Camping and Outdoor Hints/Tips

Camping, Hiking, ATV, Snowmobiling, GeoCaching

Moderator: LaRedneck

Camping and Outdoor Hints/Tips

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:53 am

Post up some of your fancy ideas you have found that make your camping and outdoor adventures easier and more enjoyable.
Last edited by SCoutdoorsman on Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:53 am

When you go to the shower while campin and you prefer to use a bar of soap, just take a extra knee-hi panty hose with you and it will be just like having a soap-on-a-rope. Also make sure to take a clothes hanger and plastic bag with you to the shower, as most shower stalls have no place to hang your clothes. Just put the hanger on the shower bar and put your old clothes in the plastic bag while showering.
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby shrpshtr » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:17 am

good idea, SC.

here's one, always keep paper towels handy at the camp site by tying a piece of parachute cords between a couple of the guy out eyelets and string a roll on it. instant holder. i also use the same setup for TP in a camp toilet setup. i don't know about y'all but i go through paper towels like they are going out of style.
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby gahunter » Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:14 pm

:withstupid: SC what is the deal with the very fruity picture of the half naked oiled up men and the talk about extra panty hose. Do you have anything that you would like to come on out and tell us about? :toofunny:
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:14 pm

Hey SC I dont know where YOU go campin, but there shure aint no showers where I go camping.........

Your living room dosnt count. :salude:

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:17 pm

That pantyhose Idea is not a bad one.

I hate the looks you get when you go to the register w/soap-on-a-rope.
For that matter, even just soap, and a 20 foot piece of rope..........

Am I the only one w/ that problem? :smile:

-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:44 pm

gahunter wrote::withstupid: SC what is the deal with the very fruity picture of the half naked oiled up men and the talk about extra panty hose. Do you have anything that you would like to come on out and tell us about? :toofunny:
:toofunny: no i promise there is nothing to tell.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:47 pm

AlaskaRedneK wrote:Hey SC I dont know where YOU go campin, but there shure aint no showers where I go camping.........

Your living room dosnt count. :salude:

-Stouff

Well when the wife and kids go sometimes you got to make some accomendations for them to go :toofunny:
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:34 am

Ahahaaaa
This site is a never ending reminder not to end up like you guys--A SLAVE to the 'Ol "Ball & Chain"...... :yes:

-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:45 am

Photocopy all your travel arrangements and leave them with a friend or relative so that they can reach you at any point along your journey in case of an emergency. This is also important if someone needs to find you in case you do not show back up on time, will help greatly in the event rescuers need to try and find you.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:53 am

Tent repairs can be made with a little nail polish on small holes in your tent and ripstop repair tape will fix up any small tears you may get along the way. :thumbsup:
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:03 pm

Duct Tape is a MUST for all camping/hunting trips! :thumbsup:

No Joke, That stuff is a life saver!

Ive even made a survival shelter using it. I used it to LASH trees horizontally to standing trees to make a frame for the roof....

Point being it is as usefull as your imagination (or tackyness, in my case) :smile:

-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby gahunter » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:36 pm

:withstupid: Zip ties are great, too.
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby Snaph » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:29 pm

Wow...the things you find when you go outside the HH. A fews bails of hay
are great to put under your tent and around it. If it rains, it helps with the mud to. A kitchen sponge works great for soaping up and rinsing off in a near by creek.
Snaph
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:14 pm

I had to mention, gaffers tape also does well in place of duct tape. granted it costs about twice and even three times as much, but for repairing tarps, tents and other fabrics it seems to hold up a lil better. Plus it has a matte finish, so there is no glare. This could be a ARN moment, but I made a wallet out of it in highschool and gave it to a friend. 8 yrs later he still uses it.
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:20 pm

on cold nights the best way i have found to stoke a fire is using an electric air pump. i have 4 D cell pump that i use to blow up air matresses for the kids and that thing will really get a fire roaring. you can also use it to quickly ressurect a fire from a bed of coals in the morning.
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:31 pm

Another way to stoke a fire if you do not have of a set of bellows, is by placing your thumb and pointer finger as if you were pinching a piece of paper. Do this with both hands, and put each pointer finger and thumb against the other. This will create the shape of a diamond. Place thumbs and fingers over your mouth and blow onto the coals. This focuses the air onto a smaller area, making your breath more effective.
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby H-2-O-FOWL » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:32 am

I know there probably aren't that maney left but if have an outhouse.Put some ashes from your fire in it everyday and that will stop the smell. I also use old tent poles to make lantern holders. The lantern will give off a lot more light if it is about 5 feet from the ground.
H-2-O-FOWL
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:29 am

H20, that is a good idea!!!!! :salude:

Now, only if that will work on my huntin buddy! :mrgreen:
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:27 pm

If your camping in a really cold place, dont get a sleeping bag so hot where youll sweat in it. The sweat can actually freeze and make it worse.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby AK Ducks » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:07 pm

on cold weather. fill a water bottle with real hot water and take it to bed with you it will provide you warmth throughout the night.
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby alloutdoors » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:15 pm

For winter camping, I prefer a tarp to a tent. Leaving one end open air creates better ventilation and cuts down on frost build up.
alloutdoors
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:58 pm

Anybody got more tips or been camping lately?
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jeff_osu » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:57 am

I take a little ziploc baggy of lint with me when camping. Small, light, and compressible, it's a great fire starter.

I always take 3 or 4 contractor (55 gallon) garbage bags with me camping. They're big enough to put your pack in at night and if it starts raining you can just cut some holes for your straps and keep going. I've even made a poncho out of one when mine ripped.
jeff_osu
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:41 pm

Good ideas for sure. :thumbsup:
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Next

Return to Outdoor Activities