Trap tips...

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

Trap tips...

Postby kjm1022 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:38 pm

My wife has gravitated towards trap the past few years. I have been a life long skeet shooter. I get her to shoot skeet on occasion as well, as she learned on a skeet field and has taken many lessons. We routinely shoot similar scores for trap, about 20-22. She consistantly shoots trap better than me, she's been shooting for about 2 years, I have been shooting for 20 years. I shoot consistantly without missing until I get to the 4th and 5th stations and it goes to hell. What should I be doing differently in regard to stance, hold point, look, etc... ? I shoot right handed.
kjm1022
hunter

Re: Trap tips...

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:31 pm

You need to open up your stance. Don't put your left foot behind you, put it more out (this is hard to type up without showing you :lol3: ). And don't point your gun right at the trap house. Hold it above by about 2 feet and to the right by about 3 feet for post 5. For post 4, hold high and right at the corner. And either lead the clay as it comes out or you can assault it where you point your muzzle where you 'think' its going to be. It might take some time to get comfortable with a certain stance and shooting style. A good trapshooter has a difference stance at every post.

And don't think I'm some dumb kid :hi: I've shot at state level high school competitions 4 times and National level high school competitions twice. And since I've been out of high school, I still shoot in leagues. Granted I'm not the greatest shot, but I did learn from some very very experienced shooters. :beer:

Good luck man!
Let there be welders, to attach metal to other metal things. Genesis 1:36

Kenlee's Krew Pro Staff
MOhuntingGuy
Mrs. Red Ryder

Postby TNAL45 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:35 pm

General rule of thumb I was taught and live by is to put your toes on an imaginary line parallel to what a hard left bird would be (for a righty). This should give you basically an open, belt buckle pointed at the trap house on station 1 to a belt buckle away from the trap house on station 5. This setup should give you almost a straight shot on a hard right bird at station 1 and an almost straight shot on a hard left bird at station 5 (at the point your swing would become uncomfortable to go beyond that straight shot). It allows your swing to be best suited to the 'hard' bird from each station. Swing with the hips not just the shoulders and practice. Also for a righty the gun is moving away from your face on most birds thrown right from stations 4 and 5. Bury your cheek on the stock and keep her there firm. Good luck!
cannon wrote:Rules, in general, are bad for me. Left to my own resources, I'm a fairly responsible citizen. Once rules are in place, I have an insatiable desire to break them repeatedly. It's a sickness.
TNAL45
hunter

Postby kjm1022 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:05 am

TNAL45 wrote:General rule of thumb I was taught and live by is to put your toes on an imaginary line parallel to what a hard left bird would be (for a righty). This should give you basically an open, belt buckle pointed at the trap house on station 1 to a belt buckle away from the trap house on station 5. This setup should give you almost a straight shot on a hard right bird at station 1 and an almost straight shot on a hard left bird at station 5 (at the point your swing would become uncomfortable to go beyond that straight shot). It allows your swing to be best suited to the 'hard' bird from each station. Swing with the hips not just the shoulders and practice. Also for a righty the gun is moving away from your face on most birds thrown right from stations 4 and 5. Bury your cheek on the stock and keep her there firm. Good luck!

That all makes sense, especially keeping the stock buried. The stance will take getting use to, seems so different than a left foot forward stance for skeet. I'll give it a try!
kjm1022
hunter

Postby vertical_edge_800 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:41 pm

I shot in a tournament today and thought "ahh what the heck, I'll shoot some trap just for fun". I beat the death out of the skeet field sometimes 5 days a week... can't say the same about trap... I step onto that station like I would station 7 on skeet... and let me tell you, I SUCK at trap. I got 22/25 on the 16yd and 12/25 on the 25yd handicap. Needless to say, I did not place today!! Looks like I've got some reading to do... very interesting to read about the varied stances.
2nd Battalion, 1st Marines "The Professionals"
vertical_edge_800
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:38 am

Make sure that your stance will let you swing on the hard left and hard right targets on #1 and the #5 stations,without
your upper body locking up and preventing more swing. Turn with your hips,not your arms.

Call for the bird and don't move your barrel until you KNOW what path the bird is taking,then go after it. Too many people try to guess where it is going and then have to swing in the other direction to try to catch up to the bird going the other direction!

Learn what lead is needed at each station,per the clays angle and riseor even fall with a bad wind or weather. Hard lefts might
need 18" of lead where a hard right at #5 might need a 24" or 36" lead depending on your load velosity and how fast your swing is.

At the 16 yard station the 12 Ga. 1oz #8 at 1180 or 1 1/8 #8 at 1145fps is all that is needed to smoke the birds,when you are on with a mod to full choke.

