Snow Skiing / Boarding

Camping, Hiking, ATV, Snowmobiling, GeoCaching

Moderator: LaRedneck

Snow Skiing / Boarding

Postby Swamp Puppy » Thu May 19, 2005 5:35 pm

any snow junkies out there? i had grand aspirations of becoming a ski bum until i found duck hunting...then i figured, well. them decoys and ammo don't buy themselves. guess i'd better get a job.

i haven't hit the hill lately. poor winters and a recent move to oregon have taken me out of the "ski mode". i miss my 30 days a season in Tahoe.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Thu May 19, 2005 8:18 pm

I used to snowboard quite a bit, my skis broke one year and I didn't replace them with skis. I picked up my first snowboard for about 70 bucks, last two years however have left me with little cash and little time. Lift fees are incredible. Here's to next season :salude:
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Thu May 19, 2005 8:22 pm

ugh...lift ticket prices.

45 bucks a pop for a full day here..multiply that with me, wife, daughter, and son...it's close to 200 bucks just to spend the day in the snow.

pfffffft!!!! no thanks...
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Thu May 19, 2005 9:35 pm

Yeah Swamps, I hear ya. Those prices are what keep me away from the slopes. GGEEEEEEZZ......Somebody is makin some money! :eek:

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Fri May 20, 2005 4:10 pm

I got ~30 days in this year, with a few back country. Summit county has a great deal $300 for a season pass to A-Basin, Breckenridge, and Keystone. If you can get out it is worth it. I'm down to almost $10/day.

Swampy, where did you ski in Tahoe? I used to be on the patrol at Alpine Meadows.

I hear you on the hunting vs skiing. It's a hard decision to have to make. "Do I go kill ducks, or do I go ski powder?" I like making those decisions!

-Matt
harvey1b
hunter

Postby easternshorehunter » Fri May 20, 2005 9:14 pm

i love to go snowboarding. i usually go out to see some relatives in colorado that live right next to beaver creek for a week and go back east ocasionally but once you go out west, its not even fun on these bunny slopes :yes:
easternshorehunter
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:11 am

Harvey - i used ski quite a bit at Alpine in '98-'99. i really miss the french onion soup at that little mid-hill cafe. nothing special i guess...but it's funny what sticks in one's mind. I stopped going to Alpine as much when Chevrolet started providing dealership employees with free season passes to Kirkwood. for 2 seasons i got in 2 days a week at the 'Wood. I liked it there, but the back bowl always seemed to be closed and the runs on the front side were pretty limited except on the "right" days.

my favorite places..in order would be.

Alpine
Sugarbowl
Kirkwood
Heavenly (mid week only..never on a weekend)
Northstar
Sierra-at-Tahoe (crummy hill overall..but a couple of runs i really liked)

(you will notice that Squaw Valley wasn't on the list...he he.)
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:05 pm

here an oxymoron for y'all. an east coast ski bum??!?!?!

i love the powder. i used to ski/board every year and the rates around here are pretty reasonable. it's just a 3.5 - 4 hour drive to the closest slopes. that and the last few winters have been very mild so our normal blown slush isn't even available very often. i have been skiing/boarding in utah (brighton, park city, sundance, & the canyons) and it's a tremendous difference in what we have back home. i couldn't believe the powder and the vertical drops. i learned the hard way what a double black diamond was....ouch! (brighton has 1 called "the face" that caught me off guard coming off of a lift.) anyway, i spent 2 weeks on that trip in utah. it was incredible...the only problem is now it's really not worth it for me to go on the east coast. i may have to see what i can do this season if it gets cold enough...
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:40 pm

shrpshtr wrote:....it's just a 3.5 - 4 hour drive to the closest slopes.......

Man, do they have anymore openings where you work? :yes:

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby take EM' close » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:59 pm

I snowboard a lot. Though I didn't go much this year because our ski resort shut down due of finacial problems which really sucked! I hope they get it up and running again.....I guess until then I'll just stick to wakeboarding!!! :getdown:
No other site like honkers floating into you're decoys!
take EM' close
hunter

Postby frazier2209 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:09 pm

the past 3-4 years we have driven up to NC to snowboard. didn't make it this past year but hope to make it up MLK weekend of '06.
frazier2209
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:45 pm

Anybody get any good turns this year?

I moved from WY to NY. The skiing back here sucks!

Swamp,

I hear you on Squaw, or Squolly Wood as we used to call it! Sugar Bowl is the best kept secret in the Tahoe Basin, and Kirkwood is a sweet little spot but it a bit out of the way. Alpine is definately nearest and dearest to my heart.

:yes: Oh yeah, and Alpine dropped there prices to ~ $39/ day. That really pissed off Squaw!! :yes:
harvey1b
hunter

Postby AK Ducks » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:16 pm

I don'tI probally would have if it wasn't the first pair of skis I bought eneded up to be broke. ( when we went to get them waxed the guy said that they were damaged and it would'nt be safe to ski on them ) I want to get into snowboarding but I don't have that kind of money (college)
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:08 pm

No go this year for me, crappy winters.... little decent snow.
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby wingshooter2009 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:37 pm

may be headed to Snow Shoe in WV the day after Chistmas!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; Genisus 27:3

"Duck Hunting Is like a Box of Chocolates... You Never Know What You're Gonna Get!"
wingshooter2009
hunter

Return to Outdoor Activities