Snaggin

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Snaggin

Postby chrispbrown27 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:59 am

Like I said in the post on the feathered fish I was watching the guys snag below the dam yesterday and I decided I've gotta give it a try. Anyone got any advice on a good rod and reel combo? I've got a 7 and a half foot stiff rod that I bought a few years back, would that work? As far as a reel goes, I've got Abu garcias, can't think of the model numbers, but they're pretty heavy duty, would one of those work? Would a heavy surf rod be better? I would prefer to use a baitcaster as opposed to a spinning reel, but I could use either one. Any other tips or warnings? Thanks
Vegetarian- Indian word for lousy hunter.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Re: Snaggin

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:07 am

Here's a warning. In most states snagging is illegal so check first. :thumbsup: Just because someone else didn't doesn't mean it's legal and won't get you out of trouble with the law. Check the regs first. :thumbsup:
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby chrispbrown27 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:18 am

It's legal below the dam I know that. I'm checking on the specifics right now but I do know it's legal. The CO was called out for the incident involving a pelican and some hillbillies so if it wasn't legal the CO wouldn't have been called, or at least no one would have stuck around.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby killmaster » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:20 am

Are you talking about Salmon in Washington/Oregon. If so that is highly Illegal and I advise you to reconsider how you want to fish.

Game wardens love writing tickets for this.
NRA Life Member
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
DRAKE: End of story.
killmaster
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:49 am

Nope. I'm in Illinois and I'm talking about snaggin for spoonbills.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby killmaster » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:50 pm

Well no idea. I personally won't snag as I don't feel its sporting, but to each their own I guess.
NRA Life Member
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
DRAKE: End of story.
killmaster
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:56 pm

It's probably not legal for every species below the dam. If you snag something you aren't supposed to and get caught, you're in just as much trouble. I guarantee the GW hears "I was snagging for spoonbills" all the time from violators. I'm just saying if you do it be ready for things like that because there are people out there breaking the law and making excuses, as well as those that are completely legit.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:22 pm

chrispbrown27 wrote:Nope. I'm in Illinois and I'm talking about snaggin for spoonbills.
Where are you looking at going. I have also thought about giving snagging for spoonbills (filter feeders, so they only hit the very tiny plankton flies tied on a #98 mustad short shank hook :lol3: ). If you get any better guidance let me know. I think I'm in about the same boat as you are as far as how to go about it.

Snagging is 100% legal in Illinois under certain conditions that are pretty clear in our regulations booklet. You can even snag salmon in certain harbors on Lake Michigan. It helps keep the salmon from stinking up the lake front as they hopeless try to spawn. Snagging salmon is a circus and I've no desire to do that. I've heard stories of people on opposite sides of the harbor snagging the same fish and ending up in a tug of war :no: Too many idiots throwing too many big chunks of lead with big hooks in them for me.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:36 pm

I'm sure Illinois is like Missouri where Snaggin Spoonbill is a big deal. Its the only way you can catch them so thats why they open up a "Snagging Season". People apparently put out long lines with huge treble hooks to snag those critters. The gear I've seen people use are rigs more for fishing in the ocean than for freshwater fish.

I've never done it, but in Texas, where I'm from, its illegal to do, but we also don't have Spoonbill.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:41 pm

http://www.mdc.mo.gov/conmag/2005/02/10.htm

Here is an article to read on the topic.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:58 pm

Thank God you midwesterners showed up! I think they were gonna string me up for even talking about snaggin.
No I'm not going after salmon or bass or stripers or any of your other beloved gamefish. Spoonbill and carp are what you're looking for when ya snag around here. It is legal, within certain areas. Mostly rivers and areas near dams and spillways. I agree that it isnt the most sporting way to go about catching a fish but when it comes to spoonbills theres no other way to do it, and thats some of the cleanest whitest meat you'll ever eat. Watched a little asian man pull bighead carp out left and right and toss them back up on the bank with a big grin on his face, so some think the carp are worth keeping.
As far as the guy from Joliet goes, I know the stiffer the rod the better. I'll probably end up using a saltwater reel and finding a piece of cane for the rod. Can't promise anything but if ya get a chance to come down this way sometime we'll go fumble through it together!
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:07 pm

Hey man, this was the first year I've ever heard about it. It seems like fun and my wife really wants to go. I'm trying to convince her we need to get a guide, since we're not going to live here for forever and we'll spend less on a guide than the gear.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:23 pm

Chris,

Where abouts are you at? You don't have it in your profile.

Unfortunately, my weekends are pretty well booked for the rest of snagging season this year, but there is still a chance I might be able to slip away. I've been hoping to get downstate to do some bowfishing. I might head to the Kentucky Lake this summer. Maybe we can chase some asian carp with the bow. The silvers are good eating, but soft meat that needs to be put on ice quickly. They are bony, but the bones are fairly big and easy to pick out. I've never eaten a bighead.

GroundSwatter,

Good link. Thanks.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:01 pm

chrispbrown27 wrote: I agree that it isnt the most sporting way to go about catching a fish but when it comes to spoonbills theres no other way to do it, and thats some of the cleanest whitest meat you'll ever eat.

Sure there is its called fiberglass. You live in an area where bowfishing for them is very successful, and by the way the silver carp are better than any other fish in the river. Not the bigheads but the silvers or jumping carp as some call them.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby chrispbrown27 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:53 pm

Well sure bow fishing is sporting but doesn't work real well for spoonbills I would guess. And as far as carp go I'm not overly concerned about em. Always heard they're worth eating just heard for too many years that they're trash fish I guess.
As far as the equiptment goes you can always find another use for it man! If ya end up on a coast ya got a surf rod if ya end up near a big flat head lake ya got a flat head rod. There's always a big fish somewhere that you can use a big rod on.
I'm around the belleville area. I need to update my profile but instead I spend my time looking for snaggin equiptment and tips! Gotta do something til duck season comes in!
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:27 am

We are not allowed to bowfish for spoonbills in Illinois. They do bowfish for them in other states. It is a trophy fish and pretty challenging to get one as I understand it. Never done it yet.

