Mountain Bike?

Camping, Hiking, ATV, Snowmobiling, GeoCaching

Moderator: LaRedneck

Mountain Bike?

Postby Greenhead329 » Wed May 14, 2008 6:03 pm

Guys I was wanting some info on some descent mountain bikes. Im trying to get into the sport, esp since I have problems running with my back.
My dad purchased a "Vertical" bike several years ago at a police auction it was a wonderful bike however he has let it sit out and rust while I was away at college :mad: and all the gears have stripped/gone out.
I was trying to find similar bikes online but cant find the brand, was wondering if this was a bike worth buying parts and fixing or should I invest in a new one...all the parts it needs would wind up costing about the same as a new one

Any suggestions looking to spend 300 to 350 nothing greatly expensive but nothing cheap either. All my buddys have "mongoose" and have great success. Was looking at them.

I had a pacific until my dad purchased his vertical and will never have another one of those again.
Whoever says you can't buy happiness has obviously never owned a lab

?Dos Juevos???... Dos Juevos
Greenhead329
hunter

Postby youngster57 » Wed May 14, 2008 6:18 pm

My buddy just bought a Trek 820 yesterday, they have the steel frame and are solid he paid 289 before tax. They have great components and will probably last forever with basic maintance. Not to mention they can match you with the right size frame if you go to an actual shop. If you start riding hard on trails and everything you will want to get a decent bike in the beginning. A mongoose might last a while but their components are not nearly as high of quality. Its like everything buy something of quality the first time. I personally ride a Gary Fisher I got it used at a shop for 250 its done well. I am a big guy being 6'1 250 and its held up to me on rocky trails and dirt jumps I would stick to a hard tail if all possible.
The kid from the ville
youngster57
hunter

Postby duk man » Wed May 14, 2008 7:49 pm

ive worked in a bike shop for the last two years and everybody at work rides except me (probably b/c i spend all my money on huntin stuff) origin 8 makes a nice bike. diamondback, trek, and raleigh make very nice bikes. raleighs are wat i would go with. they dont cost a small fortune but their not cheap either. but if you want somethin thats REALLY nice id go with a trek. if you want some info and prices about em, shoot me a pm and ill check the catalogs and get some prices and websites.
Team Fowl to the Bone "in it for the limit"
duk man
account suspended for advertising/promo

Postby MacAttack » Thu May 15, 2008 10:42 am

I may be biased as that I have an aquaitance that works for Raleigh but they are super bikes, I would recommend them. Not a big fan of Treks, but to each his own. And the one that is my favorite and will be my next purchase would be a Specialized. For your price range, I think the hardrock would be great.
MacAttack
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Thu May 15, 2008 2:09 pm

I'm a huge Specialized fan, though I haven't been in a bike shop in quite some time....Spec. Hardrock is in your price range, and you'll get a great bike imho. Cannondale is also a close competitor...I think its the M300 or thereabouts that will be in your range.

Like a gun, get out and try them on.
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby Greenhead329 » Thu May 15, 2008 8:21 pm

Anybody heard anything about a "Vertical"?
Whoever says you can't buy happiness has obviously never owned a lab

?Dos Juevos???... Dos Juevos
Greenhead329
hunter

Postby davecz » Wed May 21, 2008 8:21 pm

Go with a mid level gary fisher, for the price you wont get a better bike
2010-2011 season totals
davecz
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Wed May 21, 2008 9:36 pm

I'm going to throw this out there because it deserves to be on record. At 11 years old I decided I was going to work in the bike business - try as I may to avoid it, I've come back on several occasions.
I don't care WHAT brand you buy but the best info anyone can take with them is this:
1. If you want a good bike, go to a REAL bike shop. This is non-negotiable unless you get a bike shop brand bike used. You don't go buy a daihatsu or off brand truck for hunting do you?
2. Get fitted, make sure the person showing you bikes takes time to get you the right size. This could arguably be number one.
3. Ride it. You'll know if it's right for you.

That's it. Just needed to make sure it's out there. Sure, I have brand allegiances, and with over 20 years in this sport I'm never wrong, but I'll spare you that.
Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Fri May 23, 2008 10:47 am

davecz wrote:Go with a mid level gary fisher, for the price you wont get a better bike

Thats what I got and love it for what i do.
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MacAttack » Wed May 28, 2008 12:47 pm

Anybody heard of Foes...I same them on Modern Marvels and looked them up, seem like a pretty awesome company. Kiskadinna what do you think of them?
MacAttack
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Wed May 28, 2008 6:51 pm

As I recall, Foes has been around for at least a little while - If memory serves they started when down-hilling became the rage. They definitely use a unique suspension design with a high/forward pivot. While it's not my personal preference for that style because here in MN we don't have major descents, I gotta give it to Foes Fab for doing a different design. The idea of greater travel equaling greater adjust-ability in suspension is smart.
The thing about bike manufacturing - especially mountain bikes - is that while there are tons of Treks, Raleighs, Specialized, Cannondales and other large manufacturers on the trail, there are a great deal of good small frame makers from companies like Independent Fabrications, Niner, Steelman, Seven, Moots, Ellsworth and more. -Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Return to Outdoor Activities