Putting you load on the pattern board or one or two in the dirt at 35 yards is another way to help you under stand where your pattern is going and if you need to make any adjustments to get the most pellets on your target.

Good shooting.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby mokeman » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:06 am

Sagebrush wrote:At the 16 yard station the 12 Ga. 1oz #8 at 1180 or 1 1/8 #8 at 1145fps is all that is needed to smoke the birds,when you are on with a mod to full choke.

Personally, I think that one of the biggest detriments to good 16-yard trap is shooting 1-1/8th oz (or even 1-oz for that matter).

I've ran many a 25's with 3/4 oz (IM), and so 7/8th's oz with a MOD choke is a good middle ground and more than enough, especially for new shooters. I've worked with struggling shooters (including myself at one time) who were stuck on some score plateau, and reducing their payloads to 7/8's oz almost always got them over that. Contrary to popular belief, less is more in this case.

I've often wondered why it was that reducing recoil increases scores. Then I found a slow motion video that I believe explains it. Also contrary to popular belief is the myth that the recoil event starts only when the payload exits the muzzle. It actually starts when the shell goes of, and the payload is set into motion (before it exits the muzzle). If/when you have a light grip on the forearm of the gun (which is more common than folks think), the recoil event that is set into motion actually lifts your muzzle up a bit before the payload even exits the muzzle, and you hand up shooting over the target.

Shooting the lighter 7/8th's oz payloads allows you to not have to worry about holding down on the forearm so much. Only problem is, factory 7/8th's oz loads isn't so common in the stores, and if your serious about trap shooting, you pretty much have to commit to reloading your own ammo.
mokeman
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:09 pm

I agree with the lighter loads but most do not reload and most shooting ranges sell the 1oz and 1 1/8oz loads.

I shoot 7/8oz X-Lite at 1150 fps, per my chrony at 3 feet and the load smokes the clays with a full choke with either barrel on my O/U, at the 16 yard line. I do,however, prefer a little more velosity when shooting Skeet,with birds crossing at right angles,to
cut down on the amout of lead needed.

There are Factory reduced loads out there but the cost is not the best for people with skinny wallets.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:50 am

When you say , A little more velosity , how much gives you the advantage ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:10 pm

The "Advantage" is knowing what your different loads,chokes and patterns are doing at the range/distance, that you are breaking your birds at.

Skeet is at 10 to 20 yards on the average with #9 lead pellets in 1oz at 1180fps or 1 1/8oz at 1145fps,for the 12Ga.

Trap can use 7/8oz up to 1 1/8oz payloads with #8 and 7 1/2 pellets as the standard but you may go down to #9 if needed.

A good shooter will put his loads onto paper to see what they are doing................
Many shooters miss birds because their load/gun/chokes are not putting a killing patten on the bird and maybe just 50%
of the pattern.

It is really about patterns vs velositys..............most good patterns come from slower velositys but if you can find a load
over 1200fps that patterns 70% at 36 yards , Great !!
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:42 pm

Myself , I shoot alot of pot shoots and I can agree with you on load choice ( velosity )but , pellet size dictates distance . Saying
that , I mean you have got to have enough pellets in the pattern .
Sage , you know your stuff so , keep feeding us the info .
3200 man
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:46 pm

Did you know......................
That a 3 Dram #8 at 1200fps and a #7 1/2 at 1165fps get to 40 yards at the same time ?

A Quail needs .55 ft/lbs of pellet energy to make a killing shot so............
a #9 at 1290fps maximum range is 39 yards
a #8 at 1290fps max range is......55 yards
a 7.5 at only 1145fps max range is..60 yards

Recoil of a gun weighing 7lbs 14oz (12 Ga.)
7/8oz at 1145fps 9.4 ft/lbs 1300fps @ 12.8 ft/lbs (28Ga std @ 9.4 )
1oz at1180fps 13.2 ft/lbs 1290fps @ 16.4 ft/lbs
1 1/8 at 1145fps @ 15.5 ft/lbs 1200fps @ 17.4 ft/lbs
1 1/2oz @ 1330fps old Mag Duck load @ 39.9 ft/lbs ala 375 H&H Rifle.............Hello !!

Later.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:18 am

Back in the Old Days , We were shooting 1 1/4 oz of good hard shot w/34 grs of 4756 ,Buffered . Theses days , we have found
better components to hold patterns together , at a price though ! Shooting Pot shoots against some Really Good Shooters ,if you
don't have the Goods , You can't compete ! I'am sore Today , for competeing yesterday .
At your Ventage Sage , you probably have that secret recipe that works for you ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:40 pm

:hijack:

Sagebrush wrote:Did you know......................
That a 3 Dram #8 at 1200fps and a #7 1/2 at 1165fps get to 40 yards at the same time ?

