BASS

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

BASS

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:13 pm

I've been hearing they are really starting to turn it on. Who's been catching them?
I've been focused on crappie, but I'll give that up in a second for a good bass fishing adventure.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:27 am

Its still a bit cold up here. Usually in winter, when I lived in Longview, TX, not far from Shreveport, we would burn spinner baits, rattle traps, and crank baits trying to get reaction bites. We would do this all day and end up with at least a few fish to show for it.

I personally love it down there around the end of march. I dream of slow rolling spinner baits trying to trigger the pre-spawn bite.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:11 pm

oh yea, buddy of mine caught 30 a couple weeks ago on a brush hog. I have 2 weeks of vacation at the end of Feb. that should hit about right.
It's in the 50's on average down here right now.
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby NHDuckHunter » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:59 pm

I've been hammering them up here the past 2 weeks in NH, I can't imagine its too cold down there. Hell, its hotter there now then it is during our best times of year up here.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:49 pm

NHDuckHunter wrote:I've been hammering them up here the past 2 weeks in NH, I can't imagine its too cold down there. Hell, its hotter there now then it is during our best times of year up here.

They start spawning down here when water temp reaches around 60. I would imagine that they start in colder temps up there.
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby Silverwidgeon » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:51 pm

I've been meaning to go out. A buddy went out and got 5 fish for 6 minnows like a week ago so I figure I ought to give it a go, not too much going on for artificials except for a few taken on jigs here and there.<---Nor Cal report.
"At times like these it's best to remember that there have always been times like these."
Silverwidgeon
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:27 pm

I was out bowfishing this weekend. Water temp was about 55 to 56 degrees. Saw lots of bucks up in the shallows, but a couple 3 lb fish.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Return to Fishing