Some pictures for Tucker

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

Some pictures for Tucker

Postby TomKat » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:20 am

I have been working up some loads for my .243

The gun is a Savage model 10, and like all Savage rifles, it shoots great out of the box.

These were 60 grn Sierra boattail bullets, pushed by Varget powder. I think this is the load I am going to hunt with. Yesterday was windy, and I cant deny the consistency. MOA is always a good thing!

First group- I knew this combination was going to work

Adjusted the scope settings and got this group. I am ready to mass produce this load and go hunting

TomKat
Dorothy

Re: Some pictures for Tucker

Postby TomKat » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:55 pm

WOW! 183 "hunters" have looked at this post, and not one person has a comment of any kind? Well girls, in case you have never witnessed this first hand, this is called accurate shooting 101
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:36 pm

Come on Tom, wasn't it you who said to shoot 5 shot groups and not 3? You know, to keep things more consistent? And thats some decent shooting and all, but check these out :hi: :beer: . (I know I posted these somewhere before but this was some target shooting with the 6mm Ackley Improved)

100 yards, 5 shots. I'll admit that I pulled that one BUT it was a windy day.
100.jpg

200 yards, 5 shots. Group opened up a little bit, but like I said, it was pretty windy. Could have also been the load but still pretty good.
200.jpg
Let there be welders, to attach metal to other metal things. Genesis 1:36

Kenlee's Krew Pro Staff
MOhuntingGuy
Mrs. Red Ryder

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:20 am

5 shots 100 yds from my Browning A-Bolt 300 WSM 180gr Accubond 2980fps
300wsm jpg.jpg

3 shots 100 yds with 450 Marlin Guide gun and ghost ring sights 300gr hard cast lead and varget powder close to 2500fps. No I did not expect this out of a lever. When we walked down the guy next to me sighting in his 223 varmint rifle made several comments about using my gun for coyotes. Sold it because the recoil was unbarable, More than my 300 WSM by a lot and very close to my 458 win mag because it was so light I guess. Yes in the pic I am off the target high, These things drop like a rock @ 300 yds so I had to sight it in real high.
DCP_0049.JPG

The top Left is an 18" RRA AR at 100 yds with Wolf ammo, Right is same rifle with Hornady V-Max. Have since worked up a nice sub MOA load of Barnes bullets for my daughter to hunt deer with. The center 2 are my A-Bolt 243 Left with 100gr and it does not like any loads of 100grainers. and the right is with 70gr. I Really pulled the one but it will shoot this load with 5 rounds thru the same ragged hole. the bottom is 55gr. The thing with these 3 targets is that I did not make ANY scope adjustments at all. The 70gr shot low but the 100's and 55's were at the same POI. :huh:
target.jpg
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:26 am

MOhuntingGuy

I like the 200 yd target. :thumbsup:

My cousin has a remington PSS (police sniper I think it is called) and can manage 1" @ 200 yds 10 shots with 165gr reloads. SLOW fire and not heating up the barrel. I need to get out to the 300yd range again with my new loads and see what they will do. :biggrin:

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TomKat » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:19 am

Nice! I knew there were some more shooters on here. I thought Tucker might be one of them, but I guess he just has a rifle to show pictures of. Anyway, that guide gun was a shooter, but they are not fun to shoot from the bench. The one I shot was in .45-70

Eric, you are right, 5 shots is the way to go. Those were actually test loads, and I was looking for the right load. I will post up the 5 shot groups when I get them all loaded up. Nice shooting btw.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:00 pm

Next time I'm down to the gun range, I will take the 6mm AI again and hopefully it won't be as windy. And I'll actually take the sand bags and do some real shooting :yes: .

I'm also curios what I can do with our '03-A3 Springfield at 200 yards with just iron sights. I shot like a 4 inch group at a hundred yards just off of my jacket rolled up.
Let there be welders, to attach metal to other metal things. Genesis 1:36

Kenlee's Krew Pro Staff
MOhuntingGuy
Mrs. Red Ryder

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:37 am

MOhuntingGuy wrote:I'm also curios what I can do with our '03-A3 Springfield at 200 yards with just iron sights. I shot like a 4 inch group at a hundred yards just off of my jacket rolled up.

