Florida Keys Fishing

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Florida Keys Fishing

Postby tlegere104 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:16 pm

This will probably go unanswered but...

I am planning a trip to the middle keys in the end of april and will be taking my 16' boat. The extent of my saltwater fishing knowledge is that if I drag my 15 year old behind the boat with cut I may catch a Shark. This would solve two issues... but that is another story. Any help for light tackle fishing would be appreciated.
"No I don't have to arrest you, I choose to."
tlegere104
hunter

Postby backcast » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:15 pm

What kind of boat are you taking? Tackle, rods, reels, etc? Do you have any target species?
backcast
hunter

Postby tlegere104 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:12 pm

I have a 16' sea ray bowrider, we will anchor to fish, it is more of a ski/pleasure boat (have to make the other family happy). We are looking to stay in the middle keys near Marathon. We will be using "light tackle" (bass rods, some catfish rods) and I have no idea what to fish for.
"No I don't have to arrest you, I choose to."
tlegere104
hunter

Postby backcast » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:45 am

I'll get together some info for you. Let me talk to a couple of buds down there. With your boat, you'll be on small reefs, channels, etc.
backcast
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:48 am

No expert, but I used to go down to around Islamorada and fish from the bridges and shore with good success and about the same knowledge as you. I would see a lot of tarpon and barracuda. Never caught any tarpon or big barracuda. I would just use shrimp, or small fish I caught as bait and had good luck. I fished around the bridge piers or channels, generally in the eddy behind them as the tide sucked water between the keys.

I caught bonnethead shark to 3 feet, barracudas to around 2 feet, a couple moray eels, and all varieties of other small fish most of which I didn't know what they were.

I think you will have no trouble catching fish including some very nice ones by simply baitfishing in the obvious places.

Good luck.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby capt. ken » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:49 pm

If you are fishing out of Marathon, buy a chart of the area. Find your way to "Channel Key Banks" anckor up in one of the many cuts that run though them, on the upcurrent side. Put out some dead baits on the bottom on heavy tackle (30 lb conventional holding 300 yds) use sharp hooks and wire leader. you should tie into Sharks and Tarpon. Trust me on this, I guided in the upper keys for 10 years. Good luck.
shoot em, shoot em in the head
capt. ken
hunter

Re: Florida Keys Fishing

Postby RebelFan » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:50 pm

Ive fished in Islanmadora a bunch of times. Its to complicated to explain how to get way bach. what you need to do is Get a map, study it, go buy shrimp, and find your way. you may want to bring your compass. Whipray Basin, look for sea trout muds (the water will be grey) last few times Ive been havnt seen them bet maybe youll have better luck, If you wanna catch a tarpon go to the Channel 5 bridge with a live crab evening time or morning. Look for the blinking red marker light (its on the gulf side by the coffins) drift buy with the crab by it. Do not anchor. Use a bigger rod w/ a 5 ought owners hook. You can ask the guys at the bait shop to show you how to hook it. I use 20 lbs test line. Be ready it should only take 10-20 minutes. Last time I was there hooked a 180 pounder. But you can go to websites and see when, and what fish are running. Good luck
Lewis
RebelFan
hunter

Postby capt. ken » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:42 pm

RebelFan wrote:Ive fished in Islanmadora a bunch of times. Its to complicated to explain how to get way bach. what you need to do is Get a map, study it, go buy shrimp, and find your way. you may want to bring your compass. Whipray Basin, look for sea trout muds (the water will be grey)

NO Don't do that. Finding your way that far back is fairly complicated, and trying to do so on the recomendation who calls a chart a "map" is a sure fire way to get lost with a capital L. Again stay close, the tarpon thing @the bridges is a good call.
capt. ken
hunter

Postby RebelFan » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:36 pm

you obviously new what I meant by map so why does it matter. thats how I found my way out their, yeah sure I got lost but thats part of learning where to go. I found my way with a "chart" and by friends advice, but if he has a GPS how could you get lost? I mean follow the path you came out on. I am assuming he does have a GPS, Not tryin to argue or nuthin.
RebelFan
hunter

Postby capt. ken » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:55 pm

RebelFan wrote:you obviously new what I meant by map so why does it matter. thats how I found my way out their, yeah sure I got lost but thats part of learning where to go. I found my way with a "chart" and by friends advice, but if he has a GPS how could you get lost? I mean follow the path you came out on. I am assuming he does have a GPS, Not tryin to argue or nuthin.

