Treasure

Camping, Hiking, ATV, Snowmobiling, GeoCaching

Moderator: LaRedneck

Treasure

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:26 pm

Who doesn't like a good story about buried treasure?
Better yet, who doesn't like a good story about buried treasure that comes complete with the X?

Now, before I take you on this little expedition, I can tell you these tales of treasure are many decades in the making.
Indeed one can be said to have had it's beginning in a High School history class in 1963.

In that particular classroom there was a very large world Atlas, there was also a rather boring teacher.
As Mr. teacher droned on, I often was drawn to the map on the wall, and as so many before must have come to the same realization that the Continents of South America, and Africa had 'almost' matching coastlines.
It was one of those moments you never forget, for I forgot what was going on at the moment, raised my hand to pose a question totally off his lesson.
I asked about the coastlines, and in a most perturbed manner was told it was a coincidence, but not to be put off, was pointing out that such a long match could not be a coincidence, was then interrupted by the Principle who stepped into the room to announce that the President had just been shot in Dallas.
In those days, I do not believe that continental drift was a much discussed or accepted theory in college, much less in High School, but the seed had been planted.
Less than ten years later, I found myself cabin bound in Alaska during one of their long, dark Winters, and the subject began to roll about in my minds eye once again.
I had at my disposal a huge library of National Geographics, and found two maps of the same scale, and began to wile away the time looking at them. At first I did see there was a difference in coastlines, but of insignificant amounts, then I noticed the edges of the Continental plates.... Eureka!
I ended up cutting along the edge of the South American plate with a pen knife.
Yes! I had been right those years earlier. But then came the dawn!
In browsing thru the different issues of the Geo's I came across the story of diamond mining on the beaches of Namibia, and bucketline dredging operations all the way to the very edge of the Continental Shelf.
Bingo!
The other half of that Diamond field, one of, if not the richest field on earth has a considerable part laying on the South American side.
Dreams of immediately selling all I had to rush down and stake my claims came smack up against the certainty that the boys at DeBeers were already greasing the palms of government officials in South American countries involved.
Noising about on location was more likely to gain me a bit of lead before the first diamond ever came to the light of day.
Still, I am quite certain the field does extend to the South American side. Perhaps a discrete letter to DeBeers asking if the locals know this fact yet?
The prospect of a drive-by shooting still looms large.

So on to treasure #2
The Kenai peninsula just to the South and East of Anchorage Alaska is made up of one third flat ground on it's Western side bordering Cook Inlet, and that ground is made up of two huge seams of coal separated by a large but not terribly thick layer of soil.
I believe a person with the right skill sets could locate ancient meteor strikes into those layers of coal to discover industrial diamond deposits. They may, or may not exist in commercial values.

Treasure #3,
I am convinced this is still the most likely, most easily mined treasure trove of coarse gold, if circumstances were to allow?
Several years ago I personally made a foray into the waters of the Klamath river in Northern California.
Having joined The New 49ers club, I went to do a test run of my theory just North of Happy Camp.
This is the theory.
Some of you may be aware of the geology existing in many of the gold bearing streams of the Western United States.
In many cases in the 'West Slope Sierra' streams of California there reside enormous, gigantic boulders of hundreds of tons that no amount of water in those drainage's have moved for thousands of years.
They have sat in place trapping storm washed gold deposits beneath them for all that long time.
The original gold miners in the 19th century had no equipment they could use or transport to those streams by which they could hope to move those stones.
I developed the equipment to do so.
A series of circumstances prevented myself and another of accessing those deposits even though the hand equipment I engineered could easily have moved stones up to 160+ tons.
First, California had decided to ban suction dredging of motorized dredges. Politics not based on facts.
Thus any gold below water level, even inches, was basically unrecoverable.
That year saw an exceptional run-off coming down the Klamath river forcing us to work very high up the banks, out of "The Line of Gold" travel lower down the channel sides.
What I had developed moved the first test boulder of about ten tons, then a stone of about 25 tons, and finally a stone of approximately 50 tons. When moved, both the 25 ton boulder, and the 50 ton boulder saw their bases in water. We tried shovels, but the water washed away most material before we could lift it free.
I then left to come back to Idaho until the run-off should subside.
Then came the stroke.
Tho I felt I could return to light duty on the project after several months, I came face to face with a truly unmovable object.
The wife, fists on hips, tapping her right foot on the ground, announced that if I should return to California against her wishes, "You and your Christmas tree will be spending the Holidays trimmed with 'Blue Balls'".
I guess a guy should admit when he's beaten!

The ten ton test boulder

These two boulders (Mike. Friend on 25 ton boulder)
The 25 ton boulder was next. Then the 50 ton boulder behind his right shoulder. Both were easily moved, but water table too high then.

And now for a treatise on the final theory. I have not as yet done any work on this beyond contemplation.
Fine gold recovery.
Gold so fine it is difficult, if generally not possible to see with the naked eye.
Many gold bearing steams in the world can have sizable deposits of coarse gold, but most of those as well as many, many others have huge amounts of ultra fine values distributed throughout the common stream bed materials.
These values are difficult to recover in most gold recovery systems, because 'Black Sands', the next heaviest material likely to be found in the general run of materials quickly clogs the riffles in sluice boxes, and the volume and speed of water necessary to keep the riffles clear of that sand so ultra fines can settle behind the riffles are too strong to allow the fines to settle. Less pressure/flow of water sees the black sands clog riffles and the ultra fines simply ride across the tops of black sands and drop off the end of the sluice box.

Now!
If the Black sands can be eliminated from the sluice box at a much reduced flow/volume of water, the ultra fines can be recovered behind the riffles where they can fall out of the flow of water!
Black sands are magnetic. Gold is not!

Here is the question.
Can a strong magnet be lowered at a measured distance above a sample of black sands that will begin to lower their weight a given amount (until the magnet grabs the sand)thus allowing a lower water force to put the sands in motion down the sluice, or will there be no affect upon the sands until the instant the magnet grabs them, thus clogging the magnet itself until the material extends back to the bottom of the sluice rendering it useless?

I have the magnet. I need a digital letter scale (Should do the job), and to rig a a way to lower it slowly for the test.
Very cheap exercise to find out.

The Snake river across the street from the house carries huge amounts of ultra fine values, particles just like
Talcum powder. Spring will tell the tale I think.

This is a treasure with many Xs if it pans out?
So the words Fall and Autumn are not to be capitalized?
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Return to Outdoor Activities