live bait fishing for northern pike

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

live bait fishing for northern pike

Postby longlakesd » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:08 pm

Hey guys here come i think it is 1st sat. of may northern pike season opens and i want to get geared up so i am wondering whats the best pound line also either mono or braided w/e. Also what kind of hooks ? Thanks i will be using typical shiners for bait fishing a swampy area no deeper than 12 feet.
Impeach Cuomo .... sign this petition

http://impeachandrewcuomo.com/?
longlakesd
hunter

Re: live bait fishing for northern pike

Postby floating redneck » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:13 pm

i use a 12lbs main line and an 8 in steel leader below a float or freeline the same setup in deeper water,without the float single 3/0 hook in the back of the shiner,but in the spring a spinnerbait or topwater will catch more fish
"remember im pulling for you, we're all in this together" Red Green
floating redneck
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:02 pm

Use a stell leader and whatever test line you want. We used to fish for Northerns with 8- to 10-inch suckers hooked behind the dorsal fin, beneath a big bobber.

This was in the summer time (July and August) so this time of you you might be better with lures. But they'd hit the sucker once...the bobber would go down for a mintue and then come back up ...to kill it. They hit it again to scale it...again the bobber is down for a minute and comes up again. The thrid time they hit it they've taken it head first to swallow it, and again you have to wait a couple of minutes till the hook gets into it's mouth ... and then set the hook when the bobber starts heading away more thatn 10 to 15 feet from where you saw it last. This is a good way to use one rod while you flail away with another one using lures.

Every so often you catch a monster bass or an alligator gar.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:58 pm

Dude has the technique. If you are releasing them into the grease and not back into the water, a quick strike rig works well. Either under a big float or just dead sticking them. Just make sure you let them eat the bait. I have worked pike for over 10 minutes while they soften up the bait and get it turned to swallow head first.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby flatbottom mudslinger » Wed May 13, 2009 3:31 pm

I agree with the technique for using live bait, however, Titanium leaders are WAY better than steel. Steel is much stiffer and I think the pike can feel it (I guess by the time they feel it its probably too late). Titanium is smaller diameter and more flimsy. Its real comparable to heavy mono. Theyre more money but worth it. The ones I bought were 14" and were $10 a piece I think. I use the same rig on my tip-ups as I do on my rod and reel. Just replace the tip-up with a rod and the flag with a bobber and your in business. I have a 7' medium heavy casting rod with 30 lb braid and a 7' medium heavy spinning rod with 50 lb braid. I use the casting rod for lighter stuff like spinners and jigs and use the spinning rod for bigger baits like large plugs and swim baits. 50lb is a little much for just pike but I also use that rod for salmon and cats, plus with the rod having large guides and some backbone its makes casting those 1/2 lb swim baits and 12" jointed creek chubs a little easier. I tried fishing heavy baits before with a 6'6" medium spinning with 14 lb mono and its just way too flimsy, sure you can cast em a long ways but its hard to get a good hookset at 100 yds with a 6 1/2 foot medium action rod.
treat every situation like a dog. If you cant eat it or hump it just piss on it and walk away
flatbottom mudslinger
hunter

Return to Fishing