First timer

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

First timer

Postby Waterloo » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:36 pm

so i was invited out to the range by my unlce the other day and i think i did ok for a first timer. Hit 21 of 25 at skeet and 18 of 25 at trap. Was shooting my Stoeger 2000. Any tips for improving hoping to go back soon.
Waterloo
hunter

Re: First timer

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:20 am

Sounds to me like you are a "Ringer" doing that well for your fist time ever !!

Practice,makes perfect.....................the more your brain and eyes see those targets,the quicker
the message will get sent to your trigger finger. A split second,does wounders!

Happy shooting.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Waterloo » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:15 pm

thanks, i have been hunting birds and stuff for a while but never done anything like that, was very fun and now makes me wanna get better. guess i should have never went cause now i have been looking at over/under shotguns lol

Now i just need to take that shooting abilty to the duck/dove blind.
Waterloo
hunter

Postby duckbio » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:50 pm

Glad to see you enjoyed yourself. I hope you want to keep shooting these "games". My advice is simple : See it, then shoot it. Don't overthink it.

I agree with the more practice advice. Because I can probably guarantee you can break every single target on the field. Which ones did you miss on the Skeet field by chance?
"Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but political correctness is killing me."
duckbio
hunter

Postby Waterloo » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:38 pm

I missed my first at the 3rd station and it was on a double got the firt but second had gotten to far away. then missed 2 from the 4th stand on the ones going directly in front of me from left to right. then missed the back end of 2 doubles.
Waterloo
hunter

Postby duckbio » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:51 pm

Do you shoot low gun, or do you already mount the gun,then call for pull? #3 station should only be singles...... Unless your shooting a different format.
"Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but political correctness is killing me."
duckbio
hunter

Postby Waterloo » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:45 am

Your right it was a single thinking back on it, I was shooting some already mounted and some mounting as i said pull. just trying to switch it up some because in the duck blind and dove field you dont always have the gun mounted and ready.
Waterloo
hunter

Postby duckbio » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:06 pm

Do you shoot with one eye open, or both eyes?
duckbio
hunter

Postby Waterloo » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:36 pm

Just one eye open for me.
Waterloo
hunter

Postby duckbio » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:43 pm

What choke are you shooting? You really do want to start with the most open choke you have to widen your pattern.

Ok, I have a few things that helped me out, feel free to use them. I'll only address the ones you missed. It helped me out to start learning how to shoot the game with keeping the gun up, so I only had to focus on one thing at a time. On station #3, it helped me to start my gun farther away from the house rather than back all the way up to the house because I found myself playing catch-up the whole way across the field. Also, I usually try and start my gun on the same level as the bird comes out of the house. My advice for station 4 would be to try a little bit farther lead on the bird. On the right side of the field, it helped me when shooting doubles if I shot the high house where I would normally shoot that bird during the doubles. In other words, let the high house come across the field to you instead of shooting it before it crosses mid field.
duckbio
hunter

Postby circustrail » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:37 am

what's important is you enjoyed the experience :)
circustrail
hunter

Return to Target Shooting