trap scores

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

Re: trap scores

Postby 3200 man » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:09 am

With the New yardage reduction for Most (long yardage shooters) , your chances are pretty slim . Don't worry about beating
them thou ,just try to shoot the Best score You have ever shot and Be Happy you tried your Best . There is No Better Feeling ,
than , Shooting over your head ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Fri May 04, 2012 9:27 am

A lot of shooters shoot factory loads but many of us also reload to see if we can find a "Magic load".

I am always tring out new components and loads..........right now Universal vs my old Unique HDCP loads
to see which breaks better and is cleaner but scores come 1st over a dirty barrel in most cases. These have
to come up a little with my new test, since my e3 and Green Dot loads are doing quite well.

Geting a load to pattern and hit at the POA is one of the hardest things to master......"Kentucky windage"
is ok but a pain in the neck. later.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue May 08, 2012 4:56 pm

last week I shot sporting clays with Winchester AA low noise /low recoil loads, these are AA12FL8 and are Min DR. EQ. 26gram at about 980fps. I did this just as a test to see if shooting lower velocity loads really do work as good as I have heard. I usuallty shoot 1180 - 1200fps and for the Hard course with real long targets I shoot 1300fps but this was an easy course with everything within 35 yds. I was Amazed as how well these actually worked. score dropped by 2 and that was long targets I shot behind as the lead did change a bit. but even on the rabbit targets it shattered them as if i was shooting my 1200fps 7.5 reloads. But I will probably still stick to my 1200fps reloads just because I like them. I had to harass a couple of guys I shoot with as they wanted to try them too. we found that they WILL NOT set the trigger in a Beretta O/U but work great in my 725. :lol3:

I also tried them on the pattern board and they throw a very even pattern with a Mod and IC Choke.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 3200 man » Tue May 08, 2012 5:37 pm

When you say long target course , give us a idea of how far the targets are ? And , whats the name of the Club you shoot ?
Competitive targets don't have to be long ,to be difficult but , long targets that fly in a straight line are shot by reading the line
and shooting the lead . You know , sustain lead ? When shooting lower velosity loads at longer distances ,the shot charge will
get there eventually but , to have a idea of how much it drop at that distance is sometimes ,unbelievable ?
Ask Sagebrush , he knows .
3200 man
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue May 08, 2012 6:07 pm

I shoot at island lakes, A DNR run Course that has 4 throwers at each house, Easy and Hard. the hard are staged to be difficult to hit and some are a good 45 yds, some rise, some fall(launched off a tower) and some are quite fast but no straight crossers that I have seen, a lot of compound angles that makes it fun :yes: great course but some of the guys that shoot with us do not like the hard course so most of the time we shoot the easy course. when I shoot an 80 on the hard course I am very happy :thumbsup: even with 1200fps loads there is a good delay from the shot to the hit on a few of them.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 3200 man » Wed May 09, 2012 3:57 pm

Hey Waterfowlhunter , That sound like a fun course to shoot . Here in the West ,most all courses have long targets because of
the hilly landscape and the wind we have to deal with .It takes a talent to be successful in knowing how to shoot these targets
as well as a little luck ,saying that ,what I mean is any target past 45 yds is a 70 to 75 percent pattern target with holes that
a edge on target can slip threw if it wasn't for a little luck . At that distance ,a good full choke ( .035 ) would be required and
a load that patterned really well to be consistant to score well . i shoot alot of pot shoots at extremly long targets for money
and I can tell you when the target gets out past 50 yds , if you don't have 6 shot or bigger your chances are real slim of breaking
the target . Ask Mike Alpine ,John Kruger ,Andy Duffy or king George and they will tell you it's a 65 percent target with sporting
loads .
Sounds like you're doing well on them ,tho !
3200 man
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Wed May 09, 2012 8:33 pm

Just last week I was testing out a new powder for the 25 yard line HDCP at my trap club............
without first testing the two loads on my chrony.

Shot a full choke in my top & bottom barrel Browning O/U and picked off 21 and 22 birds.
Got to chrony them the next day. I don't feel bad about missing those birds now, since this was the slowest 1 1/8oz HDCP load that I have ever tried.............................only 1116 fps. Not bad for reclaimed #8 lead !!

I think gravity had some thing to do with some of the misses, you think ?
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sat May 12, 2012 12:25 pm

That's surprising , 1116 fps at your elevation ,Humm ! At the 25yd-line you must have a gun that shoots 90/10 ? OR raise your
head off the stock alot ? NO , I'm kidding ,but alot of Kentucky windage would take a good shooter to figure it out . Down here
on level ground ,that speed of shot would produce a really good pattern at close range with not much recoil but , hardly
desirable for long yardage or sporting clays . Thanks for the info ,it should help ALL reloaders !
3200 man
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sun May 13, 2012 12:03 am

Reloading is one of my favorite things to do and the last six years or so I have been on a low velosity kick with my
metalic and shotgun loads. It has been fun but I have also noticed with my age,eye sight and very slight shaking in my hands that I am now missing a few birds at HDCP ranges that I would usually pick off years ago.

Looks like I will have to go back to the 3 Dram HDCP loads to pick up a few more birds. My 1145 & 1165fps light hdcp loads
are letting 2-3 birds slip away.............but I have to admit that my fishing skills are getting better!!

