Any Clay Shooting Clubs -forced to use STEEL ??

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

Any Clay Shooting Clubs -forced to use STEEL ??

Postby decoycarver » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:28 pm

My club was just told use Steel Shot--DEP ORDERED the cease fire of Lead shot--anyother clubs under l
this rule let me know I can help them out I need contacts..pm me..with info.thaks
decoycarver
hunter

Re: Any Clay Shooting Clubs -forced to use STEEL ??

Postby duckkillerclyde » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:33 pm

there is one that I know of in oregon but it is also on a NWR
valley waterfowlers
duckkillerclyde
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:13 pm

#7 steel works just fine for trap shooting.

I have yet to try it with sporting clays at the longer distances but it works great from 40 yards in.

So if your gun club "Goes Green" you will still be able to enjoy the sport.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby flatbottom mudslinger » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:32 am

Sagebrush wrote:#7 steel works just fine for trap shooting.

I have yet to try it with sporting clays at the longer distances but it works great from 40 yards in.

So if your gun club "Goes Green" you will still be able to enjoy the sport.

I'm not sure shot size is the issue...maybe I'm wrong. Cost of shooting would be my biggest concern. I don't shoot clays on a regular basis so I don't reload, Xpert steel (the cheapest stuff i can find) is about $14 a box, you can find lead shot on sale for as little as $3 a box. Shooting is alot more fun when I don't have to work overtime to pay for it.
This is an interesting subject, something I would like to know more about. How would the cost of reloading steel compare to buying lead off the shelf? Are we going to see a decline in recreational shooting with so many ranges going to non-toxic ammo? I know there are a couple of manufacturers making non-toxic, single projectile rifle ammo also to cope with new laws restricting the use of lead. What ever happened to bismuth? I'm sure its still around though with the introduction of tungsten its not as popular as it was in the early to mid '90s. I was just a teenager then so there is no way I could afford it but what I remember about it is that it performed very much like lead, as far as speed and density, but it cost more than steel. Has the price come down any? Would it be a good alternative to steel in the competitive clay target shooting world?
Ok I'm straying from the subject a little, maybe I should've posted something in the "environmental issues forum" but this thread has really sparked an interest in me. So far in Michigan there aren't any restrictions to the use of lead in target shooting or hunting (aside from waterfowl) that I am aware of, at least not a statewide law. Private clubs may have their own rules I guess. I'm sure that someday the use of lead will be highly restricted everywhere, and not just in ammunition. Battery manufacturers aren't using as much lead anymore, even fishing tackle such as sinkers and jigheads are being made from non-toxic materials. Its just a matter of time when just possessing lead will be illegal without a license or permit.
All statements in this post are a matter of OPINION and THEORY very little common knowledge or intellect went into the content of this writing.
treat every situation like a dog. If you cant eat it or hump it just piss on it and walk away
flatbottom mudslinger
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:47 am

While they are more expensive than the "promotional" lead loads, some of the mamufacturers are now producing "sporting" or "clays" loads w/ steel just for this reason.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:33 pm

I shot Trap last Sunday at the 16 and 25 yard line in a shoot with 14 teams , using steel and only missed 4 birds out of 50 clays
with a 20mph wind.

Still was able to pick up a 30 inch trophy.

Some places winchester steel can be picked up at $9.00 a box but it is one reason to start reloading if you are young or might do a lot of shooting....... just saying.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:33 pm

I have been using the winchester super target #7 steel for a few rounds of SC now and my scores have remained the same. The course I shoot at offers a vast variety of presentations and distances and the steel woks just fine. It runs about $7.49 a box here for them on sale, $9.49 regular price. AA Lead runs me about the same or ocassionaly I can get the AA's for $6.99 or the gun clubs for $4.49 so it does cost a bit more in the long run.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Target Shooting