Mounting the gun after yelling pull?

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

Mounting the gun after yelling pull?

Postby FastPine » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:06 pm

I only shoot skeet to get better at shooting ducks..Would it be beneficial/better match a hunting situation to mount the gun after the clay has already left the tower?.....I tried it, and it was ALOT harder to hit the clays as versus having the gun already mounted...
Blasting holes in the night till she bled sunshine..
FastPine
hunter

Re: Mounting the gun after yelling pull?

Postby Suncutter » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:28 pm

In my opinion no it wouldnt but I am talking about myself only you can decide if it helps you. Try it both ways and see what you think helps you out more.
870 wrote::welcome: to the site NYducks55
Around here you'd get a warmer answer by asking to have sex with our daughters. :
Suncutter
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:46 pm

I don’t even yell pull, let alone mount the gun first. I let the target surprise me. This stems from all the upland hunting I did before I got into waterfowl. I didn’t hunt with a dog so every flush was normally a complete surprise, and I wanted my practice to mimic this to the extent that it could. When shooting waterfowl, I get a bit more warning and time to properly mount my gun, but I never got out of the routine of holding the gun at a relaxed position while waiting for the clay bird.
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby jo mcrow » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:11 pm

Low gun will really help your waterfowl shooting!!!
Jo Mcrow
jo mcrow
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:57 am

DITTO! Gun low practice emulates hunting situations and is a good thing to do as it helps one develop a smooth and consistent gun mount. As long as the mount results in proper placement of the gun into one's shoulder and up against the face on a consistent basis you will have the most important fundamental mastered.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby kjm1022 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:36 pm

I shot skeet before i ever duck hunted. I would mount the gun, call for the clay, use a sustained lead method and shoot. It worked great for skeet and I shot well, It was horrible for duck hunting! When I started to duck hunt, I had a hard time hitting anything becuase I was use to pre mounting the gun and gauging my lead. It took about 1 season of duck hunting and no skeet shooting to get use to low-gun shooting. Now, I only shoot low-gun for skeet using it for practice for duck season. I rarely pre-mount the gun now as I'm use to low gun and it's made me a better shooter all around. :thumbsup:
kjm1022
hunter

Postby FastPine » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:50 pm

great advise guys. I will yell pull, then mount the gun...
Blasting holes in the night till she bled sunshine..
FastPine
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:12 am

A low mount has to be use in "Official" skeet shots but at most clubs a low or pre-mount can be used,depending on the shooters likes.
One of the main problems of shooters is looking at the front bead...................instead of the clay bird , when mounting their gun!!
One does not have to rush the low mount, look at good shooters and you will see a smooth movement and swing to the front of the bird or into the center of the distance between the house and the center steak, to track the bird and then fire.

Good shooters that shoot a lot of skeet will have their guns placed "OFF" the house, instead of on the "Wood" , not to cover up or block their vision of the bird,as it first comes out of the house, to see the angle of flight. True, some old timers know where the birds flight will be and the line of flight after 1,000's of birds, but if they miss, it is usually a bad mount or cheek placement or preasure that cost them the bird.

Good shooting.........
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:08 am

FastPine wrote:great advise guys. I will yell pull, then mount the gun...

If you want some real practice, yell "PULL", throw your coffee on the ground, grab you gun and lob some shot at the fleeing target! :lol3:
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:49 pm

RustyGunz1960 wrote:If you want some real practice, yell "PULL", throw your coffee on the ground, grab you gun and lob some shot at the fleeing target! :lol3:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

For me it would have to be tuck it in and zip :yes: Never fails, Quiet day and a full bladder, step out of the blind and let it flow and here come the birds :lol3:

The low mount is of course better practice than premounting the gun. I still shoot sporting clays 90% of the time shouldered and ready :huh: Just because........
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby apexhunter » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:48 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:For me it would have to be tuck it in and zip :yes: Never fails, Quiet day and a full bladder, step out of the blind and let it flow and here come the birds

Amen Brother! That is the #1golden rule of duck hunting (no pun intended).
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:33 am

Nothing worse than ducks going by as you empty ........."Your Gun". :biggrin:

Well, there is one, but I an not going there !! :lol:
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:28 pm

I don't mean to be contrary here... But I have a completely different opinion on low gun at the range.

Bear with me as I explain why...

People shoot targets to learn how to shoot well and with practice can learn to shoot very well... AT TARGETS.

I've watched guys shoot low gun at the range and my observation for the most part is that low gun shooters get better at bringing their gun up - but that doesn't necessarily correlate to better scores. Candidly if someone needs to practice bringing up the gun to the shoulder they should do that at home.

