Any Mountain Bikers?

Camping, Hiking, ATV, Snowmobiling, GeoCaching

Moderator: LaRedneck

Any Mountain Bikers?

Postby hyperduck » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:08 pm

Biking is my other passion. Its a great way to keep in shape and spend time in the woods. I live in PA and have several riding options very close by.

Here's some photos while riding in Central PA.
Attachments
100_1294.JPG
100_1289.JPG
100_1287.JPG
100_1286.JPG
hyperduck
hunter

Re: Any Mountain Bikers?

Postby Kiskadinna » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:48 pm

I mountain bike too - really any kind of biking as I've done more miles on the road this year - but also more times mountain biking than in past years too. Looks like you ride a Trek there? Not a bad looking bike.
I'm still working on rigging up a trailer setup for biking to backwoods potholes - this might be the year!
Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby NHDuckHunter » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:03 am

I just put my Trek 8900 back together after a long child induced lay-off. I need to get rid of the man boobs before upland season. You hit mid 30's and the weight doesn't just fall off like it used to. Anyway. I used to love riding and am excited to get back in to it. No good places to mountain bike around me though anymore (I used to live in WA which was awesome), so I may be in the market to sell the 8900 and get a road bike (Ick, its hard to even say it, roadies :fingerhead: )
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:45 pm

I bought my first "real" road bike this year - used to race cyclocross so I always used that. Still I would never consider myself a roadie - but given my work schedule its a heck of a lot easier to get out on the road bike. Sort of changed my view point - there's not another feeling like a 48 MPH downhill corner on tires less than an inch in width!
I just rebuilt my 12 year old suspension fork on the classic MTB tonight planning on biking to some fishing spots this weekend on it.
That 8900 is a nice bike - enjoy getting back out on it.
Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby hyperduck » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:12 am

Kiska-
It's a Trek 4800 hard tail. A mid-range bike. I like it, a real work horse. I like the idea of rigging your bike with a trailer. Been thinking about getting a kayak trailer for the bike. I can take a bike path near my house to a place to kayak. It's about 15 miles round trip and the kayak loop (river and canal combo) is about five miles. I have both biked and kayaked with my 10 year old son on the same day before. He calls it surf and turf...

My buddy told me about a guy that rides to his deer stand on his bike during archery season.
hyperduck
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:13 am

Kiskadinna wrote:That 8900 is a nice bike - enjoy getting back out on it.
Erik

Thanks, I am already looking to replace the frame. It really is a disease. :lol3: I don't know whats worse, hunting or biking. The bike is very fast, but I think I am at the age that I am ready to slow down and get a softtail.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:14 am

hyperduck wrote:Kiska-

My buddy told me about a guy that rides to his deer stand on his bike during archery season.

I just rig up a pully system and pull the bike up in the trees somewhere away from my stand. I can't remember where it is, but I saw a website for a place that sells all kinds of racks for bikes, gun racks, bow racks, tree stand racks.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:59 am

Well, I went and did it now. crashed hard this weekend. :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: Hardly walking today, two very swollen knees, lots of cuts, maybe a concussion or two. :hammer: :hammer: :lol3: :lol3: I guess I am not so young and agile anymore. Had a fun time anyway though, put some good miles on the bike and on the legs. Definately looking for a full suspension rig now though.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:02 pm

If you ever have questions on fullly sus'd bikes, give a holler. I've been around long enough to see what works and what doesn't.
I love the control full suspension gives, but still ride a hardtail for the challenge.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby NHDuckHunter » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:52 pm

I just picked up a Trek Fuel today. I know there was some questions about their reliability and them breaking, but I have always been a fan of Treks, their warranty is top notch, and the high end ones are stil made in Wisconsin.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:35 pm

Yeah try to touch those for cheap though - the waterloo made ones that is.
That Fuel is a good bike, and Im not even a Trek dealer! That ABP is the the best FS Trek has had in a while, one of my wrenches rides a remedy and is building a session. Definitely good things to come from their suspension.
Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby silverbullet32 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:22 am

here's my downhilling bike--
"Ain't nothin better, than duck huntin weather"

Teal- 8
Wigeon- 2
silverbullet32
hunter

Postby swampwise » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:59 pm

i'm just getting into mtn biking good lately. i bought a giant xTc 2 recently and have put several miles of singletrack under it already. loving it.
assateague wrote:
Indawoods wrote:I had a great, great aunt born with a vestigial tail. :lol3:

That was your great, great uncle. Tell him to turn around.
swampwise
hunter

Postby daffy... » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:25 pm

i have a specialized hardrock sport. gotta love hard tails.

i do alittle dirt jump. use to race motocross and this is my way of keeping it in the vines

lost of trails around here. also ive been known to use it for jump shooting and deer hunting
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby njonesy_07 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:05 am

I just recently got into serious mountain biking here in Oregon. There are some sweet trails here around campus and Corvallis, needless to say keeping busy between classes this spring term hasn't been very difficult. Mostly alot of all-mountain trails with some decent single track.

The plan is to build up a sweet all-mountain/downhill bike off of this frame I picked up w/ Syncros stem and handlebars for $65. The frame is very light weight and is pretty burly. After a green powder coat, she'll be all ready to begin building. Should be a fun project and a sick ride when I'm done with it. :yes:

Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby njonesy_07 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:14 am

NHDuckHunter wrote:I just picked up a Trek Fuel today. I know there was some questions about their reliability and them breaking, but I have always been a fan of Treks, their warranty is top notch, and the high end ones are stil made in Wisconsin.

Fuel Ex is a pretty good bike, it'll definitely work well for you. Personally I didn't not like the geometry of the Fuel....I just felt more comfortable on some other bikes (the Remedy 9.9 is one sweet ride, practically climbs hills on its own!). Here is the Fuel Ex I rode when Trek had its Demo Tour in town.

In regards to your crash, don't feel bad...it happens to everyone, even young guys like me (I'm 19). I wrecked pretty hard nearly 2 weeks ago and screwed up my knee pretty bad. Still hurts to walk at times and running, but I was lucky I didn't tear an ACL or something like that. I even hit the dirt pretty good yesterday too, I have some good bruises and cuts...but I guess it comes with the territory. Keep up the hard riding, it only get more fun with full suspension bikes. :thumbsup:
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Return to Outdoor Activities