Alaska Halibut are biting!

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Alaska Halibut are biting!

Postby waldo2382 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:31 pm

Sorry, but no pictures so you're just going to have to take my word for it. Last Wednesday June 3rd, had a late start (noon) but made the tides. My friend didn't want to stay long, but my local "chicken" halibut spot produced all the 15 to 30 pound halibut you can want. Fished about 125 feet about 16 1/2 miles from the dock. Needless to say, we got limits and were back at the filet tables by 3. Went out again on Saturday with 4 friends and fished the same area with the same results. Limits. That's a total of 10 halibut up to 40 pounds with some 30 pounders mixed in. Weather was clear, but ROUGH!!! Lots of them caught their first halibut ever.
Currently at work until the 23rd then I'll be back and hopefully get some whoppers and some pictures. There is a halibut derby and the leader is a 175 pound fish that will no doubt be beat by a fish over 300 pounds. Anyway, salmon are biting in the salt water too, but haven't trolled around for them yet. I'll let you know and try and have updates everytime I go out.
By the way, this fishing thing is just something to do until duck season starts, then it's time to get serious.
Fair winds and following seas,
Waldo
Alaskans for Global Warming

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
waldo2382
hunter

Re: Alaska Halibut are biting!

Postby berettaguy17 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:17 pm

That sounds like a good ol time there
Why not shoot all 3 shots, they make more shells everyday.
berettaguy17
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:10 am

I'll be in Alaska doing exactly that in less than a month. Will be my first trip that far north and I'm fired up about all the things I'm going to catch that I have not caught before, i.e. Halibut and Salmon.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby waldo2382 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:05 am

Sounds good there, Groundswatter. What part of Alaska will you be visiting? I'll be off work in a few days and will be doin' plenty of fishin' for the next two weeks. The king salmon run has been a little on the week side, but plenty of sockeyes around and even a few silver salmon already being reported. Halibut fishing should be good. Lingcod opens on July 1st and I'm excited about that.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
waldo2382
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:26 am

Its a trip that my dad did most of the arrangements on, but I'll try to get out what I remember. My family, mom, dad, brother, plus my wife and I are going to fly into anchorage, take a train from there to Seward. I think we're going to spend July 4 in Seward. Then we're going to drive to Homer and stay at a Cabin outside of Homer.

One day will be sight seeing in the Kenai Fjords national park.
Another day for King Salmon Fishing, another day for halibut, and we're also going to do a flyout trout fishing trip.

My wife likes to fish, so she'll do some fishing with my dad, brother, and I, but I think one day her and my mom are going to fly to Brook River Falls to do some bear viewing.

It seems like whether you book your trips through the guy that owns the cabin or if you book them through an actual outfitter, its the same cost. We have a free day built in, so we may either do more fishing or sight seeing. Probly sight seeings since we'll have to keep the ladies happy.

Should be a great trip and I'm looking forward to it. Anything I need to know before we get out that way? We're leaving in about 10 days and I'm fired up.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby waldo2382 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:03 am

Well it's a lot colder up here than Texas. Whenever I'm out on the water for the day, I wear thermals and wool socks since the breeze can be a little brisk. If you have your own rods, the Russian River north of Soldotna is corroded with sockeye (red) salmon and the fish and game just upped the limit to 6 from the usual 3. It is combat fishing and could be worth just to look at. Be bear smart in that neck of the woods. The rivers on the Kenai Peninsula close to king salmon fishing on July 1st if they are not already closed. Drive safe, lots of moose are out and about especially in the mornings and evenings, even downtown of any town. A 1200 pound moose vs. standard vehicle is typically not a good outcome for either involved.
Take lots of pictures.
I'm not sure what the tides are coming up, but good clamming for razors and steamers can be had at a -2.0 tide or lower. If you walk on the beach, becareful because that tide can come in QUICK! Two kids almost drowned near Anchorage last week that were playing on the beach. Whiskey Gulch and Clam Gulch are the popular spots to go (between Homer and Soldotna) just need a shovel and a bucket.
Alaska ain't cheap, it isn't just for the tourists either, we all pay the same prices. A $5 footlong cost $7.50 up here at Subway. Bring raingear, there aren't many things that are guarenteed in life, but you'll need that raingear, even if it isn't raining, it acts as a good wind breaker.
Salmon fishing can be very frustrating, sometimes they seem to bite eveyone else's line and sometimes you're the hot rod. Be willing to learn and most of all, have a good time and with all the daylight we have up here, don't waste any of it. You can sleep when you go home. Any questions, please feel free to ask.

waldo2382
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:22 am

Yeah, its going to be a big switch going from 90-100 degree weather to 45-55. It hasn't been that cool here in a while. Oh well, I've got some rain gear, and I'm just going to layer up the best I can. Should be a good trip and thanks for the pointers.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Return to Fishing