First Time Sporting Clays!!!!

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

First Time Sporting Clays!!!!

Postby CrackerJackShot » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:34 am

So I had wanted to try Sporting Clays for a long time and finally since duck season is over and I refuse to so much as stop cleaning my shotgun and put it down, I decided to take my gf over there and give it a try. When I got started it felt just like dove hunting. I always mess up a ton in the beginning then pull back up above average in the later half. I shot VERY poorly in the beginning. I was shooting my duck gun, a Benelli Nova Pump, and I left my extended FULL choke in my gun. I shot a 63. How is that?! I dont know much about the sporting clays scores and such. The first stations are what account for my crappy score, I only hit 1 or 2 out of the first 4 or so, then I hit anywhere from 7-10 on the others. My gf got a 56.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:03 am

56 is a great score. Sporting clays scores vary from range to range depending on the difficulty of the course.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby quackerkiller » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:04 pm

ive shot sporting class tiwce and shot a 38 out of 50 and 40 out of 50 and the course is one thats used for league or comp shoots.
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby CrackerJackShot » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:14 pm

Yeah I was impressed with my gf. I used to think that she wasnt that good when we went dove hunting. But then duck hunting she only fired 5 shots for 4 birds and then we go to the Sporting Clays and I only beat her by 7 birds. So I guess a 63 aint as bad as I thought maybe?
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:21 pm

Wow there are some good scores there. I am not that good of a shot I shoot between 60's-80's depending on the course.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby CrackerJackShot » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:12 am

Well I dont want to sound like I know anything cause I dont when it comes to how hard it gets on those sporting clays. But the course goes down in the woods and Ive dove and quail hunted all my life and to me those two birds present the toughest kinds of shots youll ever take. Ive gotten to where I can take out my 12 doves with about 20 shots. Some of these shots that were presented on this course were just unbelievable. One funny thing was on station four the launch the targets from a tower about 300 feet up and 120 yards away towards you. When my gf first hit the button we both never saw it until it hit the ground right infront of us. Then I looked way up there and saw the machines, it was crazy!!!! I couldnt hit them at all cause I can never hit anything that I can see comming for more than about 2 seconds. Im more of an impulse shooter. Anybodys courses that they go to have something like that on them ?!?! I thought it was super cool.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Return to Target Shooting