PS Almost forgot..............
Sunday May13th is the final day at Sage hills trap club for the Golded West Grand shoot.
All the Big Names will be there for bragging rights.

later
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sun May 13, 2012 11:50 am

Sage , It's funny you say All the Big Names will be at the GWG shoot .Being of Ventage age myself , a friend of mine gave me
a paper from a shoot in 1979 with a rundown of all the scores . Those scores were from the Big Dogs of the times ,some National
champs in the Hall of Fame and others Champions from states in which they lived .With me ,living within 30 miles of 4 of these
fellas and shooting with them on occasion ,I can tell you ,they can still shoot ,GOOD ! Dan B ,Bob G ,Darwin T,Harold V and
others , when there was REAL MONEY to shoot for , now days we have a hard time making expenses .But , the names go on and
they are champs today ,in my mind .
3200 man
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sun May 13, 2012 2:20 pm

All the Big Boys make more money having there "Clinic's" than shooting. 2 or 3 years ago a 100 st fron the 27 only paid $3000. I know back in 1979 the same score was in the $ 27 to $ 29 k range.
War Wagon
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sun May 13, 2012 11:59 pm

Dan O was at the club last week giving one of the shooters in our group at the 25 and 27, a watchful eye and some words of what was good and what needed improvements. He did not have a gun but still looked great for a Gentleman of his age.

Hope to get out there wensday after all the dust clears.................

And , yes, sadly enough the "Game" is not what it used to be. Some might remember when it was held at the old Harolds Club
out in ,what is now "Spanish Springs". Lots of changes, you don't even see a custom Winchester pump 12 any more.............and 80% of the hulls on the ground were AA's.

If you ever get out to the Washoe rifle range,the range master has done a little shooting at trap ............
guy named Jim Leary, think he won at the Grand , back twelve years or so. I do a little shooting out there,as well.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Mon May 14, 2012 8:07 am

Sage , Are you refering to The Dan O , the champ of champs ? If it was , what do you meane NO GUN ? He has one in the Glass
Case right there in the Club House . Dan B says , Dan O was his Mentor and what a pair of fine Fellas , even tho they would
take your money and leave you smileing . What fond memories !
3200 man
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Mon May 14, 2012 8:23 am

WarWagon , You got that right , sponsors were there to help you out . Today , you might be offered a pair of blinders but ,
you have to be top dog for the day .It's all because of the times , everything has changed in the world of target shooting
with somany differant games to play (sporting ,Skeet,ZZ's,) there is not enough After Tax Dollars to go around ,at lease in
this household ! But , I like shooting them All !
3200 man
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Thu May 17, 2012 4:27 pm

I thought Dan O played pro football for the Green Bay Packers too ?
War Wagon
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri May 18, 2012 4:15 pm

The Dan O I'm talking about could have played for Green Bay but ,I do know ,when he got on the line he was one tough guy
to beat ! A true Champion and a Nice Smile as he walked off with Our Money .
3200 man
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Fri May 18, 2012 8:32 pm

Shot the Beretta 391 and Browning O/U to see whats what at the 16 & 25 HDCP today.

Killers at the 16 were still the standard 1oz 8 and 1 1/8oz #8 at 1145fps .........all three tubes, 74 out of 75.

25yd HDCP went to the Browning , bottom tube,extended Briley Full choke with the Rem sts ,w209, Green Dot 19.5grs
with 1 1/8oz of 7 1/2's. Smoked 25 birds and even let one sail til it was 8 feet off the deck and got it,also !!
Got to keep in shape for those Oakleys, you know. :thumbsup: This new powder is looking good.
Will try the Briley flush choke, next trip out to see what happens.

The Beretta was ok but I missed three birds out of 50. Just blowing the dust out of the barrel since duck season...........
Dove season is only 100 days away. For some reason it shoots better at "Live Clays". I must bear down more ?

Hope to go 50 straight in the next mini shoot coming up June 10th.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sat May 19, 2012 10:59 am

Sage , that's pretty good on trap targets now , get over on the Sporting Clays Course where you belong and do it with that 391.
If you're shooting doves going away like trap targets ,you most likely missed the first two shots .Targets that are 8 ft off the
ground 35 yds from the trap house , I can break 70 percent of the time with 24 grs of 800 x 71/2's with buffer ,any father back
I use 1 1/4 oz of 5's .
My good friend from Smith Valley will be stayiing with me at the end of the month for a shoot ,I'm looking forward to having
him around ,Great Guy and a Hell of a shot .
3200 man
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:28 pm

^ CAPS LOCK get stuck?
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:09 am

Last Friday the trap club gave a free Pork with mushrooms and gravy dinner to all the members and tossed in two free
rounds of skeet or trap...........sweet.
When I got there we chit chatted with all the people and then I went to shoot a few rounds of trap while the wife gave the
poker machine a work over at the bar. Shot a 16 yard with the folks then went to station #5 and set up for a 27 Handicap.
Just messed around with regular and a few long dropper shots. When it was over, I was walking back to my car to put the gun away and one of the lady shooters handed me two more tickets!
Sure was glad that I brought five boxs of shells along,just in case.........................Drove down to the skeet station and
had two rounds of practice. Skipped station two, so I could shot more birds at the last station. Nothing like in your face birds !!
The dinner was great and the whole mushrooms cooked with the meat and gravy were to die for, I could have made a meal out of just the mushrooms! Another great meal.................now have to wait til February for the "Garlic Fest".
None of us cared about scores, we were all winners,with " FREE "................
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:50 am

Sage , we have something in common . We both like shooting Free Targets ! I hope you are doing well and you got that
Blind ready , the season is fast approaching . Our early Goose starts on the 6 th and then it's up norh for a few days .
3200 man
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:25 pm

Nevada has to wait til Oct 13th and the Fish & Game has a no shoot Thur & Friday, Nov 1st and 2nd............

Why,I do not know............maybe to drum up tickets for those that do not read the 2012 regulations. I am sure there will be some hunters that shoot on those days.

Have a good , SAFE season.
Sagebrush
hunter

Previous

Return to Target Shooting