I go to the ocean quite a bit. My current ocean rods are a little small for casting 8+ ounces of lead, but I could go "light" tackle for them.

Common carp - taste awful. My experience is 9 out 10 people think they are the most god-awful tasting thing on the planet. The other 1 guy thinks the rest of us are nuts and loves them :no: The give all other carp a bad name.

Grass carp - small ones (up to 10 or so lbs) are absolutely delicious. White flakey meat with some bones. I shot a 50+ lb one. That was one huge and absolutely disgusting tasting fish.

Silver carp - Good to eat. White soft flesh. Need to get on ice quickly and they will have bones. Gets kind of mushy if not put on ice.

Bighead carp - Never eaten. I've heard they are not bad, but not as good as silvers.

If I remember right, they all have mudlines that you want to cut out.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:46 am

I ended up picking up a saltwater reel at walmart and I already had a 7 foot medium action casting rod that may be considered a bit on the light side, but I figured it would make it more of a fight and a lot more fun. Now I've got to decide what lb test I want to use. An uncle of mine uses 50 pound test but that sounds a bit light to me. When you consider the fact that you could definately hook into a 100 plus pound fish 50 seems a bit low, but I guess if ya play em and set the drag right it's possible. As far as the weights go, that depends on the current and where the fish are piled up. If they're suspended then a light weight fits the bill, if they're on the bottom then of course thats where you want to be. I make my own decoy weights which cost me nothing so that will be what I use for weights on my snagging set-up. Now I have to find some big ole treble hooks, which of course walmart doesn't have, so a trip to cabelas is in order and that really upsets me....maybe I can find some decoys....
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:55 pm

I figured you could bowfish for spoonies up there, they can in all the other states around yall. They kill lots of them in indiana and kentucky like that. We never got a crack at one as they werent up but killed lots of silvers and bigheads, which was neat cause we dont have them here.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:00 pm

Illinois is probably the most restrictive about what you can bowfish for. They have a list of what you can bowfish for and if it is not on the list, then you cannot. Basically, carp, gar, suckers, and dogfish and that's it. No shad, no catfish, no drum, ...
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby capt. ken » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:14 pm

chrispbrown27 wrote:I know the stiffer the rod the better!

Indeed it is... :yes: :yes: :hi:
shoot em, shoot em in the head
capt. ken
hunter

Postby mattm25tx » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:37 pm

I snagged a 5ft snake yesterday he was pissed it was fun getting him off. I had a crowd watching me unhook him.
Matts Mobile Marine Service

If your not living life on the edge you are taking up too much room
mattm25tx
hunter

Postby allnighter » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:27 pm

In florida people snag mullet all the time. The best thing to snag with here is us a 8ft rode with braided line so it doesn't stretch and you get a good hook set,
allnighter
hunter

Postby flatbottom mudslinger » Thu May 14, 2009 6:37 am

When I was in Alaska I stayed at a campground in Seward and at the edge of town along the beach there much have been 50 guys along about a 200 yard stretch, they were all snagging for salmon. Most of them were using what my dad always called "pool cues". These rods were probably around the 9' mark with guides big enough to slip a beer can through, the huge spinning reels would have made sufficient canoe anchors, and you would have had to have a pretty big hand to be able to touch your thumb and for finger together around the handle. The hooks were huge too Im not sure what size they are but I found one snagged on rock along the beach (It must have been low tide) and I still have it sitting on a shelf, the gap is probably about an inch wide maybe a hair more making the treble a 2"+ diameter. I watched as one guy cranked in about a 25 pounder pushing about 36", I went over to see it closer and talked to him for a minute...He said it was a small one! I always thought there was a technique to snagging, like tight lining but trickier, I thought you were supposed to wait to feel the fish bump into your line then set the hook. These guys were just ripping and cranking, ripping and cranking, no technique what so ever, just luck.

I just bought a "big game" rod yesterday its a 7' medium heavy spinning rod spooled with 50lb braid. I bought it for cats with the assumtion I will be using it for pike and musky also. I think it would make a good snagging stick; but I dont snag. I dont believe its legal here in MI, not sure, never looked into it, just dont have any interest.
treat every situation like a dog. If you cant eat it or hump it just piss on it and walk away
flatbottom mudslinger
hunter

Postby Rick618 » Thu May 14, 2009 10:20 am

They used to do that on the TN river before they banned it, right below the dams where the water was churning out of the turbines was the favorite place. Folks would use huge chunks of bamboo for poles with small diameter rope and as many as 10 large treble hooks on the line. You tie the hook on then loop the dropper end over one of the hooks to keep it straight with the line. Using everything from wheel weights to spark plugs for weight. They would toss the line out and rip it or just drop it and jerk it upwards. Totally random luck at actually hitting anything but it was fun to watch them tussle with a 20 or more pounder trying to hoist it over the concrete wall and rail.
Rick618
hunter

Postby berettaguy17 » Fri May 15, 2009 12:37 pm

hey spinner, have you ever bowfished down here in LaSalle county. i guess they have some good asian shoots in the spring valley pool of the illinois
Why not shoot all 3 shots, they make more shells everyday.
berettaguy17
hunter

Next

Return to Fishing