How close is too close

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna, WSUWESTON

How close is too close

Postby dudejcb » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:33 am

Last summer a friend and I were catching crappie using his boat. To me crappie fishing is more a social/community activity in the same way dove hunting is, and duck hunting (with other parties that is) , bass and trout fishing are not. So a certain amount of crowding is expected, but I try to leave at least casting distance+ between me and the nearest boat. We pretty much had the spot to ourselves cuz we had arrived early to beat the heat.

About 10 am a pontoon boat motors up, slows down and continues coming and at about 10-feet drops anchor. the guy on board then asks: Are we too close? we replied, "oh no you're fine--got any beer" and then looked at each other. Now whenever we have both our boats out on the same lake and we see the other one, we pull up, gently run into the other's boat and then ask: Am I too close?

What's too close for you when it comes to crappie?
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Re: How close is too close

Postby Montanafowler » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:00 pm

dude, what lake? if it was lowell then there is no too close, at least that's what i find whenever i try to fish there.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:52 pm

There are some lakes around here where when they are in a certain spot. There will be 30 plus boats and you could litterally walk from one to the other. Thats too close for me.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby dudejcb » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:11 am

That happened at CJ Strike, but I know what you mean about Lowell. The jet and water ski crowd at Lowell are a dense group. First they want to come within 50-feet of you when you bass fising the shoreline. And then, when you finally try to escape, they each spen 1--minute trying to launch their boats. Apparently the don't know to unstrap the boat from the trailer and get the cover off, load all your stuff into the boat while in the parking lot. NO, these geniuses was till they're parked at the bottom of the ramp, but not in the water, to do all the preparatory stuff.

Really inconsiderate bunch of dweebs...oh yeah, and their boats come with built in boom boxes so we can all enjoy their noise.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:53 am

dudejcb wrote:That happened at CJ Strike, but I know what you mean about Lowell. The jet and water ski crowd at Lowell are a dense group. First they want to come within 50-feet of you when you bass fising the shoreline. And then, when you finally try to escape, they each spen 1--minute trying to launch their boats. Apparently the don't know to unstrap the boat from the trailer and get the cover off, load all your stuff into the boat while in the parking lot. NO, these geniuses was till they're parked at the bottom of the ramp, but not in the water, to do all the preparatory stuff.

Really inconsiderate bunch of dweebs...oh yeah, and their boats come with built in boom boxes so we can all enjoy their noise.

i stopped fishing lowell when i nearly got my float tube flipped by a jet ski boat that came within 50 feet of me, i was in the weedline throwing deer hair poppers! 4 foot wave nearly tipped me over, that was last summer. Strike can be just as bad, good thing there's the shallow rock cliffs to take out their hulls :yes: at Strike, i'd say 500 feet is too close.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:43 pm

dudejcb wrote:So a certain amount of crowding is expected, but I try to leave at least casting distance+ between me and the nearest boat.
That's my general rule. If it's getting crowded, I split the difference between fisherman. I'm going fishing and if that means we are shoulder to shoulder, then so be it. I've fished many very crowded spots and it doesn't bother me when somebody comes up next to me when it's crowded, but it just ticks me off when they crowd you when they have a ton of free space. Usually that is because they don't know what they are doing and see you catching fish, so they think it must be the spot.

I had a guy literally park his boat on top of my baits one time when I was fishing from shore. There were probably 20 acres of good fishing and I think it was just me and him fishing. What sucked was I was having a great day and he killed it by parking on top of the fish. My guess is he saw me hauling in fish and wasn't getting anything. I just happened to have my line drift into his and almost jerked his rod in the river. "Oops sorry, I thought I had a bite" If he would have just parked 20 yards down stream we both could have worked the hole.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby allnighter » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:28 pm

I fish a lot more saltwater, and I have been on the flats before and had people run there bout between me and the shore that im 20 yards off of. That is to close when I can cast and hit your boat.
allnighter
hunter

Postby dog walker » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:51 pm

Fish naked that keeps most folks at a distance unless you have some split tails in the boat with you.
dog walker
hunter

Postby side-slippin » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:22 pm

dudejcb wrote:That happened at CJ Strike...

were you in the arm? thats the only place i've seen it get really crowded. right when the H20 really starts warming up and the perch and crappie start biting good.
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Return to Fishing