Best bait to catch a bass on a bed?

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler

Best bait to catch a bass on a bed?

Postby Mr. Spoonbill » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:07 pm

What do yall find is the best lure to catch a largemouth on a bed in clear water?
Mr. Spoonbill
Newb

Postby OkieHunter » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:07 pm

I really like using a lizard, pitch it into a bed a big girl just can't stand it.
Never Correct Your Dog When Angry, That is Abuse And They will Never Forget It
OkieHunter
hunter

Postby Mr. Spoonbill » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:18 pm

with or without a weight
Mr. Spoonbill
Newb

Postby Smackaduck » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:40 am

Ditto, lizard with a weight. :thumbsup:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby bayouboy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:49 pm

you know you aint gonna find any beds spoonbill in that stocked pit.
bayouboy
hunter

Postby Stool Hunter » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:18 pm

Heres a little thing u should try.Last year during the spawn i spotted a female on her nest i flipped it near her and she spooked in a minute or so she returned from the depths i slowy moved the tube(black/red flaked) i was using texas rigged over her nest.She didnt know the bait was even sittin in her nest till it was off her nest,by then it was to late. This happened several more times then i made an adjustment :thumbsup: I added a rattle off of a regular bass jig and placed it inside the tube . Next cast i pitched well beyond her and reeled it to her nest sat it down then twitched it she did a 180 slowly towards the tube one more twitch and she inhaled it.This rattle technique worked the rest of the spawn last year for me,i believe the little added noise pisses the bass of or really gets them defensive and they inhale it to get it off the nest.I cant wait till it warms up here.Good luck.
The ducks u take while hunting will only last a while,the memories u make while hunting will last a lifetime and possibly more. Hunt for the memories!
Stool Hunter
hunter

Postby DPduckhunter13 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:34 pm

white lizard w/chartruese tail, and or roboworm Sourpuss in bedbait color. i have caught some real big fish on both those baits. rig em with a 3/16 oz tungsten bullet weight (chartruese color). iv also added a bead between the weight and lizard for a little bit of noise.
Az 2009-2010 Total
Mallards: 15
GWT: 6
BWT: 1
Wigeon: 9
Shovelers: 4
Bufflehead:2
Ringneck: 6
Pintail: 2
Golden Eye: 1
Mergansers: 2
Gadwall: 0
Scaup: 0
Redhead: 0
Canvasback: 0

Canadas: 0
Specks:0
Snows: 1
Ross: 1

Bands: 0
DPduckhunter13
hunter

Re: Best bait to catch a bass on a bed?

Postby WSUWESTON » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:46 pm

Texas rigged worm
WSUWESTON
Forum Moderator

Postby berettaguy17 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:17 pm

try a white spinnerbait with a large blade on it. trust me try it
Why not shoot all 3 shots, they make more shells everyday.
berettaguy17
hunter

Postby REDGUN » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:00 pm

A Texas rigged lizard with as light a weight as you can pitch/cast. The add on rattle sounds like a good idea also.
REDGUN
hunter

Postby Silverwidgeon » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:53 pm

I agree with the white lizard. but for a little more action you gotta use this trick. take a 22 casing and stick it into the head of the lizard then remove. by doing so it takes out some of the plastic, and makes a nice little hole for you to stick a small split-shot into. this makes the lizard face down in the water, so when you add a little motion it looks like a salamander ravaging the bed so the fish goes nuts.
"At times like these it's best to remember that there have always been times like these."
Silverwidgeon
hunter

Postby mattm25tx » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:52 pm

Brush hog Baby or regular size the area lakes around here watermelon/red or watermelon/candy
Matts Mobile Marine Service

If your not living life on the edge you are taking up too much room
mattm25tx
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:15 am

After a picture, you do release them, right?
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby bassmaster624 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:42 am

i like throwing tube baits this time of year.thats just me there are alot of others that work.black neon works black&bue are acouple of my favorite colors.
women love me and bass fear me
bassmaster624
hunter

Postby 82989 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:21 pm

I would go with a lizzard. But you really got to set the hook. There not biting it to eat it there trying to move it of there bed. Therefore you got to wait a minute and then snatch the hell out of it. Hope this helps its worked for me.
hunter

