Pellet Gun?

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

Pellet Gun?

Postby Weedwacker » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:06 am

OK, I have the same pellet gun my dad and I bought me as a 10 year old and I need something more updated. 40 years ago it was the bomb, but it is loud, am sure lost power.

Not wanting to spend $$$$$, but dont want the cheapest thing out there either.

I will use the gun for plinking and some yard varmits that are driving my two shorthairs crazy......

When I looked in my &*&^%%**(( catalog, it is overwhelming the types,brands, options,etc.

Could anyone recommend or steer me in the right direction?

Much appreciated.
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Re: Pellet Gun?

Postby sbretting60 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:39 pm

The Gamo air rifles are pretty nice. The one we have shoots 1200 fps with the PBA ammo. Its just like shooting a .22 both in recoil and sound. The kits come with a scope for around $189.
sbretting60
hunter

Postby side-slippin » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:19 am

i have heard nothing but good things about Gamo, execpt for the shotgun they manufacture
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:27 am

Thanks, can you share the model you have that cost $189?

Most I am looking at are more close to $300., that is what I am looking for,
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby sbretting60 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:25 pm

There are a couple on Cabelas website. The Hunter Sport is $198 and is similar to the one we have except it is a wood stock. I'm not sure what the model is I will look in the gun case next time I am home from school. The only problem we had was with the scope. When we tried sighting it in whenever we moved windage adjustment it would rotate the crosshairs so they weren't square to the rest of the scope. We threw on an old .22 scope we had laying around and it shoots great.
sbretting60
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:28 pm

I just picked up a Gamo Big Cat 1200 from BPS for $160. It shoots 100fps with lead and 1200 with PBA. We shot 21 squirrels in 3 days out of the wallnut tree with only 2 requiring a second shot, and this was with lead ammo. The guy at BPS said it would sound like a .22, but i figured he was full of it. Turns out he was. If i had to compare the sound to anything, it would be an electric staple gun (not loud at all). Nothing that would alert the neighbors of scare the other squirrels. Best part was it was a break barrel so follow up shots are easy, and it doesnt sound like your pumping an old pellet gun 20 times.

The only thing i dont like about it is the trigger pull. Its real long and quite heavy, but you get used to it. I'd definitely buy it again
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:54 pm

I have a Crossman Quest which is the same as and probably made by Gamo. it is the 1000fps version and it was $89 at Meijer on sale. regular price is $99. It looks to be the same gun as the Remington, Ruger and Winchester too. The only difference I can see is the stocks are a bit different. I have been eliminating coons and tree rats for about 5 years with it out to about 40 yds just fine. It is Minute of rat accurate with standard pellets and works fine for rabbits too.

I shoot mine with open sites as the scope was not all that accurate that came with it and being a break barrel and having the scope mounted on the receiver might have had something to do with the lack of accuracy.

I did some penetration testing with lead and PBA ammo. the PBA in wet phone books did not penetrate as far as the standard lead pellets did. so I stick with flat lead and pointed lead pellets.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby sbretting60 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:22 am

What brand of lead pellets do you use? I tried using lead but the tolerances were too wide so some pellets would fit fine in and then others wouldn't fit tight enough so it wouldn't be as accurate. It wasn't every pellet but enough that I quit using them and just stayed with the PBA ammo.
sbretting60
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:10 am

Here is what I use and they are accurate enough for taking squirrels at 40 yds pretty easily. I have also taken a few coon at 40 plus yds with head shots. body shots on coon usually slows them doen enough to hit them a couple more times to finish the job.

the green ones are Skenco and are real fast and the insert is steel I believe so the penetrate great. the Daisy brand work great too, the other ones with the copper bb in the center are accurate but no better than the all lead pellets IMO.

