trap scores

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

trap scores

Postby swampchicken » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:02 pm

what is a good trap score for the 16yd line?
swampchicken
hunter

Re: trap scores

Postby apexhunter » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:06 am

25 is perfect so a 23 or higher score is typically considered "very good" with a 20-22 being "good".
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:34 am

All you can break at your ability level. It should improve from there with practice.
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby swampchicken » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:03 am

I guess shooting a 23 then a 25 isnt to bad for my first time at a trap range all i had done before that is shoot alot of birds and a few clays we had thrown around.
swampchicken
hunter

Postby Suncutter » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:27 am

swampchicken wrote:I guess shooting a 23 then a 25 isnt to bad for my first time at a trap range all i had done before that is shoot alot of birds and a few clays we had thrown around.

Keep shooting you got lucky for your first outing.
870 wrote::welcome: to the site NYducks55
Around here you'd get a warmer answer by asking to have sex with our daughters. :
Suncutter
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:49 pm

i shoot every tuesday night (with FFA) and 3 weeks ago i shot 13, today i shot 18. defintly get better with practice!

BTW saw your in central MO where do you shoot at? i shoot at praie grove
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby swampchicken » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:24 pm

guess i aint too lucky next scores were 24 25 25 23
I shoot at sedalia
swampchicken
hunter

Postby Suncutter » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:41 pm

Well then my friend your one of a very few that can start out shooting great scores right from the get go. Most people can not shoot that good right from the get go and stay with those good scores.
870 wrote::welcome: to the site NYducks55
Around here you'd get a warmer answer by asking to have sex with our daughters. :
Suncutter
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:05 pm

Now you should do like most good trap shooters. Start adjusting your gun until you are shooting 13's and 18's, then listen to all the good advice at the club from anyone that will give it, and get to breaking 10's and 12's, get mad at the sport and quit.
Pard you sound like a good fundamental shooter, JUST KEEP DOING WHAT YOU ARE DOING, and enjoy the sport.
Head Down and Keep Swinging
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby swampchicken » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:50 pm

Thanks shooting those scores did make me feel good about myself. I shoot alot just not any trap or anything like that just birds. it was kinda fun though
swampchicken
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:58 pm

With scores like that you might think about joining the ATA and get a card.

You can make money if you put down some bucks on the matches and specialty odds, like first 50 or 100
or total birds in your class or even over all.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby charlie beard » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:49 am

Sagebrush

You can play the money and win once in a while.
In the long run you will come out on the short end. I know I have shot 38,600 registered ATA targets.
The big boys that make a living shooting will take your money most everytime.
100 straight in 16s at a big shoot will tie you with about 40 other shooters.

Swamp

Hang in there the more you shoot the better you will get.
Once you break 25 as you have you will want 50 then 75 then 100.
There are guys that have shot ATA all their life and still not broke 100.
Good luck
"If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara desert,
in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand"
charlie beard
hunter

Postby aftershox454 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:30 pm

keep up the good work, what gun are ya shooting?
aftershox454
hunter

Postby Slipperhead » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:05 pm

Sounds like you're bored with trap already.... Unless you're an upland hunter, the birds don't flush straight away anyway.

If you want to simulate field shooting, give the true game of skeet a try with it's serious angles. It's MUCH more of a social and leisurely game than trap. When you are shooting 23s and 25s in skeet, go to small bore guns. Your wing shooting in the field will improve drastically!

If you have a walk-through sporting clays field nearby, give it a whirl! Just when you think you are getting good, they change up the field layout!!! A friend and I shot 100 sporting birds this morning. Perfect weather, no wind and a pretty tough course! BIG FUN!

Go shooting!

Garland
Garland Hanson
Midlothian, Virginia

"Humpbacks only look good on camels!"
Slipperhead
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:33 pm

Stand back with the BIG boys on the 27yrd line and see how tough it is. I cant shoot skeet the Hi-Heels hurt my feet.
War Wagon
hunter

Postby norcal_tom » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:29 am

War Wagon wrote:Stand back with the BIG boys on the 27yrd line and see how tough it is. I cant shoot skeet the Hi-Heels hurt my feet.

well......you're supposed to take them off when you leave the trap field. The boys are big at the 27 yard line from sitting in their recliners complaining about guys w/ auto loaders. If they walked a bit they might not get so fat.
24 hour emergency Water Fowl removal
norcal_tom
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:43 am

norcal_tom wrote:
War Wagon wrote:Stand back with the BIG boys on the 27yrd line and see how tough it is. I cant shoot skeet the Hi-Heels hurt my feet.

well......you're supposed to take them off when you leave the trap field. The boys are big at the 27 yard line from sitting in their recliners complaining about guys w/ auto loaders. If they walked a bit they might not get so fat.

