Crazy story...wanted to share!

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler

Crazy story...wanted to share!

Postby kyduck » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:21 pm

In my twenty plus years of fishing experience I have never had this happen, so I wanted to share.
I was crappie fishing at a nearby pond using minnows on the classic gold hook and floater. I was fishing about 15 feet off the bank and catching a whole bunch of 6-7 in crappie. Only one keeper in about 3 hours of fishing. After catching about my 10th crappie, as I was reeling it in I noticed a rather large wave that ran past my floater. I thought to myself, surely not? So I throw the crappie with hook still in its lip back in the water and reel it in again....nothing happened. Thinking it must have been a muskrat or spooked fish I decided to give it one more try just to be sure. Cast out about 15 feet and about 8 feet from the bank I see the same wave. This time I quit reeling and I notice my floater is nowhere to be seen. My line starts moving and I set the hook. A few seconds later I am holding a 5 lb bass with a 6 in crappie in its mouth--my crappie. Somehow I managed to hook the bass in the upper lip with the same golden hook I got the crappie with. It bent the hook all to crap, but managed to bring him in. Unfortunately no camera or cell phone with me. Only weighed it on the Berkley scale and released her back in the pond. It was one of the most exciting experiences I have had while fishing. :thumbsup:
kyduck

Hunting in the bluegrass
kyduck
hunter

Re: Crazy story...wanted to share!

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:49 pm

Thats cool. Thats not something you see everyday. I have caught a catfish like that one time. :thumbsup:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby NHDuckHunter » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:41 pm

thats awesome. We can't do that here. Stupid law, but in MA, I know a bunch of guys that use perch or sunfish for bait. Works great. Matching the hatch so to speak.
a similar thing happened to me. I was fishing with my daughter when she was about 3 or 4 yrs old. I was just hanging out taking sunfish after sunfish off while she threw a bobber and worm off the dock. about the 30th fish she is reeling in, and out from under the dock comes a giant bass, easily 7+ and swallows the sunfish no more than 2 feet from my hand. the fish swam off with her sunfish, but with a #10 hook and 6lb test on a barbie rod, she had no chance. :wink:
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby woodduck14 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:09 am

Pretty cool story, I've tried that many times, but never had anything bite.
Don't tread on me.
woodduck14
hunter

Postby killmaster » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:55 pm

Did this with a little 2 inch Blue Gill once and pulled in a 18 inch Catfish.
NRA Life Member
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
DRAKE: End of story.
killmaster
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:51 am

I use sunfish for bait all the time. Great bait for catfish and bass in the hard fished retention pond across the street from my house. Just catch medium sized sunfish and use big circle hooks. Works like a charm.

I have a similar funny story. I was fishing from shore in a sandy bay in Clark Hill Lake on the Georgia side. I think I was fishing for catfish. I see a nice size striped bass cruising around. The only thing I have in my box that is close to big enough is a 3" silver spoon. So I tie it on and toss it out and the striper disappear into deeper water. I keep casting for awhile standing about knee deep in the water. This school of little white bass comes buy and starts whacking at my spoon. A bunch of 5-6" whites trying to eat a 3" spoon. I'm skipping it along the top having fun watching the little guys whacking at it. Then one of them literal impales himself on the hook about 10' from me. Well that striper hadn't gone as far as I thought. He sees this little white bass thrashing on my hook and comes roaring in like a freight train. The white bass makes a bolt for cover, but the only cover is me :eek: The white bass goes between my legs and so does the about 7 or 8 lb striper :lol3: I had the presence of mind to open the bail, but I also moved my leg so I wouldn't get tangle. That spooked the striper. I pull the white bass in and it was in a catatonic state. Never seen a fish like that. Tossed him back and away the little guy went.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:51 pm

When I was a kid I had a fish on and was reeling it in when it suddenly became much stronger. When it came within 15 feet of the raft I was on, the pike finally spit out the sunfish I had hooked.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:44 pm

While fishing for a few bluegill to eat, had a giant bass take off with a fish on my stringer, pulled the stringer in and the fish would come back after ten minutes or so. Tried to catch her for an hour or so with no luck. Finally put a perch on a hook and ten minutes later was holding a 26.25 in. bass. Unfortunately the fish was real skinny, only had a tape measure, the length and girth measurements said it was around a 10.5 bass, huge for Kansas.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby 1FowlHNTR » Wed May 06, 2009 8:52 am

When I was younger we lived in North Eastern Kentucky. There is a lake up there Called Cave Run Lake. Has some decent bass fishing, and then of course there is the Muskie population. I had just started trying to learn a baitcaster, and was having a great amount of difficulty. On one HORRIBLE backlash, I pulled the white spinnerbait I was using in by hand(it had gone maybe 25 ft). So I get this spinnerbait back to the boat, and there was a 4 inch diameter tree that was broken off at water level. I set the spinnerbait on top of the stump, had enough time to look at my reel, and all hell broke loose. when I looked up there was a muskie tail end that was every bit of 6 inches in diameter and a tail fan of probably 14 inches going over the stump of where the spinnerbait was. Fortunately, he missed it, as he would have broken off the 12lb line as soon as he stripped it to the reel.
SERVICE MEMBERS....If you do not want to stand BEHIND US, feel free to stand IN FRONT OF US...
NRA LIFE MEMBER
DELTA WATERFOWL MEMBER
DUCKS UNLIMITED MEMBER
DUCK COMMANDER "DUCKAHOLICS" MILITARY MEMBER
REFUGE RAT MILITARY MEMBER
1FowlHNTR
hunter

Postby MissedAgain » Thu May 07, 2009 4:48 am

Great story! It's always a lot of fun when the unexpected happens. Thankfully it happens often enough that there is always a possibility.

We were just down the Keys - a 5 ft barracuda did that to my wife's little 12 inch snapper - it was a fun fight with him peeling 150 feet of 10# test off the reel and launching 10-15 feet straight up in the air in the blink of an eye. She had him on for about 5 minutes before the little circle hook pulled. I love those fish for sheer awesomeness.

A quick second one - my mom was catching jack crevalle (fight good but strong taste so we throw 'em back in) and noticed that her fish suddenly gained horsepower...it was a dolphin (flipper) and it played with mom for a while before giving up the now dead fish and following it back to the boat - they gave the dolphin the fish once they unhooked it.
MissedAgain
hunter

Return to Fishing