polarized lenses

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

polarized lenses

Postby IlHunter » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:04 pm

is there a difference in a pair from walmart compared to an expensive pair. whats your favorite brand?
IlHunter
hunter

Re: polarized lenses

Postby capt. ken » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:04 pm

IlHunter wrote:is there a difference in a pair from walmart compared to an expensive pair. whats your favorite brand?

IF the Wal-Mart brand are really polarized(and that can be a big if), then they will do a adaquit job for you. If you can find Flying Fisherman brand then those are good, and reasonably priced at about $20. The expensive brands will last long and are better because they have optical glass rather than plastic, and you spent so much you keep track of them for longer(i.e. put a lanyard around them).
shoot em, shoot em in the head
capt. ken
hunter

Postby backcast » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:51 am

The way I see it, we've only got one set of eyes and to get the best lenses you can afford. I spend hundreds of days a year on the water in the Florida sun and have found my favorite. The Costa Del Mar's in a 580 copper lens. The copper lens is your base amber color. You can get them mirrored on top of that in green, blue, silver. But these will set you back about $250
backcast
hunter

Postby clemaire2 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:51 pm

backcast wrote:The way I see it, we've only got one set of eyes and to get the best lenses you can afford. I spend hundreds of days a year on the water in the Florida sun and have found my favorite. The Costa Del Mar's in a 580 copper lens. The copper lens is your base amber color. You can get them mirrored on top of that in green, blue, silver. But these will set you back about $250

i 2nd that Del Mars are worth the money
clemaire2
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:13 am

I bounced between companies a lot for awhile. I say the expensive ones are definately worth it. You can get last years "styles" on close out a lot and save yourself some money. Lately, I have been buying Natives. Good glasses, great warranty and you can find them marked down sometimes. The only brand I will NOT wear again is Oakleys, I don't care what anyone says, they have the worst cheapest lenses, a terrible warranty and customer service, and you are paying for the name more than anything.
A good place to look is campmor.com or sierratradingpost.com REIoutlet.com sometimes has some great deals too.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby Stool Hunter » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:33 pm

I have used several brands that are all good i came to find brand didnt matter butt the color of the lens is key.I use to use the smoke color lens untill fishing with my bro last summer for summer steel head he said he could see a nice fish behind a boulder that was directley in front of me i just couldnt see it. I walked over to him and asked to try out his glasses for a sec, boom there it was.He was using the clear yellow amber lens and man it made the fish stand out like a blue beacon while the surrounded structure was yellow .The lens and color are whats important and matching it with the water conditions and color in your area.
The ducks u take while hunting will only last a while,the memories u make while hunting will last a lifetime and possibly more. Hunt for the memories!
Stool Hunter
hunter

Postby allnighter » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:09 pm

When im not hunting im fishing the flat and I have used them all and the best is maui jim's
allnighter
hunter

Postby Sir Big Spur » Sun May 24, 2009 9:42 pm

ive had 3 pairs of Costa's and i love them, a little pricey but amazing for fishing and just everyday use. definitely worth throwin in some cash on!
Mayonnaise colored Benz, I push Miracle Whips.
Sir Big Spur
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon May 25, 2009 6:40 am

I'm on the Costa band wagon. Best pair of fishing glasses I have ever had.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby macdaddykeefer » Tue May 26, 2009 9:13 pm

i wouldnt reccomend costas to anybody...the tint on mine started coming off around the edges n know several other ppl's thats did the same...they work n fit really well but their too expensive for me to buy n have that kinda problem with...
John 3:16

Never let work get in the way of a possible duck whackin'
macdaddykeefer
hunter

Postby WSUWESTON » Wed May 27, 2009 12:47 am

Invest in a good pair and you will not regret it
WSUWESTON
Forum Moderator

Postby waldo2382 » Thu May 28, 2009 7:41 pm

Good polarized glasses are worth it. I worked charter boats not fishing far off the equator and still have good eyesight. My eyes can be relaxed instead of squinting. I wear them everywhere even driving. For fishing, I can see schools of fish that no one else can and can get on them before anyone else. Personnally I like Hobie (about $125) and there are dozens of other brands. Just try on a bunch at the a good sunglasses store and get the ones that fits and you think looks the best on you.
Alaskans for Global Warming