I don't do a full premount, but do have the gun just off my face and shoulder so I can see the clay then lift the gun to face, pull it back the shoulder and pull the trigger. Why? Because the goal is to make contact with the target - not fart around with body mechanics.

Learning lead and more importantly sight picture is probably more critical than anything else other than basic fundamentals.

If you know where to insert the gun in regards to a target or bird's path - you'll be a better shot. Seriously, that's hard enough to learn without hindering the improvement of your shooting because you think lifting the gun should be part of the program.

You are going to lift the gun no matter what... It's more important to know what to do when it's at your cheek than anything else.

Everyone has an opinion... That's mine. :smile:
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby jo mcrow » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:36 pm

Low gun method is the only way you will become better at wing shooting fowl.

Jo Mcrow
jo mcrow
hunter

Postby kjm1022 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:07 am

jo mcrow wrote:Low gun method is the only way you will become better at wing shooting fowl.

Jo Mcrow

Totally agree with this ^^^^^^^^ :thumbsup:
kjm1022
hunter

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:35 pm

slowshooter wrote:I don't mean to be contrary here... But I have a completely different opinion on low gun at the range.

Bear with me as I explain why...

People shoot targets to learn how to shoot well and with practice can learn to shoot very well... AT TARGETS.

I've watched guys shoot low gun at the range and my observation for the most part is that low gun shooters get better at bringing their gun up - but that doesn't necessarily correlate to better scores. Candidly if someone needs to practice bringing up the gun to the shoulder they should do that at home.

I don't do a full premount, but do have the gun just off my face and shoulder so I can see the clay then lift the gun to face, pull it back the shoulder and pull the trigger. Why? Because the goal is to make contact with the target - not fart around with body mechanics.

Learning lead and more importantly sight picture is probably more critical than anything else other than basic fundamentals.

If you know where to insert the gun in regards to a target or bird's path - you'll be a better shot. Seriously, that's hard enough to learn without hindering the improvement of your shooting because you think lifting the gun should be part of the program.

You are going to lift the gun no matter what... It's more important to know what to do when it's at your cheek than anything else.

Everyone has an opinion... That's mine. :smile:

I agree with you 100%.
If you want to be super authentic with your practice, go lay flat on your back at the center stake and call for the bird. I will guarantee you less than 1% of the birds I've ever killed were done so standing on a tidy little pad of concrete...I mean since shooting from a premounted gun is to be considered worthless.

The object is to burn shells on targets, you can practice gun mount in the basement/garage at will.
assateague wrote:Wives are all against super cool, awesome ideas. If Columbus had been married, we'd all still be European.

WisconsinWaterfowler wrote: You just have to use the back of your throat and hum. That's how I would describe it anyways.
DeadEye_Dan
hunter

Postby fgdn » Sun May 08, 2011 1:44 pm

kjm1022 wrote:
jo mcrow wrote:Low gun method is the only way you will become better at wing shooting fowl.

Jo Mcrow

Totally agree with this ^^^^^^^^ :thumbsup:

x'2 or 3

raising the gun every time works certain muscles, muscle memory. after developing the right muscles hitting the target becomes second nature. and yes it can be done at home in your living room, but it is not the same.
sure having the gun on your shoulder is good for learning to swing and shoot. but i have never ever been in a duck blind and or walking across a corn field and seen anyone setting or walking with gun mounted.
just not natural man, practice like your going to shoot.
fgdn
hunter

Postby TomKat » Mon May 09, 2011 6:40 am

Proper motion is essential. You push the gun out, then pull it in to your shoulder, all in one fluid motion...
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby tenfingergrip » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:21 am

TomKat wrote:Proper motion is essential. You push the gun out, then pull it in to your shoulder, all in one fluid motion...

Probably just symantics, Tom.... I teach pushing the gun out & up, then leaning into the gun with the shoulder, all in one fluid motion.....works well for the students. Gives them a visual in the head of transferring/moving the weight to the front foot.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby vertical_edge_800 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:33 pm

Bear with me as I compete in just about every local skeet competition I can get into locally, and I take shooting skeet a little differently than some of the replies posted here..

EDIT: if you see **** ****, it means w i n g s h o o t e r it bleeps it out for some stupid reason.

