Trap or Sporting Clays

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

Trap or Sporting Clays

Postby tpd5 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:55 am

Hey guys,
I have pretty much no experience shooting clay sports at all. I just joined a club in my town that offers trap and sporting clays. I ultimately would like to get into sporting clays as it will help me in more hunting situations. Since I have no experience with clays of any kind and am fairly new to shotgunning would you recommend starting with trap or going straight to sporting clays.

Thanks
tpd5
hunter

Re: Trap or Sporting Clays

Postby petrel » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:32 am

Go straight to sporting clays if they don't have skeet. Trap is fun, fast paced, and probably excellent practice if you shoot rising game (quail, chukkar, pheasant, etc.), skeet is an excellent warm up, just to get the gun swinging before a hunt. However for waterfowling I believe Sporting Clays would be the ticket. I got into it several years ago. Had my gun fitted and took three hours of lessons during the course of a summer, while trying to knock off at least 200 targets every weekend. By dove season, everything was happening in slow motion. By duck season, it was just a hoot.

Practice makes you better at anything. Sporting clays, in my opinion unlike skeet and trap, will help you work on the two things duckhunters have the most trouble with. The mechanics of a decent gun mount, and the ballistics of odd angled shots. Spend a summer pumping endorphins through your brain, everytime it properly calculates a trajectory and lead , and it will reward you come hunting season.

For gun fit and instruction, search the NSCA directory for someone qualified in your area. Buy a pallet of shells and have a ball!
petrel
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:39 pm

Sporting clays all the way, Trap is fine if your hunting upland birds and they flush straight out in front of you but SC is a LOT more fun than shooting a steady 25 at trap IMO. The only down side is that a round of SC is $15 and Trap / skeet is $3 where I shoot.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NYGOOSEHUNTER » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:29 pm

Definately Sporting Clays! If you plan on getting into SC hot and heavy, might I recommend getting a reloader. I shoot 200+ a weekend, it can get pricey. Also never, ever, ever forget the bugspray!!!!
"CALL ME AARON BURR...CAUSE I'M DROPPIN' HAMILTONS!!"
NYGOOSEHUNTER
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:04 pm

NYGOOSEHUNTER wrote:Definately Sporting Clays! If you plan on getting into SC hot and heavy, might I recommend getting a reloader. I shoot 200+ a weekend, it can get pricey. Also never, ever, ever forget the bugspray!!!!

:hijack:
Great point but dunhams has been selling federals for $45 a case and sometimes as low as $39 a case.

:mad: Lately I can buy cheaper than reload around here. A bag of shot is $50 and 100 Primers are $5.99. I can buy a case of good old Reo 1-1/8 oz 1250fps ammo for $39 a case on sale. I can not load them for $3.99 a box anymore. I have about 7000 empty once fired AA HS hulls and 10,000 wads but only about 250# of shot left that I bought on a pallet for $11.99 a bag. when that is gone I will shoot Factory loads until the price of shot and primers are resonable or I build a shot dripper. :mad:

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:27 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:
NYGOOSEHUNTER wrote:Definately Sporting Clays! If you plan on getting into SC hot and heavy, might I recommend getting a reloader. I shoot 200+ a weekend, it can get pricey. Also never, ever, ever forget the bugspray!!!!

:hijack:
Great point but dunhams has been selling federals for $45 a case and sometimes as low as $39 a case.

:mad: Lately I can buy cheaper than reload around here. A bag of shot is $50 and 100 Primers are $5.99. I can buy a case of good old Reo 1-1/8 oz 1250fps ammo for $39 a case on sale. I can not load them for $3.99 a box anymore. I have about 7000 empty once fired AA HS hulls and 10,000 wads but only about 250# of shot left that I bought on a pallet for $11.99 a bag. when that is gone I will shoot Factory loads until the price of shot and primers are resonable or I build a shot dripper. :mad:

$6 for 100 primers! :eek: i bought some today at $3.95 per 100, but wads have jumped from 4.95 per 500 to 9.95 per 500! :no:

and it is getting pricey at $48 here for 25lbs of shot!
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby huntfishnv » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:56 pm

yup, go straight to sporting clays itll help alot.
Nick Roehl wrote:Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signiture.

Un-expect the expected
huntfishnv
hunter

Postby jo mcrow » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:45 pm

Great advice from everyone!
Sporting clays is almost as much fun as hunting!
Have a blast and your feathered friends will fall easily this autumn!
Jo Mcrow
jo mcrow
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:21 am

Most shooters have the gun mounted at skeet or trap while in clays the gun is at the ready position which is how it is in the field
and is the way to really improve your hunting skills. I also hope you can use both eyes open, which will up your odds.

good shooting.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:47 pm

Sagebrush wrote: use both eyes open, which will up your odds.

Both eyes open :thumbsup:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:04 pm

2011....................here we go again.

1st Trap meet in 9 days !!

Tight patterns and High scores to all.

After all winter inside, you might put a little sun screen on the back of your neck!
Mine got a slight burn on my 1st outing, with just a t-shirt.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:05 pm

Finally got the new chrony to the trap range to check out my Lite 7/8, std 1oz and a few 1 1/8oz loads.............
All my "Fac Dup" loads per Alliant were all much higher than the fac fps for all loads .
My 1090 7/8 was actually 1145fps, 1180 1oz was 1220 to 1300 with different wads and primers and my
1250fps 1 1/8oz SR4756 load came out at only 1145fps.................

Learned a lot ........and back to the drawing board. At 4,500 ft elevation, looks like I can back off on my powders
and maybe get better patterns and scores ?
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:44 am

Final shoot of the year.............................Saturday 10/29/2011,Reno Nv.

Got invited to a sponsored Sporting Clays shoot where the Coffee,donuts,shells,fees,lunch and one drink ticket
were all free. Plus a bag of goodies from Sportsmans Alliance that put on this great shoot.
The weather was fantastic and sunny with no wind,to mess with the birds.

After all the smoke had cleared and the yelling,screaming and *&%@!)^$ was all taken care of, from some of the hardest,
in your face and way out there, plus droppers and sage bush high screamers, we went down to the club house and started adding up the scores.

Our team was really surprised when they announced that we had come in with the 3rd high score ,over all. The best part was one of the adults could not make it and another members son took his place and shot on our 4 man team with a gun that he had never used and never shooting SC befor came up with the great score of 48.
Best of all, this 15 year old ended up with the winning ticket for the last raffel prize................
A brand new,out of the box, Remington 30-06 rifle with a 3-9x scope !!

Holly Molly !!
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:58 am

There is nothing better than ,going out with friends to shoot some targets ! A friendly competition is always in order and drinking
a beer or 2 that someone else has bought always taste SO GOOD !
3200 man
hunter

Return to Target Shooting