Shot trap for the first time the other night

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

Shot trap for the first time the other night

Postby Yeller Dawg » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:56 pm

Didn't bust 25, but had a blast! I've shot sporting clays before, but never trap. I can see regular visits to the trap range in my future. :thumbsup: Shot my ol' 11-87 SP with an IC choke, 1 1/8th oz. of #8s. Did OK for what I consider my worst shot (rising, going away birds). Just wanted to share, but any thoughts or advice are welcome.
"Still in waders, with the string of ducks across his shoulders, he stood hesitating on the sidewalk in the cold November wind...Today, all day, he had been alive; now he was back ready to be dead again."
—Wallace Stegner
Yeller Dawg
hunter

Re: Shot trap for the first time the other night

Postby 12ganooby » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:25 pm

Here's a good read. I take a look now and then to learn more.
http://www.remington.com/pdfs/trap_fund ... s_2004.pdf
fall on your knees in the muck guy
12ganooby
hunter

Postby atwoodflash » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:42 am

You may want to try a Modified choke. There are different opinions about this, but a lot of people use the Mod at the 16 yard line some prefer tighter. My opinion is the IC will handicapp you a bit.
atwoodflash
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:58 pm

atwoodflash wrote:You may want to try a Modified choke. There are different opinions about this, but a lot of people use the Mod at the 16 yard line some prefer tighter. My opinion is the IC will handicapp you a bit.

x2. That little bit of constriction is the difference between a few birds for me.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:49 pm

I personally use a IM or full choke on trap. I do not shoot trap more than 6 or 8 times a year so I am not breaking 25 every time (average is 22-23) but it is a lot of fun. The only reason I do not shoot trap more is most of my time is spent on the sporting clays range. I would shoot skeet but I just SUCK at it :yes: . I suppose If I bought a skeet or IC choke for the 1187 and actually tried it more than a couple times a year I could figure it out.

Glad to hear you liked trap, try some trap doubles sometime, that is a blast too.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Yeller Dawg » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:29 pm

Thanks fellas. This is the first time I've shot since last duck season, so was afraid to shoot anything tighter than IC. :biggrin: I wasn't "crush'in um" if you know what I mean.

This club is close, friendly and convenient so I'm hoping to make this a weekly thing. I will probably try a mod the next time or two I go out. I'd like to try skeet, but don't have a local place. Our local sporting clays range is a bring your group of 4 or more with you kind of club and it hard to get folks together.
"Still in waders, with the string of ducks across his shoulders, he stood hesitating on the sidewalk in the cold November wind...Today, all day, he had been alive; now he was back ready to be dead again."
—Wallace Stegner
Yeller Dawg
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:48 am

Thats awesome. Its always great finding a good place to brush up on some shooting skills.

I got some friends out to the trap range yesterday. A couple were first time shooters, never shot a gun period. My wife and I took a young married couple and met up with another friend. My wife and the other wife shot just over 50%, which isn't bad for my wife and is excellent for a young lady that has never touched a shotgun. The other husband didn't start well, but after a few pointers, he got the hang of it towards the end. Nothing like taking people that haven't shot before and giving them a positive introduction to the sport. It was amazing how the other guys at the range immediately stepped in to help coach them when I was shooting. I don't know if they'll ever be bird hunters, but I think they are at least now fans of sport shooting.

I personally shot 19/25, which isn't bad since I haven't touched my shotgun since January and its been over a year since I visited the trap range.

When shooting from the 16 yd line I use an IC choke, but my IC choke patterns pretty tight out of my SBEII. I also have a tendency to shoot the birds right out of the trap house before they begin to fall as I don't like them to get that far out. I also normally shoot 1 1/8oz 7 1/2 or 8 shot.

I prefer shooting skeet, as I don't shoot many flushing birds in a season, but I find trap is easier for beginners.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Return to Target Shooting