flurocarbon

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Postby backcast » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:01 pm

DPduckhunter13 wrote: i just use it for the diameter thats closer to the 25 lb flouro (otherwise my knot breaks all the time) and for the lack of stretch.

What knot are you using?
backcast
hunter

Postby DPduckhunter13 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:19 am

i usually tie a double uni knot or a blood knot. but going with a smaller diameter braid, example 30 lb which is 8 lb diameter, will cut rite through the 25 lb mono/flouro when you sinch down the knot because it is much smaller. when you tie two almost identical diameters you have much less chance of slipage or knot failure. best line to line connection is a bimminey twist, but the first step is 52 twists...not a knot you want to tie repeatedly on the water :biggrin:
Az 2009-2010 Total
Mallards: 15
GWT: 6
BWT: 1
Wigeon: 9
Shovelers: 4
Bufflehead:2
Ringneck: 6
Pintail: 2
Golden Eye: 1
Mergansers: 2
Gadwall: 0
Scaup: 0
Redhead: 0
Canvasback: 0

Canadas: 0
Specks:0
Snows: 1
Ross: 1

Bands: 0
DPduckhunter13
hunter

Postby backcast » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:52 am

DPduckhunter13 wrote:i usually tie a double uni knot or a blood knot. but going with a smaller diameter braid, example 30 lb which is 8 lb diameter, will cut rite through the 25 lb mono/flouro when you sinch down the knot because it is much smaller. when you tie two almost identical diameters you have much less chance of slipage or knot failure. best line to line connection is a bimminey twist, but the first step is 52 twists...not a knot you want to tie repeatedly on the water :biggrin:

I have never had a problem using a uni to uni (double uni). And I'm using 10lb (2lb dia) PP to 20-10lb flouro. You might be using very soft flourocarbon. I use Segaur. How many times are you wrapping your tag ends through the loops? And are you making sure you're moistening the knot?
I'm sure starting with a bimini twist would help, but I've seen no need to use a bimini with light braid.
backcast
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:04 am

Try using the slim beauty knot. Field and Stream tested it at 94%. It's really not that hard to tie either.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DPduckhunter13 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:10 pm

i usually put the tag ends through the loop twice and it works for me on mono to mono. i do moisten the knot of course, and im using sunline (which is slightly soft) for its suppleness. ive used the seagar and liked it but im more partial to the sunline cuz i hate a stiff line. my boss taught me the bimini and i use it on my swimbait rod so i can throw those 6-8 oz beasts halfway accross the lake and still have ten foot of flouro for the clear water (i learn a ton of cool crap like that working at sportsmans warehouse)

just a quick ? anybody used the blackwater flouro for leaders? never tried it.
Az 2009-2010 Total
Mallards: 15
GWT: 6
BWT: 1
Wigeon: 9
Shovelers: 4
Bufflehead:2
Ringneck: 6
Pintail: 2
Golden Eye: 1
Mergansers: 2
Gadwall: 0