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
waldo2382
hunter

Postby windyjack » Thu May 28, 2009 7:52 pm

i fried my eyes when I was younger by not wearing sunglasses. I have been taking out charters in Montauk NY for mor than 40 years. For the last 30 at least the Windy doesn't laeve the dock unless I have my sunglasses with me. Perscription, Poloriod Glass is the only way to go for me.
windyjack
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:37 pm

good glasses are qorth it, but there's a point where you get a good pair without breaking the bank. I've lost a few Moaui Jim's and others... now I use "PolarEyes." They run about $50, are good quality, and come with a good case and lens cloth. they make a good compromise between cost and quality. http://www.polareyes.com/

BTW: I wear 'em duck and bird hunting if the sun is out.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby 1ynggun » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:40 pm

i have 2 pair of costa del mar's and will never buy any other brand. you will not regret there quality, i can promise you that.
1ynggun
Forum & State Moderator

Postby carsonr2 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:11 pm

Stool Hunter wrote:I have used several brands that are all good i came to find brand didnt matter butt the color of the lens is key.I use to use the smoke color lens untill fishing with my bro last summer for summer steel head he said he could see a nice fish behind a boulder that was directley in front of me i just couldnt see it. I walked over to him and asked to try out his glasses for a sec, boom there it was.He was using the clear yellow amber lens and man it made the fish stand out like a blue beacon while the surrounded structure was yellow .The lens and color are whats important and matching it with the water conditions and color in your area.

I completely agree. I am looking at getting the smiths with the interchangeable lenses for my next pair. Right now I carry two pairs of glasses when fly-fishing. A pair with Rose colored lenses for when the sun is high and extremely bright, and a pair with yellow colored lens for when the sun drops behind a mountain or it is cloudy out. I've gotten past the age where I seem to lose or damage my glasses on a regular basis so I'm ready to dish out the money for these new ones. Might mean I'm really starting to grow up, but I doubt it. :smile:
Vegetarian = Old Indian Saying "Not Good Hunter"
carsonr2
hunter

Postby wackemstackem » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:02 am

backcast wrote:The way I see it, we've only got one set of eyes and to get the best lenses you can afford. I spend hundreds of days a year on the water in the Florida sun and have found my favorite. The Costa Del Mar's in a 580 copper lens. The copper lens is your base amber color. You can get them mirrored on top of that in green, blue, silver. But these will set you back about $250

Some solid info rite their...I did not think the lens color made much of a difference but it does.I have the blue offshore that were great up here on the island but I was flats fishing the keys a couple weeks ago and tried my guides green lens and they were much better than the blue for flats fishing.So choose the proper lens for your type of fishing...
It's my Island.
wackemstackem
muppet paster

Postby windyjack » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:06 pm

Abut a week ago I lost my glasses so I called the Optomitrist to have them replaced . I had to buy a pair of clip ons so I could fish several charters. WELL I found them yesterday when I ran the lawn mower over them. Not a good move on my part. I'm thinking that Gus must have picked them up in the house and brought them out there
windyjack
hunter

Postby duck huntin mamou » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:05 pm

macdaddykeefer wrote:i wouldnt reccomend costas to anybody...the tint on mine started coming off around the edges n know several other ppl's thats did the same...they work n fit really well but their too expensive for me to buy n have that kinda problem with...

Costashave a full warranty on them. All you have to do is send them back and pay the $10 for shipping and they will either fix yours or send a brnad new pair.
Chuck Norris bites the hand that feeds him,and eats their entrails.
duck huntin mamou
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:54 pm

I'm on Lake Michigan from dark to dark all summer and I wear Oakley's polarized (200$). After reading all of this about the Costas I might have to try them this summer. The Oakleys are great glasses but Ive looked through much, much better. Get a stinkin lanyard though!!! Downrigger cables love to rip glasses off your face, I would have an ulcer if I had to watch those glasses sink through the prop wash! :fingerhead:
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby #1wingnut » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:58 am

Buy the best you can afford. With glasses you pay for the lens. I've also spend a lot of time on the water so good Pol lens are a must for me. I like Ray bans. 175.00
#1wingnut
Super Moderator

Return to Fishing