9-06-09 008.JPG

9-06-09 007.JPG

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NickK » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:42 pm

Look at Hatson airguns. They are awesome. I have one, and it drops bunnys, crows, squirrels, and more up to 80 yards.
Nick
Love to duck hunt :)
NickK
hunter

Postby keith96 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:31 pm

i shoot a crossman storm xt with a 30 doller center point scope the gun with the scope runs around 120 $ but also for 20$ more i got a beman dual cal with the scope the run 130-150 depending were you get them they come with a scope a .177 pellet barel and .22 cal pellet baril with the gun i sugest you buy good good pellets. like crossman hollow point or pba raphters.
(-true waterfowling-)
keith96
hunter

Postby doehunter » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:37 pm

Check out Straight Shooters on line. They have air guns ranging from cheap to state of the art. As with anything else you get what you pay for.
I squirrel hunt with em and went through a long expensive learning curve. Beginning with Benjamins at $120.00 then Diana , and finally a pre-charged pneumatic by Air Arms. Gamo's are crap.
Be leary of their velocity claims. I shot all of mine over a chronograph and I can tell you all the cheaper ones are slower than they claim.
.177 cal air guns have the highest velocities, but lack energy. (ft.lbs.) The velocity bleeds off fast.
.20 cal or 5mm has very good ballistic coefficients, good for long range but the selection is small.
.22 is the most common with hunters of small game. The heavier round nose pellets seem to perform the best.
.25 packs a lot of energy but generally is something you have to order on line.
Spring guns accuracy is affected by recoil, so they are hold sensitive. Also, when using a scope with the more powerful ones you have to use a scope designed for airguns because of the double recoil generated by the spring and piston.
The pre charged pneumatics are the cats meow (IMHO!). There is no recoil. You can use any scope you want. Veerrryyy accurate.
My Air Arms model S410E, is bolt action with a 10 shot rotary clip. Has a "moderator" in the barrel. Sort of a muffler. It is VERY QUIET. When you listen to it shoot it will make you think it doesn't have any power. Well it shoots a 14grn pellet at just over 1000 fps. and 16grn. pellets in the high 900's. Roughly 32 ft.lbs. of energy.
A squirrel hunters dream! Draw back is cost. You pay for all that performance.
Jim
doehunter
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:19 pm

crossman quest 1000, 1000fps and its around $100 i think, and the best pellets ive used are gammo "hunters" with a round top killer on anything! ive killed rabbits, squrriels, birds, and zipped a few stray dogs and cats
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Double Shorthair » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:15 pm

I have a gamo and never had a problem with it. On the other hand I had a crosman that sucked for me. It didnt zero in,shoot accurately and the stock was banged up completely. My gamo has a synthetic stock,4x32 scope and I can shoot gamo red fire pellets in a circle in the size of a dime at 30yds. Its a break barrel and is 1000 fps with lead and 1250 with alloy. I only shoot ballistic tips out of it because it hits harder and flys better. Thats my reccomendation to you.
Double Shorthair
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:54 pm

Saw a NEW Beretta .17 air pistol that shoots a clip with 8 pellets on one side, and eight pellets on the other side for a total of 16 shots and uses a air tube in the butt to shot them.

Price at $100 per the guns and ammo tv show........................

might be a great way for some cheap pistol practice.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:03 am

2500hdon37s wrote:crossman quest 1000, 1000fps and its around $100 i think, and the best pellets ive used are gammo "hunters" with a round top killer on anything! ive killed rabbits, squrriels, birds, and zipped a few stray dogs and cats

Same one I have, It is an exact copy of a Gamo and probably made by them just like several others with name brands on them. shoots great and for the 5 years I have had it it has never had one issue at all. So far it has acounted for about 80 tree rats several raccoons a couple of woodchucks and rabbits. On the bigger critters If it is not a head shot it requires a second shot to finish them off. IMO the $89 I paid was a good investment on a nice air rifle. It is advertised as 1000fps with lead and I get about 980fps thru the chrono with standard pellets. I just shoot Agulia Super Colibri in my henry lever when I need more power for the coons and chucks now.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ColoradoGooser » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:33 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:crossman quest 1000, 1000fps and its around $100 i think, and the best pellets ive used are gammo "hunters" with a round top killer on anything! ive killed rabbits, squrriels, birds, and zipped a few stray dogs and cats

I have taken a ton of tree rats,and other vermin with my Quest 1000,mines seems to digest the PBA pellets best.
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Return to Target Shooting