Chokes

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

Chokes

Postby SHERMAN58 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:36 pm

I found some great chokes for hunting, skeet, trap, sporting clays.
I have tried several over the years. I had some Kicks smoke skeet 2 broke, After the second I quit using them.
I just got a Mod- Full-& cyl. from Blackbore They are by far the best I have ever tried. Mark @ Blackbore answered all my questions took my order took really good care of everything. Give these a try They are the best extended ported chokes Ihave used.
SHERMAN58
Newb

Re: Chokes

Postby just4dux » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:10 am

I use Muller choke tubes but there are many good one's to choose from.
just4dux
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:20 pm

I have been using tru-lock for years, Have not damaged one yet and they pattern great, I think they make the chokes for Benelli now too. I have had Carlson's and Briley's expand with BBB, T and F shot but never had an issue with expansion using the tru-lock chokes.

I still use Carlson's and Briley too but limit them to my lead shot and small steel loads.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Dog Tired » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:56 pm

reviving a dead post here, but its slightly applicable.

whats the theory on using two diff chokes in a o/u? seem slike most folks use mod/imp or some combination, i'm assuming its because the shooter is anticipating taking the first choice shot at closer range (imp) and then maybe attempting with the second shot at a further distance (mod) therefore needing a tighter pattern at the anticipated further distance. new to the o/u world and still not sure why i'd need two different patterns in the sky....
Dog Tired
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:18 pm

Dog Tired wrote:reviving a dead post here, but its slightly applicable.

whats the theory on using two diff chokes in a o/u? seem slike most folks use mod/imp or some combination, i'm assuming its because the shooter is anticipating taking the first choice shot at closer range (imp) and then maybe attempting with the second shot at a further distance (mod) therefore needing a tighter pattern at the anticipated further distance. new to the o/u world and still not sure why i'd need two different patterns in the sky....

For one thing most O/U's do not come with 2 of the same choke so if you want to shoot 2 I/C's you have to buy more chokes. Second, is your point of a close bird or a far bird. It is very nice in sporting clays where on all the courses I shoot there is a close bird or rabbit and a far bird. When I shoot SC with my SBE I compromise with a light mod but in my O/U I use an IC and Mod. I have never hunted with an O/U as I like the 3rd shot to be available.

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Force Fetch » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:18 pm

Great question.
I shoot a lot of trap and skeet besides being a wacked out waterfowler and uplander.
In trap doubles I use two different chokes bottom bbl cylinder (yes) .740 bore and a .030for the top second bbl. Anywhere in the USA all double targets are pretty much the same and it has worked for years. In singles and handicap I have a .750 bore gun and use a .025 restriction choke, I do not have letter designations for the chokes on my target gun, just the restriction in relation to the bore of the bbl.
The use of different chokes in stack bbl guns is shooter preference. I am of the old school that you can get the most out of any choke by using different ammo in each bbl in hunting situations. My 3200 Rem. for huns likes 8's in the bottom bbl and 7 1/2's in the top (checked on a pattern board) 8's are Rem. STS and the 71/2's are Win. Heavy Handicap Trap. Both barrels are choked Remington Skeet factory chokes in 26"bbls, fixed chokes.
I didn't want to add to the confusion. Pattern your gun with different ammo and chokes and find the best pattern for your type of hunting and use what works in the field and most of all in your head.
Shoot well, Head Down and Keep Swinging
PS: there is no standard restriction values for IC,Mod,Full. Barrels are bored different and the restriction can vary .005 by mfg.
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby Dog Tired » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:31 pm

i think i answered my own question in my post...but thanks force, makes sense. i guess the trick now is patterning the two chokes with game loads based on my shooting conditions.

i guessi percieve the theory of having two different chokes as a strange one since i've only ever shot a single barrel until recently. my mindset going into it was that i ought to be able to hit my target with either tube of my o/u in any of the distance/direction combos that come at me. efor the record waterfowlhunter, haha, i knew ahead of time that my o/u was coming with two diff chokes, but like i said above, odes that really make sense? i guess it gives you options, but that sounds fancy for complicated....
Dog Tired
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:30 am

The fastest choke selector is a double trigger gun with appropriate chokes for the occasion. I have not been successful in selecting with a tang safety different barrels in the heat of action. On my Sterlingworth it is easy, front or rear trigger.
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:44 am

Force Fetch wrote:The fastest choke selector is a double trigger gun with appropriate chokes for the occasion. I have not been successful in selecting with a tang safety different barrels in the heat of action. On my Sterlingworth it is easy, front or rear trigger.

That is what is nice with my stevens 311. Ful and mod fixed chokes and double triggers.

Not too often do you see a fixed choke O/U or SXS with 2 of the same chokes. I have seen them and they were full and full.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:33 am

For close work like skeet shooting at 10-20 yards the skeet or I/C chokes are what most shooters select since most can't hit the bird at station 8 with a full choke.

Most trap shooters use I/C to a MOD choke for the birds shot at 28 to 40 yards but if you want to see just smoke some shoot a Full choke. If I had just one choke for everything,I would select a MOD choke, since it would work shooting trap and not shoot up
the birds in the field if close and still drop the farther birds that fly by, if you do more close upland shooting a I/C would probably fit the bill.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby circustrail » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:50 am

hmmm wondering what's the other option when this fails?
circustrail
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:09 pm

See: gun fit

or lear to go bowling.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Saltwater_Assassin » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:33 pm

Benelli factory tubes work just as good as the after markets do. From my experience that is...............
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible"
- George Washington
Saltwater_Assassin
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:32 am

Saltwater_Assassin wrote:Benelli factory tubes work just as good as the after markets do. From my experience that is...............

For lead shot I agree, Aftermarket choke tubes do not seem make any difference with shot sizes under #4. I have even found that with steel in most cases up to #4 the flush mount factory chokes are comparable with aftermarket extended chokes

I know it is possible to get a factory gun / choke combination that throws great patterns but For larger Steel shot I have found that Trulock (just my favorite brand) will throw a much better pattern with shot sizes #2 and larger in my Benelli's. I have found this to be true with almost every gun and choke I have tested, And I have tested every popular brand of choke in Browning's, Benelli's, Winchester's, Franchi's, Mossbergs and Remingtons. The only exception was one old SBE I had with a 24" Barrel that patterned all loads great with factory chokes.

Really the main reason I like an extended choke is for the ease of changing it and checking to make sure it is tight.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Target Shooting