Postby MossyGO! » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:38 pm

I agree with the above mentioned, soft plastics but the two biggest bass I've ever caught were off of scum frogs. Both were taken off of their beds.
idahofowler wrote: i can shoulder a gun faster than anyone i know. i try to let the people i'm hunting with have the first shot because i can clean house even if i fire last. with instinct shots, no one beats me.
MossyGO!
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Jarbo03 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:05 pm

Crawfish or lizard, all of the above will work. Also try a shad or something like it on a stand up jig head slowly retrieved across the bed.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby eric001 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:16 pm

Mr. Spoonbill wrote:What do yall find is the best lure to catch a largemouth on a bed in clear water?

use a 4" finness worm fished weedless, fished very very slow thru the bed with frequent pauses,
color i use black shad,,, remember they are guarding the nest and wants to get rid of intruder also nice meal
good luck
eric001
Newb

Postby SUTHERNDUCKHUNTER » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:40 am

I had a problem not being able to hook up to spawning bass last spring. I ended up getting a dozen bullheads, and putting them on a weedless baitfish hook with a splitshot right at the eye of the hook to keep the bait on the bed. Worked like magic! :bow:
JIM
SUTHERNDUCKHUNTER
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:50 pm

Fishing bass on their beds is like cheating. Only little kids have an excuse to do it. you catch the males (who actually are on the nest) and then the females don't come to that nest, and if they've already been there, the fry have no protection.

Learn to fish away from the nest...just past the color line, where the females are waiting for their hormones to send them in to spawn...and leave the nests alone!
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby DPduckhunter13 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:02 pm

dudejcb wrote:Fishing bass on their beds is like cheating. Only little kids have an excuse to do it. you catch the males (who actually are on the nest) and then the females don't come to that nest, and if they've already been there, the fry have no protection.

Learn to fish away from the nest...just past the color line, where the females are waiting for their hormones to send them in to spawn...and leave the nests alone!

tell that to all the pros or tournament fisherman who win thousands of dollars every year doin it. i agree that you can catch the biggins fishing in 20 foot of water but if im in a tournament and see a 10 lber on a bed i sure as hell aint gona pass it up.
Az 2009-2010 Total
Mallards: 15
GWT: 6
BWT: 1
Wigeon: 9
Shovelers: 4
Bufflehead:2
Ringneck: 6
Pintail: 2
Golden Eye: 1
Mergansers: 2
Gadwall: 0
Scaup: 0
Redhead: 0
Canvasback: 0

Canadas: 0
Specks:0
Snows: 1
Ross: 1

Bands: 0
DPduckhunter13
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:48 am

Yeah. I'm not a big fan of fishing tournaments either. Seems like a great way to ruin a good time fishing. I go fishing to get away from work and pressure, so turning a pleasant distraction into work and pressure seems silly to me. But a lot of guys like to play golf and get all worked up. I'de like to see guys that tournament fish take up golf and get off the water.

I don't watch guys fishing or weighing their fish on TV either... and I won't spend $50,000 for a damn fishing boat that goes 80 mph. I like a safe boat with adequate room and horsepower, but beyond that would rather spend the money on rods, beer and gas to go fishing.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby flatbottom mudslinger » Wed May 13, 2009 3:58 pm

10:4 on the spending money on rods, beer, and gas, but I fish out of a canoe so I have more money for beer. Im not totally against fishing tournaments, Im actually kind of jelous of a guy who can make half a million a year doing what he loves to do but they need to call it quits when duck season opens. Last year a friend and I were sitting in the dark drinking coffee after we had our spread out waiting for it to get light, and just as it was starting to get prime for ducks to start flying around a fricken bass tournament let loose and about 50 boats went screaming by our setup at 60+ mph. One idiot was fishing not more than 70 yards in front of us damn near casting into our decoys. It kinda pissed me off but the visual I had of some 3 1/2" magnum steel ripping through his sparkly red fiberglass boat just made me smile. I mean come on, cant they atleast put a sign at the boat launch the night before "Bass Tournament this weekend" so duck hunters have a little heads up.
treat every situation like a dog. If you cant eat it or hump it just piss on it and walk away
flatbottom mudslinger
hunter

Postby allnighter » Sun May 17, 2009 4:08 pm

The ol bubble gum or watermelon lizard. :thumbsup:
allnighter
hunter

Postby don taylor » Sun May 17, 2009 9:35 pm

I use a large sucker or shiner and rig it with a hook in the tail. A spawning bass won't always strike for food but if you put a large fish near its nest it always seems to run it off and strike at the tail.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Next

Return to Fishing