Factory Trap shells

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

Factory Trap shells

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:48 pm

I have shot winchester ,Federal,Reminton and Estates and all work pretty good for most shooters.

The other day I tried out some 12 Ga. Rio, 3 dram #8's at the trap club.

They worked very well but the big surprise was how.........................
"Clean" the barrel was, after shooting two boxs.

I don't know what they load but I sure would not mind getting my hands of some of that powder!!
Sagebrush
hunter

Re: Factory Trap shells

Postby 3200 man » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:13 pm

Sage , Save those Rio hulls , they make good reloads for waterfowling . Also , try some of Rio's steel loads .I shot them up
in Oregon with really good results , they are Better than most Factory offerings .
Rio's Top Trap 1 1/8 oz HC loads , pattern really good out of my .740+ Maxus barrel at 40 yds , which keeps me at the 27 yd line.
the 1 oz 8's for most SC shots out to 35 yds ,7 1/2 for any farther and windy days . J and S Wholesale sells the Rio's as cheap as
anybody . Talk Darlene into stocking them ,if she hasn't already .
3200 man
3200 man
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:27 pm

I bought 4 cases of Rio (2 in 20ga and 2 in 12ga) and have shot a few. I bought them because they were $4 a box but the ones I got are all have a 6 point crimp. They shoot fine and are a clean load. I get the same results with STS's or AA's I never have any powder residue in the barrels and they look nice and bright even after 100 rounds. but if I shoot the "gun club" or "top gun" loads I get a dark barrel and a lot of left over powder. I will buy more of them if they go on sale again as they end up costing less than reloading if I figure in all of the components and my time to load them.

P1010114.JPG

P1010115.JPG

P1010116.JPG
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Force Fetch » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:23 am

I have been shooting Kemen shells for the past two years with the same result. Not a lot of powder buildup and no signs of unburned powder in the reciever. I also hunt huns and sharpies withthe 1 1/8 oz loads, deadly to about 40 yards.
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:13 pm

I like the Rio Top Trap loads , very clean burning and at a good price . These shells work for trap or sporting clays in 1 oz or
1 1/8 oz and they work really good for reloading steelshot ,I'm told ! There is a good supplier in Jackson ,Ca at 209 223 3091
3200 man
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Thu May 03, 2012 10:44 am

Holly cow...................

Blue,Star Teams have high BRASS !! You don't see that much with trap loads,now a days.

Sure adds a lot to data for those that reload,maybe ?

I prefer 8 points but 6 crimps will work, just have to use the Mec Jr, no big thing.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu May 03, 2012 11:33 pm

Sage , Have you loaded any Star Team (CHEDite) hulls with steelshot ? How about the Rio green hulls ? I'm always looking for
advice from someone that knows ,what they're doing when it comes to reloading shot shells .....Thanks
3200 man
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue May 08, 2012 5:00 pm

Who makes the S&B hulls? I just picked up a case of S&B Sproting clays loads for $49 and they too are high brass #7.5's but Kick like H@ll. The patterns pretty much suck in the new O/U too but shoot very nice in the SBEII. I am out of the loop when it comes to the "teams" What is the star team anyway? or is it just a name of the load?

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 3200 man » Wed May 09, 2012 10:05 pm

The Star Team loads are Rio's top of the line target loads ,very consistant and sell for about the same as Nitro 27's and Win's
super sporting . They have a little more recoil than I like but ,are very good patterning in my 32 " Brn 425 ,30" Maxus carbon fiber with the .740 bores useing Briley chokes . I do like the Top trap line from Rio , saying that ,I've been saving the hulls for
reloading steelshot Duck loads ,from what I've been told they are a chedite hull . As far as the S and B's , I've only shot maybe
2 boxes ,don't know much about them other than it's not the perfered shell in the target games . You sure didn't pay much for them so , shoot-em at close belly on targets and have fun .
3200 man
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Thu May 10, 2012 9:06 am

3200;
Have yet to load any Euro shells............but the main thing is to cut one open and really eye ball the
construction of the case to see if it is straight or a tapered hull, uni,2 pc, high or low base wad inside etc etc......
It is all about make up and case volume.

Most of the "Game Loads" are 6 crimps,since they might be easier to make or that most of the dies and set ups in the major loading companys are set up for this style of shell.

With todays safty standards, I would think all shells made today are very safe and just need the correct data to enjoy
reloading and more shooting while also saving on the cost of the shells. Should be some loading data out there some where.

