Crash Course in Air Rifles Please

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

Crash Course in Air Rifles Please

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:58 am

I am looking for a good quality, strong, good looking air rifle. It has been so long since I pumped up my Crossman 700 that I need a full refresher course as I am a shotgunner.

So, I want to shoot rats and pest birds at a target distance (at times 200'+) plus good plinking power
I prefer a wood stock.
Pump vs brake barrel
22 vs 177

suggested models and pricing estimates.
models to avoid?

useful info

Thanks boys...
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Crash Course in Air Rifles Please

Postby brad g. » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:12 am

real illusion corn kernels pro staff
If it flies it dies if it just sits there it dies to.
I have always loved things that fly, somethin in me just wants to make them stop flyin
brad g.
hunter

Postby Bgold » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:47 am

I’m a fan of the career series air rifle. They are technically a repeater because they have a high pressure res that you fill from a scuba tank. It’s a .22 cal air rifle. I shot a crow of a fence at about 50 yards so its accurate and has plenty of zip to it.
Foamy Log Blind@ ProStaff
"Why sport an Oak when you can float a Log"

Retrieves by Gunner: 23
Bgold
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:12 am

I have a couple of crossman / Gamo 177 rifes. they are advertised at 1100fps but in reality they are around 990. they work great for birds and small rodents but not much good for bigger squirrels and coons. the accuracy is crow size ou to about 50 yds. I would probably go with a 22cal if I was to buy another one. I have basically switched to using my henry lever 22 rimfire with Aguila Super Colibri ammo. Quieter than an air rifle and works better on bigger rodents. I have also used the CCI CB Shorts and they are about the same noise level as my air rifles. but with this option I have a 20 round repeater, a lot better range and accuracy too.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Jones co Ducker » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:28 am

PBA ammo advertises 30% fps gain but then again its advertisement
WTN10 wrote:Why do you assume I'm a genius? Have you ever considered that I'm average and that you're retarded?

jehler wrote: Beginning of the season cyber scouters, whiney teenage drama queens and zombie trolls take their toll.
Jones co Ducker
hunter

Postby keith96 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:12 am

for the longest time i used a crosssman storm xt in 177 i now shoot a beman dual al air rifle i have the 177 set at 100 yards and the .22 at 65 yards i can drop alot of criters with it while keeping target quality acrecy and realy it comes down to ur pellit size wheight and shape i shoot holow point crossman
(-true waterfowling-)
keith96
hunter

Postby Finprof » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:38 pm

It depends on how much you want to spend and whether you want to go through the bother of a scuba setup. For around $500-600 you can get an Air Arms TX-200 or a Weirauch HW-97 springer that will put pellets into nearly one hole at 50 yards and have a match-quality trigger. You can take either down to 6 oz or get a clean two-stage break at 2 pounds.
For the same price except needing a scuba tank, you can get a Crosman Marauder. The trigger is not quite as nice.
If you want to go all out, for $3000 or so you can get a Steyr LG-110 Hunter, whcih is basically a version of their olympic target rifle on steroids.
The Gamos and Stoegers can shoot well if you really know how to tune them. I compete in air rifle silhouette with my LG-110 hunter against a guy who has a $150 Stoeger that has been heavily tweaked and tuned to the pont it has become very accurate. That guy is an air rifle addict who has over 200 air rifles and tries to tweak and tune the cheap ones until they are competitive. Out of the box the Gamos and Stoegers have rough triggers and bounce all over the place when you shoot them. They are very hold-sensitive. Most of their owners are satisfied with them, but they don't realize that a good air rifle is more accurate than any cartridge gun made. My Walther LG300XT will put pellets into one hole at 50 yards all day long, which is better than an Anschutz target .22 will do at that range.
Finprof
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:57 pm

I ended up with a Gamo on special from Cabellas and jeeeeeees, let me tell you, it is ALL you need.
Then, I hooked up with some Air Rifle nerds at a gun show and they turned me on to some crazy German Ammo, even crazier (figures with the Germans!)
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby duckinismyluckin » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:02 pm

Hi slacktide.
1. Gamo's are crap stay away from them.
2. Go with crosman or german made, AKA weihrauch,Beeman,RWS
3. 22. or bigger for hunting.
3. 25. cal is most efficent ie Calbier/Powerplant=FPE Foot Pounds of Energy.
4. to me i think 22 is the ultimate between penetration and knock down.
5. Gamo makes very good ammo. Except the gold PBA crap stay away from that.
Crosman also makes good ammo too.
6. Guns i recommend Benjimen Trail XL 22. Benjiman Titan. All german 22 models.

If you have questions let me know i had bunches of .177 cal guns. Couple 22 guns. On the verge of buying a benjimen marauder 25.cal.
duckinismyluckin
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:50 pm

duckinismyluckin wrote:1. Gamo's are crap stay away from them.
2. Go with crosman

:lol3: I was told that Gamo makes the air rifles for Crosman, Ruger, Remington, and a few others by the warranty dept.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckinismyluckin » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:41 pm

Actually they don't and gamo's are bad Crosman is its own brand.

(Edited by Moderator for content replaced banned word with "Bad")
duckinismyluckin
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:03 am

So far, so good with mine.
Good looking, easy to use, good power... louder than I would have thought...

I got some German ammo in the tins from some BB Nerds at a gun show..

"Plink!"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Return to Target Shooting