shootin' practice?

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

shootin' practice?

Postby duckjumper » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:49 pm

Hey all,

Now that our season is over, it's time to hit the range for practice. What's best? Trap? Skeet? Or the expensive-but-fun sporting clays?
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:54 pm

I never have understood all those, we shoot the clay pigeons from a thrower in the back yard. Dont know what it would be considered and dont know the difference.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Ducksbeus » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:03 pm

ALL of the above...dont forget ta shoot sum paper as well :yes: :yes: :yes:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Re: shootin' practice?

Postby ACEBLDRS » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:32 pm

duckjumper wrote:Hey all,

Now that our season is over, it's time to hit the range for practice. What's best? Trap? Skeet? Or the expensive-but-fun sporting clays?

YES. :yes:

I shoot in a skeet league, and on weekends in the offseason. I will hit about 40 rounds of trap and squeeze in any chance at sporting clays.

probably shoot about 20K rounds of shells in the off season.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby Citori12 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:54 am

I shot competition trap and skeet for many years. Now I am a sporting clays guy all the way and I love shooting ranges I have not shot before cause shooting sporting clays is like a box of chocolates you never know what your going to get!!!! And its excellent practice for all angles speeds and target sizes.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby Zirkels » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:06 pm

20,000 rounds in the off season, good God I don't think I have shot that many rounds in my life. What are the most economical sporting clay ranges that anyone has found. The ones that I have done are $25 and $30.
Zirkels
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:26 pm

The price range you listed is right in line with our 100 target stations here.
Given the challenge of some of these courses its worth every penny. Trap and skeet are great games to shoot but after awhile you train yourself to shoot the station and not the target. Where as sporting clays present targets that in some cases you would never take that shot in the field. It forces you to shoot the target. I make it a rule to never shoot a range too often unless the range people change up thier stations periodiaclly. Most of our ranges re-arrange thier courses pretty regularly and I shoot alot of rounds trying to get good at it!
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby jjohnson_714 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:33 pm

we just hand toss ours with one of those hand held throwers... it seem to work out good, cause we try to confuse eachother on how its going to fly (like real life)...
i'd love to try shooting at a range though, just to see how good/bad i would do... however i dont have the $$ to be shellin out for it
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby DUKHTR » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:18 pm

I MAY shoot a couple afternoons of skeet during the summer....if not busy.....never had an issue with a need for 'practice'.......some folks need it, some folks enjoy it and other just do it.....and that's fine, but I have never had a need for it and my shooting abilities do not diminish. Fortunately I maintain a B shooter average.....and never desire to get a straight 25 every time out. If I do get out, it's for the fun of shooting.......I don't ever want to make shooting a chore or a pressure point.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby casey_714 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:03 pm

And you can really launch the pigeons with the hand throwers! You have to think and shoot fast.
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby greenster » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:34 pm

I Felt that this topic is best suited for the Target shooting forum.

Shadow is left in the shotgun forum as well.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:46 am

Pigeons and Paper :thumbsup: Pigeons keeps the dog involved and are great targets. If you can hit pigeons you can hit ducks. We find a field where they are feeding , put a few silloets out , add the shot ones in the spread and have a hoot. Great for the dog as well. :thumbsup:
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby puddlerjumper » Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:23 pm

YES.

I shoot in a skeet league, and on weekends in the offseason. I will hit about 40 rounds of trap and squeeze in any chance at sporting clays.

probably shoot about 20K rounds of shells in the off season.

Same exact situation for me. I end up putting about 10k just in clays. and another 5-7k at starlings and then we rail the shell stores through dove season.
puddlerjumper
hunter

Postby choclab » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:51 pm

Jim Broadbridge wrote:Pigeons and Paper :thumbsup: Pigeons keeps the dog involved and are great targets. If you can hit pigeons you can hit ducks. We find a field where they are feeding , put a few silloets out , add the shot ones in the spread and have a hoot. Great for the dog as well. :thumbsup:

Heck ya....if ya want practice for ducks........why not use real birds??? My friend owns a feed lot. We shot about 4-5 boxes each, every time we go out. It's a blast. Spencerusmc and I went out yesterday. We were a little hung over from Sat. night. The birds were pretty lucky, we couldn't hit crap.
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

practice

Postby marshwhacker » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:34 pm

i shoot 2 to 3 times a week during the off season, in fact, i just got back from the range about 10 minutes ago i shot a 22 in my first round of skeet and a 20 in my second round
marshwhacker
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:37 am

Zirkels wrote:20,000 rounds in the off season, good God I don't think I have shot that many rounds in my life. What are the most economical sporting clay ranges that anyone has found. The ones that I have done are $25 and $30.

I shot approx. 15K shells last off season. Shooting skeet, 5 stand, and sporting clays. :thumbsup:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby tjkellyc4 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:44 am

i shoot trap twice a week during the off season, usually with wobble traps. its good practice, and the thing with trap is that if you have a shooting problem you can easily work it out with a little bit of practice.
tjkellyc4
hunter

Return to Target Shooting