Anyone ever seen anything like this?

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Anyone ever seen anything like this?

Postby DeathDlr7VI » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:40 pm

I've never come across it myself. But I'm sure some of you diehard fishermen in here have. White, maggot like parasite inside a fish fillet. I got this pic off another website that I frequent. But the res is bad. So if anyone has any better quality pics, please post them up. This pic was a bluegill fillet.

DeathDlr7VI
hunter

Re: Anyone ever seen anything like this?

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:00 am

I've seen this before and it is hard to see good in the photo, but, they fry up along with the rest of it. Hasn't killed me yet :wink:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DeathDlr7VI » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:17 pm

swampbilly 1980 wrote:I've seen this before and it is hard to see good in the photo, but, they fry up along with the rest of it. Hasn't killed me yet :wink:

WHAT?.........I think you would fare well in Fear Factor then; at least the eatting portion of it anyway. I eat some pretty funky stuff.......but I can't get over those maggot like looking parasites.
DeathDlr7VI
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:33 am

believe it or not...it will not hurt you. I forget what the technical biological name for it is....but it is a parasite and the fish is just the host. It is fairly common down here in louisiana in saltwater fish. If you have ever eaten fried fish in a restaurant, you have probably eaten them before as the USDA considers it harmless..... :hi:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:31 am

DeathDlr7VI wrote:
swampbilly 1980 wrote:I've seen this before and it is hard to see good in the photo, but, they fry up along with the rest of it. Hasn't killed me yet :wink:

WHAT?.........I think you would fare well in Fear Factor then; at least the eatting portion of it anyway. I eat some pretty funky stuff.......but I can't get over those maggot like looking parasites.
Hee, Hee, I know what you mean, I questioned it years ago. There are also some long skinny red looking wormlike parasites that are scary looking that you see in the winter in some Ring Perch. Some are uo to 6" long , I just scrape 'em out and enjoy :beer:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MossyGO! » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:56 am

kind of like rice breasts in ducks. Been known to be fine when fully cooked but cutting them out would be my first choice. Apparently any type of parasite that starts out as a maggot has no affect if you consume it. Some parasites or maggots turn into full worms after they reach their hosts and that's when you should worry. In my extensive medical opinion, cornmeal and vegetable oil with reverse the growth of any parasites.
idahofowler wrote: i can shoulder a gun faster than anyone i know. i try to let the people i'm hunting with have the first shot because i can clean house even if i fire last. with instinct shots, no one beats me.
MossyGO!
Forum & State Moderator

Postby capt. ken » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:28 pm

It's just extra protein. fry that bad boy and enjoy :grooving:
shoot em, shoot em in the head
capt. ken
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:15 am

I fish all over Wisconsin and we see this a lot, espeically with smaller panfish, espeically in summer when the water temps are up. I'm sure these guys are right about them being harmless but i usaully sort them out. The only panfish i have never found anything in is a crappie.
Bill Herian
hunter

Return to Fishing