They should be straight wall hulls and if thats the case, you might want to go to Precission, and look up the B&P wads
28 and 32 for your factory loads or the 24 for in your face birds. If loading lead go to the Federal "large diamiter" wads
to help prevent powder blow by, better than the rem,win and cb wads.

later.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu May 10, 2012 3:58 pm

thanks sage , That's the way I do it too ,by looking into the hull capacity and wheather it's base wad is long or short gives me
an idea as to what I can expect to get out of the load .In checking out the Rio hulls ,I'm finding the blue one with the short
brass have lower base wads and some Green hulls have taller brass and longer base wads ,Humm ? I shot with a fella down in
Kingburg on a pot shoot , that was useing the Rio's with the short brass , he had loaded these hulls up with 1 1/4 oz of 5's and
26 grs of Blue Dot with Buffer , very impressive and hard to beat !
As far as volume , STS's ,feds,estates are pretty good but ,not as good as Actives ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sat May 12, 2012 10:25 am

FPS is all about case volume and powders........for example, using 17.5 grs of Red Dot in trap loads with lead #8 pellets
I get these readings from my chrony at 3 feet.

Rem STS @ 1205 fps
Estate ...... 1165 fps
Fed GMedal...1152 fps
Fed paper base .....1140 fps. One reason this hull starts out a 1oz load at 1290 fps with 21grs of Red Dot. Not
the best hull to streach your powder out,in the long run.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sat May 12, 2012 12:03 pm

Sage , That's Good Info you have there ! There are several Fellas at the Club that shoot that ! oz Estate load at 1165 for 16 yd
targets and do well with them . With a LT Mod or Mod you have enough pellets with 8's to smoke any target angle thrown .
I like a 700 X load of 17grs in a Win. hull for 16's and first shot on doubles and 18 grs with 1 1/8 oz for my back Fence targets.
With those Estate hulls any more than 2 reloads ,I have preasure loss so ,I pitch them but the GM's reloaded 4 or 5 times stay
pretty good .
3200 man
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat May 12, 2012 12:38 pm

Sagebrush wrote:Estate ...... 1165 fps
Fed GMedal...1152 fps

That makes sense. Estates are made by federal and I thought they were the same internal hull design as the GM.

I just gave away about 1000 once fired Federal GM Paper hulls after having them up for sale for several months, it seems no one likes to reload them around here.

I load a lot of the remington Gun Club (STS type hull) because they are plentiful / free. They shoot as good for me as any other hull I have tried with 1oz or 1-1/8 oz 7.5's around 1200fps. I only load them once and leave them so I do not know how many loads you could get out of them.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Sagebrush » Sat May 12, 2012 11:39 pm

I reload the Estates two times c/o the 1oz loads with the 12so wads but some of them might need a drop of candle wax
since some times the crimp is not always perfect. They take too much powder for 1 1/8oz loads,for me, lots of better hulls that use less powder but a good deal, when they are free ,if you can find them for 1oz loads. You might also try the AA12L 7/8oz wads if your crimps are too deep if you use powders with minimal grains and that are not "Fluffy" like Red Dot. My minimum e3 load for a 1oz Estate load is 16.2 for around 1180fps, 16.7 for around 1230fps, which has a good crimp and no wax needed.

I also use Rem Gun Clubs and have an X-lite 1oz #8 at 1090fps with w209,13.5gr e3 and a WW12L wad but 17grs of Red Dot
gives a Fac 1180fps with cb1100 and a w209.

These throw away hulls have worked ok for me but I did have THREE Federal paper base wad hulls fail to chaimber in my 12Ga. O/U........due to the "brass" cracking / peeling back. I do not use these for reloading any more and now full resize the others,just to be on the safe side, just in case the alum/what ever has been streached.
One reason I save real Brass hulls for serious field or trap shooting, knowing that they feed in every gun that I own.

I found out a few days ago, using Green Dot for HDCP (1st time ever)...1 1/8 oz....Rem STS,w209, 18.3 grains , cb3118 wad
might be what they call a starting or X-Lite load........only 1116 fps !! Green @ 19.5 works a lot better.
later
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri May 25, 2012 7:42 am

Sage ,
Don't tell those East Coast Boys about any fast target loads ,they shoot slow targets back there and really don't need the
speed .In your area at 4000 ft elevation ,you don't need them ether ,unless the wind is blowing , and that would be 362 dayout of the year ,right ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Fri May 25, 2012 11:25 am

3200;

I think Reno might be the Nations #1 kite testing spot in the USofA !!

If you don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes ...............................

for example, today friday, May 25th Rain and SNOW expected today.
Yesterday went fishing, FOG and 32 degrees at 6:40am......................
This tuesday perdicted to be 90 degrees.

Hello ??
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri May 25, 2012 2:52 pm

Sage ,
Over here all I have to contend with is Cow Crap on my boots ,dust in the air ,Nut trees being sprayed ,potatoes being planted , tractors running all night and Really Good hunting , OH well .I've lasted this long so ,I guess I'll stick around another
65 years , I hope ! The neighbors already have flooded-up for rice planting and in the back hemi-marsh duck chicks everywhere.
When the time comes ,the wife and I will head-up North to avoid the hot weather (Oregon and Wyoming) .
3200 man
hunter

Return to Target Shooting