A Quail needs .55 ft/lbs of pellet energy to make a killing shot so............
a #9 at 1290fps maximum range is 39 yards
a #8 at 1290fps max range is......55 yards
a 7.5 at only 1145fps max range is..60 yards

So what does it take to break a clay target at 50 yds? We have a few 50-55 yd birds on the sporting clays course I have been shooting 1oz or 1-1/8 oz 7.5's @ 1250fps at all distances and doing fine with nice "star" breaks out to 50 yds with a mod and IC choke. but I was thinking of droping to #8 and opening up to an LM and IC to help with the close fast rabbits that are mixed in. I have never done the calculations to see if #8's will work on the long targets. I do know that the Battue (presented rim on) and rabbit are harder to break than the standard targets.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 3200 man » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:22 pm

In most cases , out to say 30 yds I shoot 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2's With a Skeet choke for rabbits .When you say 50 yards ,you had
better stay with the 7 1/2's and the more pellets ,the better . Velosity is another ? If you get good patterns out of the chokes
you use with faster loads , Great , but in most cases 1200 ft/sec is a Better .
3200 man
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:53 am

3200 man wrote:In most cases , out to say 30 yds I shoot 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2's With a Skeet choke for rabbits .When you say 50 yards ,you had better stay with the 7 1/2's and the more pellets ,the better . Velosity is another ? If you get good patterns out of the chokes you use with faster loads , Great , but in most cases 1200 ft/sec is a Better .

:thumbsup:
I have no issue at all with the patterns with the 7.5's at that range but like to "test" different options. the way I look at it is if I open up one constriction and then go with #8 shot I will have a slightly larger pattern with the same density but less energy. this new 725 patterns great (waiting for extra chokes to be available so I can get a LM) and I am hitting the long targets 66% + of the time. I am pretty sure the misses are completely my fault and not a hole in the pattern but I might try some AA Sporting clays #8 loads @ 1300fps next week. I am just getting the new gun dialed in and getting used to having 2 chokes to chose from. they set this course up to make it hard, one station might have 2 long targets and the next might be a long and short/very fast target. Or I could carry my 1250 reloads and switch chokes for the demands at each station.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 3200 man » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:20 am

With Not Much to gain with 100 ft/sec in velosity ,I stay with what patterns best with the choke of choice for the Range I'm
shooting . The higher speed loads don't gain you much and most of the time , they don't pattern well ,but do offer more recoil .
By shooting a load that you're comfortable with and 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2's you've got all the power you need to break targets at
any distance , all you have to get THEN , is confidence in your shooting ability . Don't worry about the Bow or Arrow ,take time
to educate the Indian !
3200 man
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri May 04, 2012 7:06 am

Waterfowlhunter , Those 1300 SC loads do have a thump to them but , So ,I will say this . If you look at ALL the top shooters
in the World , say TOP TEN . There is Not ONE , that shoots a load like that . They are shooting a 1200 to 1250 load that ,they
can handle all the way though a Long Sporting Clays Event . Good patterns with proper constriction (choke choice) is the Key
for success .
By the way , have you had you 725 Fitted ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sat May 05, 2012 10:14 pm

If your trap club is using the "New" bio-degradable clays, the #8's need to hit them HARD to break them.

We just had a shoot where guys back at the 25 yard HDCP shooting 3 Dr factory 8's were knocking the orange paint off the birds, moving them to the side and, NOTHING.......not nary a chip!!

I told the guys on our team to go to # 7.5's but two guys did not change over and it cost us 1st place and high over all.
Just depends if you can get the center of the pattern on the birds,early enough,before the energy falls off.

I have found out that my O/U at the 25-27 is dead on with a 7.5 reload at 1165fps with my guns set up and gravity and
distance that I break my birds at..........but my A-5 and 391 need the 3 Dr to be dead on, with the way they fit me.

It is really all about point of impact of the loads that you are shooting.................
I have an old win. mod 42 .410 that will break clays back at the 27 but I am lucky to break 12 out of 25 at the 16 yard line
the way the stock, now fits me. Sure was sweet when I was 16 years old !!
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sun May 06, 2012 10:20 pm

Boy , that's a long way for a 410 to hold a pattern close enough to break a edge on target ,27 yds ? Here we shoot 16 yd targets
in a 410 50 bird race , typical scores are high 42 to 45 .I like my Remington Wingmaster 410 26" Old School full choke for this.
Win. 42's are good too ,if you can shoot-em .
3200 man
hunter

Return to Target Shooting