Sporting Clays!!!

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

Sporting Clays!!!

Postby CrackerJackShot » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:35 pm

So I had wanted to try Sporting Clays for a long time and finally since duck season is over and I refuse to so much as stop cleaning my shotgun and put it down, I decided to take my gf over there and give it a try. When I got started it felt just like dove hunting. I always mess up a ton in the beginning then pull back up above average in the later half. I shot VERY poorly in the beginning. I was shooting my duck gun, a Benelli Nova Pump, and I left my extended FULL choke in my gun. I shot a 63. How is that?! I dont know much about the sporting clays scores and such. The first stations are what account for my crappy score, I only hit 1 or 2 out of the first 4 or so, then I hit anywhere from 7-10 on the others. My gf got a 56.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby puddlerjumper » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:47 pm

63 out of 100? Or 63 out of 75? Either way it's great, I went from being the runner up in the state skeet shoot, to going out there and breaking like 38 out of 50. It's a humbling experience. And, it stinks, because you can break the first 34, and then get to a station, and miss all of the targets, because you never get that station down pat, so it's always fun. It's fun going out there wiht buddies who don't get to do it a lot and seeing the looks on their faces when they see some of the shot presentations! :yes:
puddlerjumper
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:44 pm

Yea its a pretty good score. But i wouldnt use a full choke. At least a modified.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Citori12 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:50 am

A round of trap at the 16 yard line rarely do I miss more than one target, skeet, you get 25 shells to hit 24 targets and its more challenging with the doubles but once you have shot one skeet house you have shot them all...sporting clays...haaa haaaa each range is different each target is different. Shooting sporting clays with a pump at some ranges will certainly be a handicap. Some presentations I have seen are almost insane...thats the fun of it....
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby ACEBLDRS » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:54 am

correction: in skeet there are 25 targets.

Personally i feel the same way about trap, as you do skeet.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby Citori12 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:23 am

I stand corrected. However, I do believe the shooter is given one option target. I do not dislike skeet. Its just to me as trap. Once you learn the targets you begin to learn to shoot the game and not the targets. In sporting clays my goal is to not shoot the same targets over and over again. I have 3 ranges that I can shoot and about once a month they change the target presentation. So if I alternate my courses I get plenty of practice on targets of varying presentation. Where as I have shot many a perfect score on trap and skeet I have yet to accomplish that on a decent sporting clays range...one of my ranges has what they call a flurry shoot. You and your buddies (at least 3) get placed in stations simular to a five stand shoot. The automatic trap machines are programmed to throw 100 targets with various intervals from 12 or 13 locations around the stands. You can only load 2 shells at a time and there can be as many as 10 or more targets in the air simultaneously. Your teams job is to hit as many targets as you can. The machines can be programmed with varying speeds and intervals. You can be reloading as targets are flying. OH MY God!!!! what a gas!!!!!! Kinda like trying to knock as many birds out of a flock of doves as you can...If your team can hit 60-70% you guys are hot!!!!
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Return to Target Shooting