Shooting Glasses Lense Color

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

Shooting Glasses Lense Color

Postby duckbio » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:15 pm

I've been shooting with only clear lenses on my shooting glasses and have noticed that a lot of people have different color lenses. I know that yellow lenses are good for cloudy days and clear is alright for all around, but I was wondering when you would use other colors.
"Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but political correctness is killing me."
duckbio
hunter

Re: Shooting Glasses Lense Color

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:59 pm

Dark days c/o yellow lens
Bright days c/o gray, brown etc.............

Depends also on the color of the birds............are they red, white, chart. ?
Reno has chart yellow and purple ,helps pick up these birds better.

Depends also on the back ground....dirt,trees, snow ??

Good luck.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby duckbio » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:28 pm

Well, I thought the blaze orange ones were the standard as those and the white ones are the only ones I have ever shot. Being in the desert, most of the time the background is brown, but occasionally there are times when the background is green.
"Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but political correctness is killing me."
duckbio
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:59 am

Eveyone has their color that they like, you might just look at all the shades and ask other shooters what they think of colors
and why,to get an idea of what you might want to try. Some sets come with 2-3 colors that can be changed out.

The "wrap around" are what I use,to keep them on my head due to recoil............since the regular frames tend to slip around
when shooting and need to be pushed back on.
Last edited by Sagebrush on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby petrel » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:50 pm

I think everyone perceives color a bit differently. I have great difficulty picking out a target against a green backdrop. Purple lenses are the ticket for me, for that, otherwise I just use clear or amber. If you get Randolph Rangers, the lenses are relatively inexpensive. You can experiment with some of the most popular colors and decide what works best for you.
petrel
hunter

Postby hawkeye55 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:48 am

My son and I like the color mag (CMT) from Ranger for most clay target conditions, the targets jump out from the background, this is on our frames the most. he uses the medium yellow and I the pale yellow in very low light; and we both like the sunset orange under the right conditions. For hunting a bronze or copper lens is best (get the polorized and use it to fish as well). here are some links that should help;

http://www.randolphusa.com/product-categories/ranger/

http://www.morganoptical.net/pageDispla ... ageid=7626

both web sites have tabs for lense color/lenses (use the Ranger xlw lense options tab) with optimal uses for the color
hawkeye55
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:25 am

I tried Vermillion a couple of years ago and have been using them every since. :thumbsup:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Target Shooting