the response text box.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby ksduckslayer » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:30 pm

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo10 ... nTrout.jpg

still couldnt get it :huh: , but here is the link
ksduckslayer
hunter

Postby ksduckslayer » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:34 pm

....very slow on the fishing section....I guess the ER is busy tonight huh flyphisher??
ksduckslayer
hunter

fly fishing

Postby allgreenhead » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:17 pm

im 15 and have been fly fishing for 5 years, also tie my own flys.[quote][/quote]that is a good looking fish. not to brag but were i live on the upper deschutes in oregon we have those giant brown at least every other day. but the location helps
allgreenhead
hunter

I love fly fishing but its ice fishing season!!!

Postby Huntfishallday » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:15 pm

Any ice fishing goin on out their here in Utah almost all the lakes are frozen over. Found a couple anybody else had any luck? Last time fly fishing my line froze every five min. still caught a couple fish on small dark heavy nymphs.
Huntfishallday
Huntfishallday
Newb

Re: Fly fishing

Postby dudejcb » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:35 pm

I've got 2 or 3 Orvis rods, a coupel Thomas & Thomas, 2 G.Loomis, and an old bamboo that was my dad's and acoule of old glass Fenwicks (tht I use for training pointers with a string and wing). Everythign from 3-wt up to 7, but I like using the four wts most of the time with dries for floating rivers for trout.

also have spinning and bait casting rods for bass, steelhead, crappie.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby killmaster » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:38 pm

Been fly fishing since 06. Caught a Sockeye on the Russian witha 6 Wt. and its been a helpless addiction ever since.
NRA Life Member
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
DRAKE: End of story.
killmaster
hunter

Postby tgs » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:59 am

Been pond fishing for brookies for 33 years now. Started about 10 yrs ago on stripers in the ocean, what a blast, makes for some good blast and cast options in October after the morning flight lays down. I fish with the Double L series from L.L.Beans and also with Okuma's Guide Select series.
"Pass a Tradition Along"
tgs
hunter

Postby backcast » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:45 am

Yep. Hence my screen name. Saltwater backcountry snook /reds. Go to rod Sage XP 8wt 4pc.
backcast
hunter

Next

Return to Fishing