Geo Caching

Camping, Hiking, ATV, Snowmobiling, GeoCaching

Moderator: LaRedneck

Geo Caching

Postby quackingtim » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:32 pm

Are there any others here that love to do this? For me, it's what I hunt when waterfowl season is out.
quackingtim
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:56 am

I definitely did it hardcore for a while - still do it some if i'm in a new place. I've foudn that its just not as big in some places. In MN/WI, I've done 20 in a day - here they are much fewer than that. for that reason I have probably searched for 10 in the past year. Great way to learn to use a GPS though!
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby quackingtim » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:45 pm

We found six today, and found geese in a field and got the go to hunt there.
quackingtim
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:59 am

That's another reason I like it - not a bad way to find new areas to hunt!
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby wingshooter2009 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:46 pm

Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; Genisus 27:3

"Duck Hunting Is like a Box of Chocolates... You Never Know What You're Gonna Get!"
wingshooter2009
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:11 pm

wingshooter2009 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eI4BumtpfA

What's this gotta do with the price of eggs?
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby wingshooter2009 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:56 pm

lol ive been everywhere....geocaching? you go around places? dang......i messed that up..lol
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; Genisus 27:3

"Duck Hunting Is like a Box of Chocolates... You Never Know What You're Gonna Get!"
wingshooter2009
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:01 pm

I've been once, but I have found 3 while out hunting. Twice I was with someone that had no idea what they were.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:33 pm

NHDuckHunter wrote:I've been once, but I have found 3 while out hunting. Twice I was with someone that had no idea what they were.

Two years ago I got my second deer of the year while geocaching - had to get a roadkill permit from a suburban police officer who was wet behind the ears. Then there was the whole business with the fact that he had to... dispatch the injured thing... needless to say a greenhorn with an MP-5 and a fear of paperwork made for an interesting story (we had to straddle the deer and finish it since good ol' annie oakley couldnt hack it). A little different than finding them while hunting - I guess I found hunting while geocaching.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby greenster » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:31 pm

I'd like to do it, its just rare around here. I'm only person I know that owns a gps...
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby norcalhunter13 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:51 am

I have friends who do it...but I dont, I just scout for duck hunting holes insead... :thumbsup:
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
Proud Member of Ducks Unlimited
Proud Member of Delta Waterfowl
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby verno_13th » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:55 pm

deleted
Last edited by verno_13th on Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
verno_13th
hunter

Postby Dustin07 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:06 pm

I'm thinking about picking up a Magellan sportrak and learning how to geocache. main reason is to find new lakes that have no trails for fishing, but also I thought it would get me into more ducks, turkey, and possibly other game down the road.
Dustin07
hunter

Re:

Postby Kiskadinna » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:13 pm

Dustin07 wrote:I'm thinking about picking up a Magellan sportrak and learning how to geocache. main reason is to find new lakes that have no trails for fishing, but also I thought it would get me into more ducks, turkey, and possibly other game down the road.

SOrry it took a while to notice this. I've found a number of great hunting locations while geocaching. I dont do it as much as I did a couple years back, but the out of the way places yield a lot of good possibilities.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Re: Geo Caching

Postby berettaguy17 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:19 pm

what is geocaching???
Why not shoot all 3 shots, they make more shells everyday.
berettaguy17
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:21 pm

in its most basic form, someone hides a container, logs the coordinates and shares them with someone else. The most common location for this is www.geocaching.com - after marking the coordinates of a hidden cache, a searcher loads them into their GPS receiver. Then, they go look for it. Sounds easy, but due to signal strength, and other errors, its not a slam dunk on finding it. Its basically a high tech treasure hunt.

I really don't do it much anymore myself, but I recommend it for new GPS users. its a great way to learn waypoint marking, navigation to an unknown point, and has the potential to teach other concepts like projecting waypoints. For a real challenge, doing it with a map and compass is good skill building too.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby swampwise » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:56 pm

i was about to ask what geocaching was, but now i know, thanks to that last post. it sounds like something i would REALLY enjoy. somebody help a newbie out. what kind of equipment setup would be good for a beginner? if i remember right, i have an old garmin e-trex laying around. is that enough to get me started?
assateague wrote:
Indawoods wrote:I had a great, great aunt born with a vestigial tail. :lol3:

That was your great, great uncle. Tell him to turn around.
swampwise
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:36 pm

Absolutely - you dont need much to get into caching. I have to confess, i dont do it much these days but I am still confident in what it can give you with regards to GPS nav. Drop a Pm if you have more Qs

Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:27 pm

I have had a blast finding caches, my personal best in one day is 32. this of course was on a roadtrip day, so we were in a new place and there were lots of caches to find. it is the absolute best way for someone new to a GPS to learn how to use it. also when you are in a new town it helps a "tourist" to find some of the local spots. try it out, it can be a load of fun, or frustrating as hell.
JR
pgquackstacker wrote:Maybe you guys can hunt together and touch barrels.

Redbeard wrote: I simply side step the charging dog and swiftly deliver a judo chop to the back of the neck, temporarily disabling the dog. I then apply a rear naked choke until the dog falls asleep.
3legged_lab
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:18 am

I just got an Etrex Venture I am planning on trying to cache some for sure!!
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby LaRedneck » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:17 pm

Best way to get to know your GPS, good luck and keep us in formed on what you find.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Duckingaround » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:27 pm

I've done it a bunch. The kids love it. I have an iphone and there is an app for it that makes it really easy. No downloading anything on the computer. You just click the one you want to find and go.
Duckingaround
hunter

Postby rupprider » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:07 pm

I use billion dollar sattelites to find tupperware in the woods. . . When I'm not duck hunting. :thumbsup:
rupprider
hunter

Postby Duck_Happy » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:13 pm

There is a couple on the air base in manas, kyrgyzstan. Dropped off a unit patch and some other stuff into that GeoCache
Duck_Happy
hunter

Postby IdahoSkies » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:17 pm

My five girls love it. Its something we do as a family and has been a really great way to break up a long trip. If we are going on a road trip i usually get a few along the way and we stop and hit some when ever we travel more than an hour or so. Great fun.
IdahoSkies
hunter

Next

Return to Outdoor Activities