True, and I apologize for a snarky tone. I just shudder to think of a complete newbie trying to get to Dump Keys the first time out :eek: particularly with a "map". I just had a vision of the guy out there with a road map and a hopeless look on his :rolleyes: face. I also tend to forget about GPS as I never used one down there. BTW on your next trip down check out Rankin lake (west of Dump Keys) for trout. It can be great :thumbsup:
capt. ken
hunter

Postby RebelFan » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:03 pm

I also appologize. yeah man took a couple trips to finally find the way out there, but now I can get back into the everglades. Im with you on the GPS idea, you dont go down to the keys to look at a damn screen. Its way to nice. As for the map, well you got me there I just wasnt really thinking :lol3: . As for Rankin Key Ive had my good bit of luck there. Got a question for you. Do you happen to remember Bonefish Bob? his shop was located next to the tradeing post. again I apologize :thumbsup:
RebelFan
hunter

Postby RebelFan » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:05 pm

I also didnt see what kinda boat he was takeing either
RebelFan
hunter

Postby capt. ken » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:44 pm

Yeah I remember Bob very well. He was a great guy and he had the coolest shop. It was a sad day in Islamorada when he passed away :crying:
capt. ken
hunter

Postby RebelFan » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:44 pm

yeah man, he was a great guy. Thats who helped us out w/ navigation
RebelFan
hunter

Postby OrangeLake » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:17 pm

Hey, check out a cut on the north end of Marathon called "Vaca Cut". US 1 goes right over it. On the Gulf side of the bridge there is a channel cut through the mangroves and rock going to a private marina that's owned by a resort hotel. There are ledges cut out in the coral from the creation of the channel the goes to the private marina. This spot hold a good number of fish, is right by shore, and should be fun for you and your family. Try to cast net live pin fish, whitebait, or other bait fish on a grass flat and keep them in a live well or well circulated bait bucket. Using canned cat food is a good way to attract bait fish and it's cheap. I like to use a light-medium spinning reel such as a Penn 4400 or 4500 with 8-12lb line. In the clear water fluorocarbon leaders are a big help for pickier things like Snapper. 25-30lb leaders should suffice. For hooks with live bait I use a size 2 short shank saltwater hook. This is a fine size and is especially good for not spooking fish with a big hook. Use 2-3ft of fluorocarbon and tie this to your hook. Then take a barrel swivel and tie to the other end of your fluoro. That's your leader. Slide a 1/4 ounce egg sinker onto your fishing line and tie your leader to your line. This will allow your bait to get down to the fish in the current and keep your sinker far enough away from the bait that it won't scare fish. Anchor your boat near the intersection of the private channel and Vaca Cut but not on the intersection. Hook your bait either through the lips, eyes, or the rear quarter and toss out where Vaca Cut and the private channel meet. Also try tossing the live bait right along the coral walls at the entrance to the channel. I've laid waste to a good number of fish in this spot, like tarpon, a variety of snapper, grouper, small amberjack, sharks, barracuda, etc. Live baiting is in my opinion most effective but jigs also work. For those use a similar leader minus the egg sinker and with a 1/4 ounce jig head and some type of soft bodied jig, like a berkely gulp. There are a lot of bait and tackle shops and a World Wide Sportsman on Islamorada where you can ask questions and get tackle. Don't be afraid to ask, the people are pretty helpful. If you have any other questions please ask, and if my instructions are not very clear I can attach pic's of my rigs. Also try the other side of the bridge in Vaca Cut (Atlantic Side) at night with heavier tackle and decent size(4-6inch) live bait on the bottom for bigger fish. Anchor in the channel, with lights on of course, about 100-150yds away from the bridge.

By the way, my wife and I are going there for our one year anniversary in May and you can bet we'll be hitting that spot. The key's are a great place, just watch out for Key West. Let me know how you do. Good luck.
OrangeLake
hunter

Return to Fishing