Atv recommendations

Camping, Hiking, ATV, Snowmobiling, GeoCaching

Moderator: LaRedneck

Atv recommendations

Postby mrleo25 » Thu May 22, 2008 5:59 pm

I'm in the market for an atv that i can use for play and still haul my gear out in the field. Any input would be appreciated.
mrleo25
hunter

Postby greenster » Thu May 22, 2008 8:09 pm

One word... HONDA:
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jolejnik4bmx » Thu May 22, 2008 8:13 pm

get yourself a grizzly Power and racks to haul your stuff
jolejnik4bmx
hunter

Postby asutton13 » Thu May 22, 2008 8:23 pm

Honda definitely! The Foreman is a WORKHORSE!!
asutton13
hunter

Postby 1ynggun » Thu May 22, 2008 8:23 pm

greenster wrote:One word... HONDA:

dido
1ynggun
Forum & State Moderator

Postby BuckeyeDuck » Thu May 22, 2008 8:25 pm

HONDA!!! All the way baby. Can't beat 'em. Foreman, Rancher, Rincon, you name it. If it has the Honda name on it, its well worth the investment.

BD
.....they ain't gettin' any closer!!!
FMI Field Staff - Team Strait Meat
BuckeyeDuck
hunter

Postby La. Hunter » Thu May 22, 2008 8:36 pm

Like others have said, go with HONDA!! They may not have the ground clearance or the take off speed as others, but you won't have to take them to the shop everytime you ride like my buddies with Polaris's. The only thing I have had to go out on my Hondas are the tie rod ends (My 4 wheelers get a lot of use). TO ALL HONDA OWNERS, CHECK THESE FREQUENTLY. IF THERE IS MUCH PLAY BETWEEN THE BALL AND THE TIE ROD END, REPLACE THEM. They are fairly cheap and not to difficult to change, but they could save you a long walk out of the woods or save you from a serious accident.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby gangrig25 » Thu May 22, 2008 8:43 pm

It depends on what you are planning too do with it. :huh:
gangrig25
hunter

Postby orangefoot » Thu May 22, 2008 8:43 pm

La. Hunter wrote: The only thing I have had to go out on my Hondas are the tie rod ends (My 4 wheelers get a lot of use). TO ALL HONDA OWNERS, CHECK THESE FREQUENTLY. IF THERE IS MUCH PLAY BETWEEN THE BALL AND THE TIE ROD END, REPLACE THEM. They are fairly cheap and not to difficult to change, but they could save you a long walk out of the woods or save you from a serious accident.
Thats because its a Honda.
Get you an Arctic Cat or a Can-am then you will have no worries. :thumbsup:
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby gangrig25 » Thu May 22, 2008 8:48 pm

La. Hunter wrote:Like others have said, go with HONDA!! They may not have the ground clearance or the take off speed as others, but you won't have to take them to the shop everytime you ride like my buddies with Polaris's. The only thing I have had to go out on my Hondas are the tie rod ends (My 4 wheelers get a lot of use). TO ALL HONDA OWNERS, CHECK THESE FREQUENTLY. IF THERE IS MUCH PLAY BETWEEN THE BALL AND THE TIE ROD END, REPLACE THEM. They are fairly cheap and not to difficult to change, but they could save you a long walk out of the woods or save you from a serious accident.

So I buy a Honda and go riding, first I get stuck because I have about 4 to 7 inches less ground clearance.

Then on the way home my tire rod brakes and I've to ride double.
Ya I'm going to trade my Arctic Cat in to day and get one.

you know the one that pulled you out and gave you a ride home :lol: :lol:
gangrig25
hunter

Postby gangrig25 » Thu May 22, 2008 8:56 pm

If I only had a dollar for every Honda I pulled out of the mud :biggrin:
gangrig25
hunter

Postby captainduckhead » Thu May 22, 2008 9:27 pm

greenster wrote:One word... HONDA:

:thumbsup: agreed
Mojo Mallards are gay
captainduckhead
hunter

Postby mrleo25 » Thu May 22, 2008 9:54 pm

Thanks for the replies. I was leaning towards a honda rancher or foreman. I dont need a big work horse just something to make my hunting a little easier. Those walks in muddy fields are not the greatest when carrying gear in or out.
mrleo25
hunter

Postby captainduckhead » Thu May 22, 2008 9:58 pm

I use my Honda for dragging my fat sister out of the doughnut shop.
Mojo Mallards are gay
captainduckhead
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Thu May 22, 2008 10:00 pm

Its all about personal preference man, i've riden from the swamps of GA to the mountains of AK. I've pulled out everything from ya'll presious Honda's to almighty Cats. I have a Ploaris 800 and yea i've had it in the shop but if you haven't then you haven't ridein near enough or hard enough. But I can say i've never had to walk home. I would recommend a ploaris just as much as other rigs but you need to test drive them all to find out what works for you. Independent supension or straight axle, on damand 4x4, auto, girly power steering crap, air cooled or liquid, the list goes on and on.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby QUACK3XS » Thu May 22, 2008 10:03 pm

captainduckhead wrote:I use my Honda for dragging my fat sister out of the doughnut shop.

