Banning of ATV's...

Camping, Hiking, ATV, Snowmobiling, GeoCaching

Moderator: LaRedneck

Banning of ATV's...

Postby Ducksbeus » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:42 am

Rumor mill has it that the National Forestry and WMA's are contemplating banning, or severly restricting, ATV use on publc land. Im for it...I hate hearing them thingys when Im in the woods, and, I dont mind the walk. Y'alls thoughts please :tounge: :tounge: :tounge:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:54 am

I certainly appreciate peace and quiet in the woods, and don't use one myself, but I think there is a place for balance. They do deserve the right to have access - some people use them because they're getting up there in years and it makes it more accessible. Others use them because they are pinheads and like to rip through places at top speed - in this bunch are some individuals who ruin it for the rest.
I think if we're gonna draw a line, WMA's is a good place -and there will probably be 100 angry responses that opinion is sure to draw - but on the flipside I don't know that an all out ban in state and national forests is reasonable. I sure do hate it though when I'm walking the woods for grouse and a pack of 10 four wheelers goes joyriding by - though I'm not sure they feel too comfortable coming up on three guys with guns either.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby Boomn4x4 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:03 pm

I'm with kisk....I think there is a place for them, but also recognize the problems they cause. My father-in-law uses his in the winter and winterizes his car. From Labor Day to Memorial Day that's all he drives.
I love my job, it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
Boomn4x4
Membership permanently suspended

Postby Wooderson » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:05 pm

Like Kiskadinna said some people do actually need them to enjoy the outdoors because of age or a disability therefore i do not think that it is fair to bann them completely because this would take away the right of these people to do what they enjoy doing. But there is also the flip side where there are guys out in the woods and rip around as fast as they can and these are the people who can give other people bad reputations. People tend not to see the ones who use things properly or respectively but instead see only people who abuse and disrespect other people around them.
Wooderson
hunter

Postby Magnum#2 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:20 pm

I hear you boys. There is always a few who mess it up for a lot us. But be careful, there is a lot of people out there who would like to restrict where we hunt as well. :thumbsdown:
Magnum#2
hunter

Postby xfps » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:17 pm

The same bunch will just get the old Jeeps back out and really tear things up. At least around here during big Game season before the atv craze they would just chain up a old willys and tear the hell out of stuff, with the atvs they dont tear as much up, In fact the trail we use constantly with horses gets just as bad. "not to curse myself" but I dont want to see the chained up vehicles back.
xfps
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:24 pm

I agree with xpfs. I dont think we should ban them.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby shrpshtr » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:43 pm

SC already has restrictions/bans on atv's on wma's and state forest lands. you can't use them period except for on designated trails. (those are usually only a few miles for joy riding around here) it's quite frustrating actually. i know NC and Maryland also have severe restrictions/bans on OHV (off-highway vehicle) use on public grounds. i personally think the bans/restrictions are horse crap. the legislative bodies almost invariably use the "environment conservation" excuse when they couldn't be less accurate. aside from the few bad apples, most atv riders are responsible outdoorsmen just like any of us. in the county i live in we have almost 34k + contiguous acres of WMA/state forest land. of that, you can ride ohv's on a total of approximately 10 miles of trails inside of a 100 acre track of land. complete crap... :thumbsdown: there are way too many positives with atv's for this kinda stuff.
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby portahunter » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:56 pm

I know they're banned on the WMA's in Texas and are banned on the NWR in my area. Of course our ground is so saturated all the time, even if you are a responsible user there is no way you can keep from tearing up the ground. Can't drive them the beaches down here either. I don't really care cause I don't drive one anyway.
portahunter
hunter

Postby cbr » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:14 pm

Maine has restricted them everywhere without written permission, or on organized trails....Best thing that could have happened here. I believe ATV's have played a huge roll in the increased number of posted signs.
cbr
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:54 pm

I have one. I use it. We have designated trails here in Wisconsin. We Can't ride them off road on public hunting grounds, but there are times that I wish we could. I use mine for basically getting from point "A" to point "B". I'm not a recreational rider for the most part, but I love using it to go ice fishing. It makes dragging a shanty and all your gear a real treat. I wish they would allow people to use them to drag out deer or bear, but I'm not an advocate of allowing people to ride them over the ground where there is no trail, but I also think we could support more trails in this state. There are a small number of people who choose to take the ATV off the main trail, which eventually pisses off someone.

The best advantage to having an ATV is when it snows. It actually makes plowing enjoyable, and I know the neighbors appreciate the fact that I don't mind plowing their driveway for them.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Outdoor Activities