Fishing Ethics

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

If someone takes you to a fishing spot. Is it disrespectful to go back without asking them 1st?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:42 pm

No
9%
Yes
91%

Total votes : 11

Fishing Ethics

Postby Walleye420 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:42 pm

If you show a friend a nice fishing spot is it ok to steal it and take a bunch of other people there? Or would it be correct to ask permission to go back there without you?

So I took a friend fishing with me and my dad. We ending up limiting out on walleyes and my dad marks the spot so we could find it again later. So the next day my friend says I hope that marker is still there because I am going to go with my friend, his dad, and his uncle. Never asked me to go with.... Never asked if he could use our spot that we marked. He acted like I was overreacting when I told him that was a shady move. What do you guys think?
Walleye420
Newb

Re: Fishing Ethics

Postby berettaguy17 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:50 pm

yes if its private property or if its no spot you would ever even think, or if its hard to get to. no if its on like a heavily fished place thats public, like on a river.
Why not shoot all 3 shots, they make more shells everyday.
berettaguy17
hunter

Postby Walleye420 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:56 pm

berettaguy17 wrote:yes if its private property or if its no spot you would ever even think, or if its hard to get to. no if its on like a heavily fished place thats public, like on a river.

It's a heavy fished lake but everyone fishes the wrong spots. My dad found a spot 200 yards away from anyone and we slammed them, he had his limit in 20 mins! So with that said, yes or no? :thumbsup:
Walleye420
Newb

Postby Silverwidgeon » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:03 pm

First thing I remember my dad telling me about fishing was never to tell someone your spot, second thing was never to tell them how you caught them. therefore today if I take someone to one of my spots, I tell them the first piece of fishing knowledge that I was ever told, therefore they get the idea of the sacred spot theory.
"At times like these it's best to remember that there have always been times like these."
Silverwidgeon
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:07 pm

If its public water, then fair game, although it would have been nice for him to ask you if you wanted to go back with him.

If its private land/water, then I would have some issues with it. I've had people come out to our land before to fish that didn't call ahead and ask. If it was just the one guy that had been out there before, then I wouldn't have any problems, but he decided to bring a bunch of his buddies I've never met. Not cool.
Last edited by GroundSwatter on Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Walleye420 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:11 pm

GroundSwatter wrote:If its public water, then fair game, although it would have been nice for him to ask you if you wanted to go back with him.

If its private land/water, then I would have some issues with it. I've had people come out to our land before to fish that didn't call ahead and ask. If it was just the one guy that had bee out there before, then I wouldn't have any problems, but he decided to bring a bunch of his buddies I've never met. Not cool.

AGREED, he can go all he wants but it would of been nice/respectful of him to ask 1st.
Walleye420
Newb

Postby capt. ken » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:10 pm

If your father "marked the spot" with a visible semi-permenant mark then the spot is probably fair game as every guy that goes by it will see it and try the area out for at least a bit. Moral of the story is, mark your spots on a GPS, not with flagging tape.
shoot em, shoot em in the head
capt. ken
hunter

Postby Walleye420 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:48 pm

capt. ken wrote:If your father "marked the spot" with a visible semi-permenant mark then the spot is probably fair game as every guy that goes by it will see it and try the area out for at least a bit. Moral of the story is, mark your spots on a GPS, not with flagging tape.

Moral of the story is your an idiot haha. I never said he used flagging tape. He used snow to make a tiny mountain that nobody would think twice of.
Walleye420
Newb

Postby Quack Shack » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:08 pm

Marker bouy = boat attractant :sad: :fingerhead:
TEAM SPOONIE
Quack Shack
hunter

Postby berettaguy17 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:21 pm

i would still think that if the guy is a good enough guy than the answer should have asked then. but the fact that it is heavily fished and that it is public then there is not much you can do. i fish certain areas where i will catch them on certain things and i will fish by myself and never tell anything exactly what i use.
Why not shoot all 3 shots, they make more shells everyday.
berettaguy17
hunter

Postby floating redneck » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:26 pm

i fished draw tournaments for years(two anglers are paired by a drawing) and the golden rule was not to tell about your partners spot or fish it ,mostly worked but if you were on some real good fish you might save the spot because not everyone can be trusted
"remember im pulling for you, we're all in this together" Red Green
floating redneck
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:40 pm

ask him. he was a good guy for taking you, you'll feel like a jerk when he pulls up and your on his hole.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Return to Fishing