As you can see CDH uses his for everyday chores :rofl:

I would look into getting a MAX II or MAX IV . We use one on our crew, you can't beat it 6X6 Amphibious......plus the farmer won't say a thing cause they don't leave ruts like a 4 wheeler :thumbsup:

There are some pics of F7Dreamers MAX II in the NY forum...look under "MY first band" thread ( maybe back a couple of pages)
U.S. NAVY SEABEE VETERAN
QUACK3XS
hunter

Postby La. Hunter » Thu May 22, 2008 11:25 pm

orangefoot wrote:
La. Hunter wrote: The only thing I have had to go out on my Hondas are the tie rod ends (My 4 wheelers get a lot of use). TO ALL HONDA OWNERS, CHECK THESE FREQUENTLY. IF THERE IS MUCH PLAY BETWEEN THE BALL AND THE TIE ROD END, REPLACE THEM. They are fairly cheap and not to difficult to change, but they could save you a long walk out of the woods or save you from a serious accident.
Thats because its a Honda.
Get you an Arctic Cat or a Can-am then you will have no worries. :thumbsup:

The few Arctic Cats that I have been around just feel like junk. I am impressed with a Can-am, but haven't seen enough of them to be convinced yet. As far as my Honda goes, I rarely get it stuck and have never had to walk home. The times that I have been stuck, others including Can-ams and Polaris's get stuck in the same spot.

I only wanted to point out that the tie rod ends can go out. I own two hondas with over 10,000 miles on one and only had the tie rod end go out on it once. This is also the only thing, besides tires and spark plugs that I have had to replace. When it did go out, I was able to use a bungee cord to get me back to the house. Now I check them every so often and replace them if needed.

As far as riding hard, I don't baby my 4-wheelers. I use my four wheeler to work around my hunting property and for fun. I do not take care of them like I should. Very seldom do I clean the mud out from under it due to the fact that I will probably be on it the next day and don't want to spend that much time washing it. Every now and then I will clean them up so that I can change the oil and check for anything that is possibly worn out. So far, the only thing I have found is the tie rod ends. Oh, I forgot that I did have to replace the rear bearing once on my 02 model rancher.

Out of all the 4 wheeler that my friends have, the Hondas always seem to have little or no problems compared to the others. Also I would like to point out that the Yamaha Grizzlys seem to hold up as well, but they don't have near the miles on them as mine do.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby MstWntd » Fri May 23, 2008 1:35 am

Polaris Sportsman 700 Twin. A little rough starting when it's cold cold, but it's a beast as a workhorse. Also good for playin around on the property.
MstWntd
hunter

Postby jolejnik4bmx » Fri May 23, 2008 6:00 am

YaMahA Grizzly
jolejnik4bmx
hunter

Postby Dolsmi » Fri May 23, 2008 6:08 am

I Have an Arctic Cat 500 and have never had a problem.
Dolsmi
hunter

Postby DoubleBayou » Fri May 23, 2008 7:01 am

All we buy is 'Cat's now days.

Got a couple Honda Ranchers still around - 1994 models and going strong. But yes we've had axle's and gear boxes replaced.

We were on Polaris' before the 'Cat's and won't go back.

Definitely have ground clearance and plenty of power/features.
DoubleBayou
State Moderator

Postby Labhuntr » Fri May 23, 2008 7:50 am

Sportsman 500 HO here and no problems so far :thumbsup:
If I'm burning powder, the ducks are falling!
Labhuntr
hunter

Postby txbirdhunter » Fri May 23, 2008 10:27 am

Have the new rancher 420 FI while everyone else is still waiting for there 4 wheeler to warm up im sitting in the blind drinking coffee
txbirdhunter
hunter

Postby yamaha783 » Fri May 23, 2008 11:19 am

Get whatever you want, as long as it says Honda on the side. I have a '07 Foreman, manual shift. Love it, helluva workhorse but I mainly play with it. The Rancher is very nice as well but the frame was too small for me. Some buddies have a few Yamaha's and they seem to do ok as well, though the fit and finish, amenities don't seem to be on par with Honda. Just compare guages, handlebards, grips, etc. on equivalent models and it'll be very apparent. The dealer I bought my Honda from also has Yamaha, in fact mostly Yamaha, so I had plenty to compare to side by side.

And not to be ignorant, i'll acknowledge the one achilles heal of the Foreman and a lot of honda's.......lack of ground clearance. Larger tires help but just an inch or two. If you can do without the increased ground clearance of IRS, you can't beat these bikes.
yamaha783
hunter

Postby El Pato » Wed May 28, 2008 8:44 am

I have the Honda Fourtrax from '96 and it's a great machine.I rode the new Honda the other day 500cc w power steering and electric shift,what a nice rig
El Pato
hunter

Next

Return to Outdoor Activities