I shot a lot of matches out to 600 yds with open sights using a Springfield M1A National match Rifle. And witnessed a lot of good scores at that range out of AR15's, and M1 Garands too. I could easily keep 10 rounds in a less than a paper plate size group at 600 yds. Open sights are great until you start not being able to focus properly then it gets harder :mad:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby one2many » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:40 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:
MOhuntingGuy wrote:I'm also curios what I can do with our '03-A3 Springfield at 200 yards with just iron sights. I shot like a 4 inch group at a hundred yards just off of my jacket rolled up.

I shot a lot of matches out to 600 yds with open sights using a Springfield M1A National match Rifle. And witnessed a lot of good scores at that range out of AR15's, and M1 Garands too. I could easily keep 10 rounds in a less than a paper plate size group at 600 yds. Open sights are great until you start not being able to focus properly then it gets harder :mad:

anyone that likes target shooting should at least one time watch if not sign up and shoot at Camp Perry what some of them do with open sights with service rifles is out standing
I'm way too baked to drive to the devil's house.
one2many
hunter

Postby one2many » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:42 pm

everybody them are some nice looking groups
I'm way too baked to drive to the devil's house.
one2many
hunter

Postby TomKat » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:29 pm

Thanks for that. I strive for consistent groups more than anything.

I have been to Camp Perry, to the 1,000 yard range. Its a world class facility.

Iron sights- the fact of the matter is, at age 50 my eyes are not as good as they used to be. I am pretty much a scope shooter any more. I shoot for fun, but more often than not to practice for hunting coyotes and to test loads.

I have been prairie dog shooting a number of times, and plan on going again in the future.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby goodkarmarising » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:37 pm

I got nothing, but I did stay at a holiday inn.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:32 pm

It will be interresting how it will shoot some 100gr bullets if you deceide to use it on deer,some time down the road.
You don't need the real fancy bullets, the standard winchester lead tip or Rem Cor-Lok both will do all that is needed.
Since you reload the Noslers might be worth looking at,though.

Wounder what imr 4064 might do for that rifle ? MY 22-250 and 270 like this powder and yours is right in the middle of these two loadings.

Good shooting.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby TomKat » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:17 pm

I have a few boxes of 100 grn ammo for my 6MM somewhere-

I will use the .243 as a varmint rifle. I know it would be fine on deer, but I tend to use my .270 Win or my Pre 64 Model 70 in .30-06 for deer any more.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby circustrail » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:44 am

I am deeply envious of those shots :biggrin:
circustrail
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:58 pm

circustrail wrote:I am deeply envious of those shots :biggrin:

I am curious why you guys have 3 to five separate holes? If I'm sober and the wind is under 80 mph I don't feel good unless I have one slightly enlarged 5 shot hole. You must go through a lot of targets that way! And 200 hundred yards? We just shoot from the hip at those! Or toss a slver dollar in the air and go for ricochet shots. :biggrin: Ah well, there's CA and there's Civil War Territory. Oh, maybe that's it...you guys still shooting smoothbores? We used to throw dimes in the air and see who could knock out the manufacture dates in numerical order. That and light a wooden match with one shot and put it out with the next before all the sulfur was burned off.
Lot of fun games if you practice a little. Snub-nose 38 is a good target gun too once you shoot it a few times. Another good one is to set up a target, not too far, maybe 50 yards, pitch a 38 wadcutter up, shoot it with your Colt or S & W 2" barrel 38 and try to get a good target score with the pitched bullet. All just adds a little competition to a pretty simple game. I love shootin' but wish I was as good as my pappy!
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby tucker301 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:59 pm

I'm really sorry, man. I just saw this thread when I came here to post some targets from my fun day at the range today.
Nice 3 shot groups, but every shooter knows that the truth comes through in #s 4-5.

I like shooting groups, but these practical targets I shot today were were a real fun challenge.

Here's my best group from my 12FVSS - 5 rounds @100

I'll post today's stuff in a new thread, because it's hardly apples to apples to what you're doing here.
tucker301
hunter

Postby TomKat » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:47 am

That was shot with a long bull barrel Savage?
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby tucker301 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:27 am

I had the barrel cut and re-crowned to 24" - factory fluted varmint barrel.
tucker301
hunter

Postby TomKat » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:28 am

What is the pratical targets/shooting you refer too?
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby tucker301 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:37 pm

tucker301
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:18 am

Thanks for those targets Tucker! I took a couple screen shots of those images and will plot them on a 8.5x11 for when I get to shooting next :smile:
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Return to Target Shooting