I shoot 3,000+ rounds a month on the skeet field shooting American skeet (gun pre-mounted). I also do a LOT of waterfowl hunting and I do not think that shooting a low gun on skeet of all things makes you a better duck hunter, and here's why..
1) I usually see the bird coming, sometimes for quite a while.
2) Skeet is a game, and I don't think it will make you a better shot on shooting waterfowl because the targets always come out of the same spot, at the same speed, when you call for them.
3) Sporting clays would be the best "bang for your buck" if your seriously practicing to be a better **** ****.
4) Practicing your gun mount standing up in a small box, without the same gear your hunting with is pointless because something tells me that your not standing in the station like you would when your hunting. Most of us sit in a blind on a stool, or chair of some sorts, and if were not doing that we are in a layout blind or otherwise laying on the ground somehow. Also, it's unlikely that your at the skeet range with waders on, a fluffy cold weather jacket, calls dangling around your neck, gloves on, ect...

A good shooter can "switch" different situations on and off, meaning that you arent a one show pony. That means when you step onto the skeet field, you have your game face on, see the targets clearly and practice the fundamentals of SKEET. When you step into the hoop at a sporting clays station, put your sporting clays game face on... because they are two totally different games.. when you step into the marsh, put your wing shooting face on.
If you want to practice being a better **** **** then shooting sporting clays is the only place where you will get a variety of targets at different speeds, different angles, and different sizes. Practice sitting down with your gun next to you when you call for a target vs a low gun.

Sorry I started rambling there for a while... take it for what its worth, if you think shooting skeet makes you a better duck hunter somehow, then more power to you... The skeet shooting probably isn't what is actually helping you, its the mental confidence that you gain that is helping you instead.
2nd Battalion, 1st Marines "The Professionals"
vertical_edge_800
hunter

Postby xtrema2shooter » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:26 pm

Sagebrush wrote:A low mount has to be use in "Official" skeet shots

This is an old post, but I have to respond, as this is 100% incorrect.

NSSA (or "American") skeet is by far the most dominant in North America. It not only DOESN'T require low gun mount, almost no one does it. I've been competing in NSSA skeet for over 20 years, and I could count on one hand the number of people I've seen competing while starting from the low gun mount.

International (or "Olympic") skeet does require starting from the low mount... very low mount. The toe of the gun can be no higher than the crest of the hipbone. There are very few international skeet fields in the US, and few skeet shooters-- even serious ones-- have ever seen an international field. It's just that uncommon.
xtrema2shooter
hunter

Postby Woodyard » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:48 pm

xtrema2shooter wrote:

NSSA (or "American") skeet is by far the most dominant in North America. It not only DOESN'T require low gun mount, almost no one does it.

Exactly. American skeet was originally developed as practice for upland bird hunting and was shot with a low gun start. A lot of the old skeet trophies in the case at my gun club show the little man with the shotgun calling for the bird with the gun butt at his hip. The change to a premounted gun occurred decades ago. A lot of pre-WWII skeet doubles were choked skeet 1 and skeet 2 or "skeet in" and "skeet out." The skeet 2 barrel was actually light modified or about .015" constriction in the 12 gauge. I shoot registered trap and practice skeet, the latter sometimes from the low gun start. I actually think skeet is pretty good practice for duck hunting since it involves a lot of incomers and crossers. If I shot ducks lying on my back, I would require a snorkel to breathe.
2011-12:
Mourning doves 49
Buck antelope 1
Buck mule deer 1
Mallards 97
Wood ducks 3
Greenwing teal 24
Bluewing teal 2
Ring necks 8
Pintails 3
Wigeon 1
Gadwalls 1
Shovelers 2
Redheads 1
Canvasbacks 1
Bands 2
Woodyard
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:09 pm

Low mount, with safety on. That's what I was taught anyway. Then you learn by repeating and repeating and checking to see if safety is on. It's a good habit to start early.

Very poor form to start out with your shotgun up to your shoulder and with safety off.

He's asking about how to get better at shooting ducks. How long can you stand with shotgun mounted to your shoulder? It might be a while, and if you use a duck call you're going to need to set the gun down or hold it at your hip...right?
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:46 am

aunt betty wrote:Low mount, with safety on. That's what I was taught anyway. Then you learn by repeating and repeating and checking to see if safety is on. It's a good habit to start early.

Very poor form to start out with your shotgun up to your shoulder and with safety off.

He's asking about how to get better at shooting ducks. How long can you stand with shotgun mounted to your shoulder? It might be a while, and if you use a duck call you're going to need to set the gun down or hold it at your hip...right?

:thumbsup: Can not remember the last time I stood in the blind with the gun mounted and then called the duck :yes:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Target Shooting