It is so much fun shooting trap with the guys shooting their "special trap guns" that have the fancy high ribs, off set stocks, raised combs and recoil reduction systems. I break out the old 24" SBE in camo and shoot just as good as they do and Get all kinds of bad looks. I also like listening to them have a fit when they miss, It always seems to be the high $$$ guns fault :lol3:

Trap and skeet are both fun games and good practice but I will take sporting clays over either one. :thumbsup:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TomKat » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:54 am

EXACTLY Mr Sedalia, 16 ft is kindergarden trap. Go shoot a 23 or better at the 25 foot line and then come on here telling us what a good time you had. Let me know how that #5 station works out for ya...
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:23 pm

TK I think you mean yards. 16 ft is 5 yards, and 25 ft is 7.
ScaupHunter wrote:Oompa Loompa Loofah de do. Who wants to share a Loofa with you?
ducks~n~bucks
McLovin

Postby Woodyard » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:12 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:

It is so much fun shooting trap with the guys shooting their "special trap guns" that have the fancy high ribs, off set stocks, raised combs and recoil reduction systems. I break out the old 24" SBE in camo and shoot just as good as they do and Get all kinds of bad looks.

Glad that you are doing so well. I have a suggestion. Take your SBE to the Grand American in Sparta, IL, next month, enter every event and play all the money. You will go home with a bunch of trophies, a fat wallet and a bit of fame.
2011-12:
Mourning doves 49
Buck antelope 1
Buck mule deer 1
Mallards 97
Wood ducks 3
Greenwing teal 24
Bluewing teal 2
Ring necks 8
Pintails 3
Wigeon 1
Gadwalls 1
Shovelers 2
Redheads 1
Canvasbacks 1
Bands 2
Woodyard
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:29 pm

Woodyard wrote:
waterfowlhunter wrote:

It is so much fun shooting trap with the guys shooting their "special trap guns" that have the fancy high ribs, off set stocks, raised combs and recoil reduction systems. I break out the old 24" SBE in camo and shoot just as good as they do and Get all kinds of bad looks.

Glad that you are doing so well. I have a suggestion. Take your SBE to the Grand American in Sparta, IL, next month, enter every event and play all the money. You will go home with a bunch of trophies, a fat wallet and a bit of fame.

That is to much like work. We do it for FUN :lol3: Those competitions get to serious for our group. We ALWAYS joke around, pull doubles rather than 1 bird, Heckle the shooter or just delay on the "PULL" just to spice it up. I have no interest in being "serious" about the game. but thanks for the offer. Those that take the game seroiusly give us a lot of dirty looks :crying: but all of us are in our 40's or 50's and really do not care what they think, We are having a great time and are not bothering their shooting so who cares anyway. Hell, we have 2 guys that often bring their "coach guns" to the sporting clays shoot.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby circustrail » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:40 am

22-23 :)
circustrail
hunter

Postby pavlof » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:22 am

You undoubtedly were lucky for the first time out. The scores will probably go down some as you continue to shoot, I have seen experienced game shooters start out good, like you have, but then settled into 15-17 as a base and then improve from there as they established their technique, get a trap gun, etc. Those of us who regularly shoot 23-25's don't do it all of the time -- we often go through down times when we would love to see a 23. Good, consistent scores in trap do not come easily.
pavlof
Newb

Postby Woodyard » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:34 pm

In singles, 100 straight (that's four 25s back to back) will get you in a shootoff with a lot of other people.
2011-12:
Mourning doves 49
Buck antelope 1
Buck mule deer 1
Mallards 97
Wood ducks 3
Greenwing teal 24
Bluewing teal 2
Ring necks 8
Pintails 3
Wigeon 1
Gadwalls 1
Shovelers 2
Redheads 1
Canvasbacks 1
Bands 2
Woodyard
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:57 pm

Most shooters from the 24 handicap and higher are pretty serious about their shooting and equipment.
Most do it for bragging rights or a living and sponsers,to help with the cost of "moving" plus supplys.

I will agree that the "Pros" are very hard to beat at their game but when first starting out from the 20 to the 23 yard line you do have a chance to come out on top every now and then ,unless there is a "Sleeper" in the group. It also helps to know who you will be shooting againstin the smaller shoots. Major 4-5 day shoots are a total new ball game with over 100 shooters or more in your class,from all over the USA.
As with any thing, you will have bad days and days when you are in the "Zone" and even incorrect leads or mistakes, will chip a bird.
Sagebrush
hunter

Next

Return to Target Shooting