Fly fishing

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler

Re: Fly fishing

Postby Sir Big Spur » Sun May 24, 2009 9:38 pm

just started! my dad handed down his Orvis Clearwater II, with a Battenkill BBS III, and i was VERY thankful :thumbsup:
Mayonnaise colored Benz, I push Miracle Whips.
Sir Big Spur
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Sat May 30, 2009 9:37 pm

My first new rod was a clearwater - great rod for the money! just don'et let anyone talk you into tying as a way to save money now and you'll be fine!
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby dudejcb » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:31 pm

Kiskadinna wrote: just don'et let anyone talk you into tying as a way to save money now and you'll be fine!-Erik
he speaks the truth... unless, you're tying for yourself and 3 young boys like I did back when. the other thing is that, if you tie, and you're on unfamiliar water you can tie up some stuff that will work ... especially if you make a small mosquito netting seine and catch some of the local bugs first.

I made a seine using screen door mesh and electric conduit when my kids were little. I'd hold one end of it against the bottom of the stream and they'd roll over a few rocks just upstream. do the same during a hatch to see what the emergers look like. then tie some similar sized parachutes, soft hackles, and nymphs to use as droppers...

Several times, years ago when my sons were 12 or 13, and we were camping in the flat tops at the head of the White River, the boys would get antsy and go fishing while mom and I, uhhh, cleaned up camp. anyway after an hour or two we'd drive the mile or so toward the river and park on a turn out above the river to watch 'em and see how the fishing was going. They'd be catching 'em left and right while old guys were gettin's skunked and watching 'em catch fish from twenty or thrity yards away.

The older guys would work their way closer to the boys, and eventually the kids would show 'em what they were using, and then give them a fly I had tied...for them!

You won't save money tyin gflies, but you will catch fish. And make a couple memories.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby FranknBeans » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:45 pm

I just started this year. bought a White River 8.5 5wt and reel on sale as a package from Bass Pro and am having a blast with it. fished the walker river below the bridgeport res. dam last month and my first fish on the rod was a 19" german! I was just practicing casting trying to get the technique down a little better and he/she happened to snag my line heh. it's a lot of fun though, beats sitting on a boat/bank with a line in the water staring up at the sky all day.
Tree Huggers can kick rocks.
FranknBeans
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:25 am

FranknBeans wrote:I just started this year. bought a White River 8.5 5wt and reel on sale as a package from Bass Pro and am having a blast with it. fished the walker river below the bridgeport res. dam last month and my first fish on the rod was a 19" german! I was just practicing casting trying to get the technique down a little better and he/she happened to snag my line heh. it's a lot of fun though, beats sitting on a boat/bank with a line in the water staring up at the sky all day.

That was the first rod I ever bought for myself... quite some time ago now. I used it exclusively for about 3 years and then "upgraded" to a higher end Orvis. Kicked myself in the pants for a solid 2 weeks for selling it until I dumped the Orvis. That is a GREAT rod for the money. I use mainly all higher end rods now, but honestly, I can't say I can cast any of them any better than I could cast that White River. Did you buy the combo? The reel with it is a little suspect, but otherwise, its a great deal for the money. I would wait until you decide if fly fishing is for you and maybe replace the reel and a get a spare spool down the road.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby waterfowler20 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:15 pm

I love it, the best part for me is im only 30 minutes from the South Fork of the snake river; blue ribbon fly fishing :grooving: It's pretty much all i do over the summer, until hunting season starts up. :yes:
Take'Em
waterfowler20
hunter

Postby Booney3721 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:24 pm

how hard is it to fly fish if your starting out? im heading to Idaho for the month of June and were planning to hit them mountain streams..hope we dont bump into any black bears or brownies that is
"mmm nothing beat's a glass of hot Dickens Cider"
Booney3721
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:07 am

waffles, i'm from idaho, there's no grizzlies except in far eastern idaho. and blacks are sissies, i've walked up on em at ten feet and they ran, they were hiding in bushes so i didn't know they were there. flyfishing is hard until you figure out how to load the rod and keep your timing right.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby Montanafowler » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:09 am

also in june there's still gonna be some run off in the high country. where you planning on going?
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby fwlgrl24 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:21 pm

I just started about 2 years ago and Ive been tying flies for a little over a year. I am IN LOVE with it. Its substituted offshore fishin for me since I cant do that as much anymore, and Ive never been big on freshwater fishin till I found fly fishin. My brother on the other hand is a guide and ties flies for the GOP in our city and his other customers all over the east. Im very jealous... he gets to fish 3-4 times a week :mad:
You have been banned for the following reason:
nasty duck hunter

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
fwlgrl24
hunter

Postby flyphishr » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:21 pm

Waffle, I would suggest casting NOW. If you are new to the sport do not wait until right before your trip to learn...you need to be out in the lawn casting, take your top rod tip and add some yarn and get the feel and see what a loop looks like while sitting in a chair watching tv...don't wait or you may end up hating it and ruin yer trip. I would strongly suggest you not skimp on rods...I wouldn't spend less than 300 on a rod/reel outfit. I taught a buddy to fly fish a few years ago. He liked it and bought an inexpensive rod at Sportsmans warehouse...a month later he bought another, then another, then another. He is literally hooked. But he has 5 cheapo rods and now only uses his higher priced Sage. I hear people say, "what can a $680 Sage Z-axis or Winston BII-x do that a cheap "brand x" can't do?" PLENTY. There is a reason rods cost what they do and it is not just a status symbol for yuppies. Nowadays you can get buy with the $300 dollar outfit. Check out mrfc.com. AWESOME sales right now.
flyphishr
hunter

Postby flyphishr » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:33 pm

Waterfowler20...let's go do some steelhead in Salmon the end of March!!!
flyphishr
hunter

Postby loudnerd » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:40 pm

This will be my 4th year fly fishing. The 4th year I think is like being a teenager, you swear you know it all by now but each year you look back and realized how much more you learn. There is always an open door invitation to anyone looking to come fly fish Western Maine for Brookies, Landlocked Salmon and Browns.
He who laughs last didn't get it.
loudnerd
hunter

Postby Ajgall1055 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:36 pm

Been fly fishing for about 17 years and tying on and off most of that time. Right now I use a 5 wt 9' St. Croix.
Ajgall1055
hunter

Postby Decoy King » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:50 pm

I have been fly fishing since I was 8 and so that makes 7 years for me. I still really love it. I live in Idaho and have some small streams that I fish. I love it just catching brookies all day and some cuts and rainbows. I use an Orvis Clearwater 4wt 9footer and I love this rod with an Okuma reel.
Decoy King
hunter

Previous

Return to Fishing