Boat Insurance

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Boat Insurance

Postby TNmatt83 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:04 pm

I did something INCREDIBLY stupid Saturday. I fished a tournament with a buddy and we were using his boat. He had to leave a little early so I finished up the last couple hours and I was going to drop the boat off at his house. After the weigh in I was cruising back over to the ramp where I put in and I tagged a rock that I couldn’t see under the water. It took out the lower unit and took a big chunk out of the bottom of the boat. I felt like s#!t. It never took on any water and I used the trolling motor to get it back to the ramp ( I was 300 yards from the ramp!). The boat is like a 2000 (not sure of the year) stratos with a 150 johnson and I told my buddy and his dad that I would pay for all repairs. They think that insurance will cover it but will insurance still cover something like this since I was driving and not the owner? It was definitely one of the more embarrassing moments of my life, several of my friends were there at the ramp and saw it, I felt so dumb! :oops:
Any day that starts with a cold boat ride is a good one
User avatar
TNmatt83
hunter
 
Posts: 542
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:42 pm
Location: TN


Re: Boat Insurance

Postby TNmatt83 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:14 pm

After i posted this up my buddy called and said he talked to the insurance company and it looks like they'll still cover it. I feel a little relieved now but I will probably never be allowed to drive anybody else's boat from now on, not that i want to
Any day that starts with a cold boat ride is a good one
User avatar
TNmatt83
hunter
 
Posts: 542
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:42 pm
Location: TN

Re: Boat Insurance

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:45 pm

What are their premiums going to do though? You might want to offer to pay the increase in premiums if they go up. Stuff happens on boats. I found a sandbar the other day about 50 yards from the ramp and buggered up my prop. That's what sucks about using boats when the water's down.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.


jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?


Image
User avatar
Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 8459
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:14 pm
Location: Knoxville, TN

Re: Boat Insurance

Postby Kiskadinna » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:58 pm

That sucks man - No fun to be in when its your own boat, certainly no fun when its someone elses. One point about insurance for others for future reference. The policy is for the vehicle, not the driver. There are probably notable exceptions to this, but since Im not in insurance, I won't even try. I agree though - as a gesture of good will, you may offer to pay part or all of any premium increases for a period of time.
-Erik
User avatar
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 1819
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:04 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Boat Insurance

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:57 pm

You werent on guntersville by chance were you. Weve ate a rock over there before with similar results. :lol3: Ill take sand and stumps any day, yall can have the rocks.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
User avatar
Smackaduck
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 6201
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:04 pm
Location: Shreveport, Louisiana

Re: Boat Insurance

Postby TNmatt83 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:02 pm

Smackaduck wrote:You werent on guntersville by chance were you. Weve ate a rock over there before with similar results. :lol3: Ill take sand and stumps any day, yall can have the rocks.


No it was on Percy Priest lake just outside of Nashville. Guntersville is one of my favorite lakes to fish though, i'm fishing a tournament down there in April.

Kiskadinna wrote:That sucks man - No fun to be in when its your own boat, certainly no fun when its someone elses. One point about insurance for others for future reference. The policy is for the vehicle, not the driver. There are probably notable exceptions to this, but since Im not in insurance, I won't even try. I agree though - as a gesture of good will, you may offer to pay part or all of any premium increases for a period of time.
-Erik


I had dinner with my buddy tonight and he said the boat shop told him today that they were pretty sure it was totaled. which is probably the best scenario really because he will get a new boat instead of a fixed boat. I told him that i would pay the deductible and any other expenses that come up. My buddy and his dad (they share the boat) had every right to be mad and i would not have blamed them if they were completely pissed but they were really understanding, i got pretty lucky.
Any day that starts with a cold boat ride is a good one
User avatar
TNmatt83
hunter
 
Posts: 542
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:42 pm
Location: TN

Re: Boat Insurance

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:08 am

Sounds like you came out alright then. If I were them I would probably have been mad until I found out I got a brand new boat. Hey I'm fishing up here and would really like a new jon boat, wanna take my out for a ride? :lol3: :lol:
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.


jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?


Image
User avatar
Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 8459
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:14 pm
Location: Knoxville, TN


Return to Fishing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest